5.0 out of 5 stars An introduction...
Hello,
Published on 6 July 2005 by Hayley

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Sorry Hayley
A lot of people seem to really like this album - which is the reason i bought it - i like female singers and always get excited about the prospect of discovering another interesting artist.

Published on 4 July 2007 by D. Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars An introduction..., 6 July 2005
Hello,
I wanted to be the first to type a little note about my album 'Independently Blue'. It's probably considered "not very cool" to do so but i felt that an introduction was needed. I took out a loan and recorded this album in January of last year in Seven days. I gathered friends and musicians into the studio and recorded it pretty much live. It turned out to be the most fun and creative week of my life. The plan was to sell it at my gigs and via my website. Since then, my little organic self-funded album is beginning to take on a life of its own. More people are hearing it than i'd ever expected and it's even been playlisted on BBC Radio 2 to my surprise. It is now being re-released through the independent label Gut Records. I've given it 5 stars as i'm obviously bias but mostly because i'm proud of it and proud of the people who helped me create it. This album is an introduction and i'd love to have the opportunity to record many more in the future. I hope you enjoy the album for what it is and what it becomes for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute bliss, 6 July 2005
"miley50" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Independently Blue (Audio CD)
Taking the title of the album from a lyric by Nina Simone, York-based singer-songwriter Hayley Hutchinson scatters a handful of impressive influences across her debut album that is both intensely personal and pleasingly accessible.
Not to be lumped into the same category as Dido, Norah Jones, Katie Melua et al, Hayley sits more comfortably with the likes of Joni Mitchell, Alison Krauss and Mary Hopkin with a hint of The Sundays' Harriet Wheeler; at once frail and vulnerable yet accomplished and powerful, and with an identity all her own.
'Independently Blue' is alternately upbeat and melancholy, toe-tapping and bluesy with absolutely no filler. All the tracks are standouts; half of them are warmingly happy and summery ('Deadman', a cracking opener punctuated by handclaps, 'Minor Key' and the title track to name three), the other half achingly heartfelt ('Climb Through', 'I Have To Say I Love You', 'Hands'). That's without mentioning the blinding single 'Here's The Love' and the utterly addictive 'Wicked Thoughts', a stunning ode to misplaced love, with the most surprising and delighting finale. Try not singing along with that one...
Wonderfully produced by Shed Seven's Fraser Smith, and with guest musicians including Seahorses' Chris Helme, this album rewards the listener time and time again. The absolute must-buy of 2005 from a rising star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Independently Blue, 9 July 2005
This review is from: Independently Blue (Audio CD)
When I first heard this CD I was completely blown away. It took me back to some of the sounds and feelings of my earlier days (The Sundays, Joni Mitchell, Wilco, Natalie Merchant, Loretta Lyn, and rhythms of Crosby, Stills, and Nash).
Hayley Hutchinson's independent debut album has the hallmark of true success. The album begins with an upbeat Sheryl Crow (esq) 'Deadman'. Hayley's voice is angelic, strong, organic, and passionate; it's a voice that makes you feel something. That is the point of art, music, poetry...you need to be stopped and experience a feeling.
All the songs flow gently from the minute you press play on your CD player, however a few stick out, 'Independently Blue', 'Here's The Love', and 'Wicked Thoughts.' The song and title of the album, 'Independently Blue', create a wonderful paradox that wraps my mind up with thoughts of what I have done and what I will do. I urge you to add Independently Blue to your CD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joni Mitchell is alive and well and living in York, 8 July 2005
This review is from: Independently Blue (Audio CD)
I first came across this CD last summer (2004) and was instantly captivated by it. Not for a long time have I heard such haunting vocals mixed with inspirational song writing. It made me both remember my past but also look forward with hope to the future. If artists like Hayley Hutchinson continue to produce music like this then I will be happy to be part of this world.
'Deadman' creeps into your soul and gives it a damn good shaking, whereas 'Here is the Love' lifts you from your worst ever doldrum to the highest of highs in the flick of your fingers. This girl has got everything. You can't go wrong. I dare you not to fall in love with this CD and this girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joni Mitchell is alive and well and living in York, 6 July 2005

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first release, 6 July 2005
This review is from: Independently Blue (Audio CD)
Hayley gets off to a flying start with this album. Some tracks bear more than a passing similarity to the sound of Sheryl Crow's Tuesday Night Music Club, but that's no bad thing; after all it was MS Crow's best album.
There's some great songs on here, nothing too in your face, and it's nicely produced. It'll sit well in your CD collection, great to listen too on a lazy summer's day.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Sorry Hayley, 4 July 2007
D. Thompson "tommo" (leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Independently Blue (Audio CD)

Unfortunately for me this was not one of them. Rather than bash away aimlessly at Hayley i'll explain my reasons - and remember this is just my opinion and it may help others decide whether this album is for them.

In order for you to get an understanding of where my tatses and judgements come from i will tell you that i like my music to be bit different - a bit alternative, something to open me up and get me listening.

I find Hayleys album very very pleasant. it doesn't have anything majorly wrong it - she has a great vocie and her music has some decent tunes but all in all i just found it washed past me without me even noticing it. Its all a bit too 'nice' for me. It is completely innofensive music that doesnt demand much from the listener. It is very easy listening and doesnt sound that much different from a band like the Corrs to be honest.

Fair enough she doesnt have as cheesy lyrics as Sarah mcloughlin - and her music is not over produced slick pop like that of Avril Lavigne or Liz Phairs later work.

But it is doesnt have anything about it to stand out from the crowd - she is not gritty like Carina Round, nor does she have that emotional frailty of Leona Naess - nor the sophistication of Aimme mann. She doesnt play with rock like PJ Harvy does- and does not test the waters of acceptable lyrics like Tori Amos would do.

Hayley would sound fantastic playing acousticaly in cafe bar on a warm summers evening - but after repeated listens it doesnt offer much more than something that is easy on the ear.

If you dont like alternative music then this may be right up your street! there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it - but if you like any of the above artists you may find this a bit bland.

I haven't heard any of her later stuff - but i would like to see her add a bit more variation to her music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go and see her live, 25 Oct 2006
This review is from: Independently Blue (Audio CD)
I saw this lady as a support act to eric bibb and was blown away by her peformance. What a talent waiting to be unearthed . a varied and interesting debut, my personal favourite is 'independently blue ' but all the tracks are well written and performed with a great and distinctive voice.

Independently Blue
Independently Blue by Hayley Hutchinson (Audio CD - 2005)