5.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic trip
Published on 5 Dec 2009 by red reader

1.0 out of 5 stars the dvd I received is only suitable to operate in ...
the dvd I received is only suitable to operate in usa or Canada so I cannot use it here. I require either a dvd I can use here or a refund
Published 4 months ago by hugh stitt

5.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic trip, 5 Dec 2009
This review is from: Cardinal [DVD] [1963] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
I suppose being a catholic I was drawn to this film because it portrayed many of the old doctrines and beliefs that I grew up with as a boy but have questioned in later life. It is many years since I saw this film on the big screen but it stayed in my mind which is why I decided to buy the Dvd. I found that I enjoyed it as much as when first saw it although perhaps a little more aware now of some of the actors shortcomings but, overall, I have to say I still think it is a good film. It may seem a little long to those not of the catholic faith but I think it did try to give a balanced view in its approach to its religious theme. Production standards were high and, as always, Jerome Moross created a lovely musical background. It was good to see the lovely Romy Schneider again after so many years. She was an underrated actress I feel. The Dvd itself if a first class copy and could have been made yesterday. Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cardinal [DVD] [1963] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
just read the book,wanted to see the film
really enjoyed it,well worth it good value.
obviously a bit dated but would recomend

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing this one's a cardinal sin!, 20 July 2005
By A Customer
This is of its time. Even so, it's a masterpiece. In brief, it's a tale about a man's need to love, and the variety of personages and ways in which he attempts to do so. It's a quiet epic, sometimes overacted, often understated, but one that's worth watching over and again. Inspiring and enlightening by turns, Preminger's film is, simply , superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the film "The Cardinal", 13 April 2014
This review is from: Cardinal [DVD] [1963] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
I havn't watched it yet, as it has to be played through from my computer.
The reason for my giving it a 5 star rating is because I remembered watching it in the cinema in 1963 when it came out,and remember it as a brilliant film.

1.0 out of 5 stars the dvd I received is only suitable to operate in ..., 26 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cardinal fabulous film, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Cardinal [DVD] [1963] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
Absolutely love this film and im over the moon as region 1 plays in changed to no region dvd player. I remenber this film when first shown in 1963 a different world to that if today. Its like Life on Mars now only in reverse. It was far superior then and I saw this film as a young lad then. Still as gripping now as it was then and its musical score is fantastic. Its ab epic in its own right and very well acted. Always loved Carol Lynley she is a stunner. Buy this film you will thoroughly enjoy it for years ti come. Its my all time favourite. 10 out of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive!, 7 Jan 2014
Adrian Drew (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cardinal [DVD] [1963] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
Although this film never received major critical approval on its release and its production history was troubled to say the least ( Preminger's mistreatment of Tom Tryon is both legendary and disgusting) it sure packs a punch today. From such potentially worrying subject matter - faith, and the nature of Catholicism etc - the director has created a moving, honest and totally convincing (considering its Hollywood background and year of production) and very moving portrait of a young man ( Tryon is much better than one has been led to believe) coming to terms with the extraordinary demands of entering the priesthood and the major challenges facing civilisation ( racism and the rise of the Nazi movement during a very turbulent period of world history.)

For me the movie is up there with Zinnerman's "The Nun's Story" and the adaptation of the classic novel "The Razor's Edge", in its attempt to capture the highly complex issue of the nature of faith and human belief, and present it with humanity and conviction. Beautifully shot in locations throughout the world this 3 hour epic receives a terrific audio and video transfer on this rather rare DVD. No - the film won't appeal to everyone, but I found it enjoyable, emotionally engaging, and really rather impressive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommendation, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Cardinal [DVD] [1963] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
This film is well done and follows the life of a priest (later Cardinal) through the hectic times of the 20th Century, especially before 1970). Given the chaos and dissolution now evident in the Catholic Church, the moral problems of the Cardinal may be remote from any analysis of today's Catholicism, an outgrowth of Vat II. Nevertheless, the Cardinal is faced with some moral dilemmas, e.g., can he permit a late term abortion by his sister (too sick to chose) or not? This problem is quite contemporary.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cardinal an original story by Henry Morton Robinson, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Cardinal [DVD] [1963] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
I first saw this film in the early 1960's and was so impressed by it I bought the book. I recently recommended to my daughter and when I found it on amazon I just had to buy it. It arrived in the morning post on 13/6/'13 in perfect condition. Thank you.
It is a wonderful story very well acted on film.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's the use of going to all this trouble to be Catholic?, 19 April 2013
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cardinal [DVD] [1963] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
The Cardinal is directed by Otto Preminger and adapted to screenplay by Robert Dozier from the novel of the same name written by Henry Morton. It stars Tom Tryon, Romy Schneider, Carol Lynley, Dorothy Gish, Ossie Davis, Burgess Meredith, John Huston, Cecil Kellaway and Maggie McNamara. Music is by Jerome Moross and cinematography by Leon Shamroy.

Film follows the life of Irish Catholic priest Stephen Fermoyle (Tryon) from his ordination to his appointment as a cardinal. His journey over time will see him tackle crisis' within his own family, a struggle with his faith, racism and fascism.

Preminger's epic vision is evident, the visuals often superlative and attention to detail is rather magnificent, yet The Cardinal is too bloated and too episodic for its own good. In what is clearly meant to be a detailed examination of the Catholic Church and faith, both good and bad, just comes off as film makers straining for emotional wallop instead of challenging the viewers.

Film is basically strung together in one by one formation. One scene finds Fermoyle (Tryon looking quite lost at times) faced with something nasty, the next is how he deals with it. Then the next nasty thing comes his way, and then he deals with it. And so on and so on. Ok, maybe it is a bit literate at times, desperately reaching out for some poetic worth, and Preminger has camera fluidity in abundance, but the script is too often flaccid, even corny, and there's just not enough pulse raising performances around Tryon to make the near three hour experience worth it

If cut by an hour, with a better leading man and with a script writer willing to really get gritty with the source, then The Cardinal may have been a far better movie. As it is it's a misfire that wastes possibilities all over the shop. 5/10

ARRAY(0xb26d3e64)