Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 August 2005
If you don't see my location on here yet, believe it or not, I'm from the US, out of all places, reviewing this album. Kano is literally, a U.K. continuation of Jay Z, except he is much better. "I love money, don't get me wrong, but its more what the songs like ." - Has jay Z ever said that? Don't think so. But everything else on this album has Jay Z's trademark all over it, from the way Kano does the chorouses, to the way he suddendly slows down in his verses, to the way where he acts so cocky to the point where he really just is the s**t.
Whereas Jay Z has been in mainstream for a while, this guy is just coming up from the UK underground scene, supposedly, yet he spits fire better than many mainstream rappers in the US who have been around a long time - "I got punchlines / and I got kick lines / And I aint commericial but I got hit lines." While I'm not saying that the UK rap scene is better overall (sorry people), this and the new Mitchell Brothers album really hit me hard due to how suprisingly unique these albums were, and why some other people in the U.S. just don't "get it."
Production on the other hand, is a pure gem. I've never heard original MIDI production with no sampling this good in my life. Whoever produces for Kano (I know Kano does some himself and the Mitchell brothers do some) really, really knows what they are doing with MIDI and has an excellent background in music theory, especially for "grime" hip hop beats.
Highlights:
Nite Nite (mitchell brothers beat for this is crazy)
The title track
P's & Q's
Signs in life (this track hits hard as hell and Kano rips it for 6 minutes)
on 27 June 2005
I have waited in anticipation for this album ever since December last year when I first heard the infectious 'Ps & Qs' on Chanel U. Six and a half months later, Kano finally drops his debut album 'Home Sweet Home'. This is without a doubt the most original LP to come out of the UK and will beat any modern US hip hop album hands down. Kanos lyrics are sublime, each line he drops contains typicaly British matters such as football, cups of tea, clubbing and Eastenders! Kano touches on his days as a Chelsea apprentice in the fantastic 9 to 5 (which is far to short at just 2 minutes 10 seconds). Kano blames his laziness and the fact that his always in bed for his turn to the mic ("Then I gave up, now i'm in the music biz and i wont ever let my laziness ruin this"). The beats are very original, mixing rock and hip hop together to produce a very original sounding grime. This album is better then i anticipated, its wonderfully crafted and unlike other albums such as 'The Massacre' or 'Showtime', Kano has obviously tried to introduce something new to Hip Hop and has devouted himself entirely to the project. A hot album that will be very difficult to top by any artist this year!!
on 15 January 2007
I originally ignored this album due to my slight prejudice against mainstream acts such as the streets. Since being subjected to it in my mate's car i have come around to recognise Kano one of the better UK rappers out there. His flow and the number of times he switches it up is sick. The beats are good too. He is easily up there with the UK's finest Jehst, Life, Cy Philly, Klashnekoff, Kyza, Chester P, Scor-zay-zee, Cappo et al. And thats one of the good things about him, he appeals to fans of seriously good rappers such as those i have just mentioned, and also talentless wastemen like lethal bizzle (a complete joke!). Hopefully he can convert a few grime fans to real hip hop. Before anyone tries to defend lethal drivel plz check out some tracks from the above MC's and hear some actual talent on the mic.
on 12 October 2005
Decent album, I wouldnt go as far to say that this is top draw but definatly not a bad debut. I know terms such as "The Best Lyricist in UK Hip Hop" are being thrown around, but I wouldnt pay much attention to that! Although he does flow, he is no Jehst, Klashnekoff, Kyza and this album is very commercial. I would say if you like your mainstream uk hip hop buy this album.
on 22 October 2005
This album is so good. Usually i listen to US hiphop/rap but Kano's lyrics and beats show a pure talent over the rest.
I would recommend this cd definitely, i put this cd on at a houseparty last week and the dance floor was full all night. Definitely would recommend.
on 27 August 2005
I'm not into the garage/grime ting either! However this album is an intelligent masterpiece. Buy it and you wont be disappointed. The tunes are so good that they'd have even the most conservative of Daily Mail readers bouncing in their Milton Keynes homes.
on 5 December 2005
It's always good to hear more UK hip hop and Kano delivers a fine set of tracks on Home Sweet Home! There is certainly a very refreshing and interesting blend of moods expressed on this album. Tunes like 'Ghetto Kid' and 'How we livin' obviously hint at harder times in life whereas 'I don't know why' and 'remember me' are more accessible as feel-good, uplifiting tracks! The beats in the album are very solid and Kano delivers strong lyrics that a lot of people will feel they can relate to. Rather than girls, guns and cars, Kano hits on some of the less materialistic things in life throughout this album and that's what makes it a winner! I would say that all in all it's a must for any UK hip-hop fans out there!
on 30 September 2005
i saw theese reviews that said 5 star this 5 star that and i thought it was just thoose people who give anything good fivestars and anything bad one! i heard the album and i have to agree with the 5 stars. 1 year ago, there was no grime and this is in my eyes the best grime album so far!!! every1 said he was the one to watch and his tunes and verses are all just as good as each other. the album is great and i feel that it is one of the best around in the whole of the urban scene. its real good like when people first heard get rich or die tryin, he is the best uk rapper by far!!!
on 27 June 2005
I've been looking forward to this album for ages after really getting into P's & Q's and Typical me. I was not disappointed when i bought this. This guy is so talented and if there is any justice, which i fear there isnt this album will sell copies after copies. It has something for everyone be is the funky beat of remember me or the grimey sound of P's & Q's. Nite Nite is the best song on the album (song produced by Mike Skinner of the Streets) Buy this now its simply fan-bloody tastic!
on 25 September 2005
Recently bought a 20GB iPod from amazon and I have about 100 albums on there already yet this is the only one I am listening to right now, I absoloutley love this album. I first heard P's&Q's ages and ages ago on channel U and really liked it but didn't hear much from Kano for a while, then he kind of blew up, especially now Nite Nite's being played on the stations and music channels. My favourite song has to be Reload It for the simple fact that if that was played in the clubs or at the raves everyone would go crazy, especially me. Though I do have my favourtie tracks there isn't a single song on this album that I don't like which is kind of a rarity, especially when the album has 16 tracks. Basically I would reccomend this album to everyone I know because I love it so much.