5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy
Published on 21 Jun 2010 by C. Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars garrett 150 ace.
The garrett 150 is a desent machine but only detects to about 6 inches. But she is sturdy enough and comfortable to hold, but have to go over ground slowly to achive beep.
Published 1 month ago by mario dalessio

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 21 Jun 2010
C. Baker "yeahchris" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector (Garden & Outdoors)
I bought this for my girlfriend for her 22nd birthday and she absolutely loves it! First few trys we didnt know what we were doing but got the hang of it now and we've found 3 unidentified coins that are too eroded to know what they are, and a few bits n bobs... but still exciting stuff! Its easy to understand, works perfectly and able to get an exact location of the find making digging to the minimal. Only let down for me was the search radius is about 6/7 inches but then i suppose you get what you pay for, i couldnt afford the garret ace 250 and that one searches deeper. But netherless 6/7 inches is more then enough to get you some awesome finds. I'd reccomend this to anyone! But if you want that little extra push and dont mind spending a bit more get the garret ace 250. But otherwise this piece of kit will deffinatly satisfy you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 25 Oct 2009
Amazon Customer (West Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector (Garden & Outdoors)
Bought this for my son, we've been on the beach, in fields and woods and we've always found things of interest...gold and silver nope but lots of coins and other bits and bats that we've gone home and searched the internet to see what they were. A good introduction to metal detecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars its ace its garret ace lol, 21 July 2011
This review is from: Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector (Garden & Outdoors)
Fast delivery and well packaged, comes with free garret bag and a spinks coin book which I didnt expect, only tried it briefly and found a rusty nail lol.An excellent metal detecting kit,highly reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Detector ! Not the best on wet sand though., 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector (Garden & Outdoors)
Please bear in mind the following review is from a pure beginner. I literally only have a few weeks exposure to metal detecting.
There may be people out there who have been detecting for years and may have other opinions on this model but this is my 'first time buyer' opinion.

Like many people, I've been thinking of buying a Metal Detector for some time and spent quite a while checking out numerous forums and YouTube videos trying to find the best beginners detector for around 150.

There are various cheaper detectors on the market for under 100 but the reviews I found didn't give me the confidence to buy them.
The majority of the reviews I found on the Garrett Ace 150 were very good so I bit the bullet and ordered it.
It was delivered within a couple of days and is extremely easy to put together. There are basically just a couple of parts you need to attach and then you're ready to go.

Whats in the box ?
1 - The metal detector - obviously ;0)
2 - Headphones - they are the large 'jack' type rather than the standard Headphone size but assume you could use any head phones with an adaptor.
3 - assembly instructions
4 - A couple of books showing how to metal detect for beginners and how to identify all the different coins out there.
5 - An instructional DVD
6 - Coil Cover

I layed various different coins and types of metals on the floor just to get a feel for the settings which are pretty self explanatory and obviously received strong signals and different tones for the various different types.
I live near to the coast so the first test was on sand. I quickly found quite a few pieces of fishing lead in the damp sand/shingles but not much else. When I tried to move more towards the sea and onto the wetter sand I was getting all sorts of blips and beeps pretty much everywhere. I dug several holes but didn't find anything. I started thinking there was something wrong with the detector but now, after doing a little more research, I've found that due to all the different minerals etc in sand, the majority of the 'cheaper' detectors do have problems with this environment.
I do need to point out however that being a typical man, I haven't really read the instructions fully so there may be a way around this but please do not let it prevent you from buying this detector. There is a disk that comes with the detector which I have yet to watch which may show you how to find things in wet sand ? Possibly with the right adjustment to the sensitivity settings you may have more luck ??
However, with little success on the wet beaches, I moved over the drier Sand Dunes and that's where the Garrett Ace 150 excelled. The dunes, without trying the state the obvious are a mixture of sand and soil and I quickly found loads and loads of items. These particular dunes where used as a WWII firing range and I've found over 30 x 303 bullets and shell casings, lots of shrapnel from mortars, various buttons from army uniforms and the best thing so far is the remains of an actual WW1 mortar with the cartridge still in there. So despite my previous comments, the 150 does work very well in some types of sand. Just didn't work on the wet beaches for me.
I was getting accurate depth readings from the Ace 150 which helps estimate how deep to dig.
I did consider buying the more expensive Garrett Ace 250 which was around 50 more but to be honest, the only difference I could see are a few additional metal types settings and a pin pointer.
Now, I have since bought the Garrett Pro Pointer Pinpoint Probe which was quite expensive (90) in relation to the detector cost but it has saved me lots of time in digging bigger holes than neccessary. So in light of this maybe the built in pin pointer on the Ace 250 would have been a better option ??.....I don't know...?
Anyway, to summarise, I can't fault this detector. If you're thinking of starting this hobby as a pure novice like me, then this is the detector to buy. Simple to put together, easy to set up and the most important thing.......it does actually work and you will find different types of metal !

4.0 out of 5 stars Garrett Ace150, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector (Garden & Outdoors)
The 150 detects to exactly the same depth as the 250. The only reason why the 250 costs more is due to it having more bells and whistles, such as; a battery level indicator, pinpoint mode, relic mode and discrimination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good detector!... but no gold yet., 2 April 2012
This review is from: Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector (Garden & Outdoors)
I've had the 250 for about 6 months now and I've gotten used to all it's quirks and noises.

Let's start with the goods.

I've found a bunch of old coins, my oldest is from 1929 A George V silver shilling in stunning condition. A whole load of modern pennies, a few pound coins, some dog tags, lumps of iron, a wheel, a fishing weight and something that looks like a medal, but it is far too rusted to tell, then of course there's the 100's of pull tags, beer cans and bottle tops...

I've hunted on grass fields, marshes, woodland litter layers and beaches. By far my favourite place to hunt has to be on the beaches, as I live down the road from about 5 different ones. However, the relative ease of digging sand goes hand in hand with the amount of trash that people throw on the beautiful sands. For every 10 items of trash, you might probably pick up a decent coin (by decent, I mean condition, not net worth).

The Garrett, if used properly, has a brilliant pin-pointing device, and is highly accurate for the price, not to mention it is light, durable, and the batteries last for months on end (I use mine for maybe 5-10 hours a week)

Now for the bad bits...

It does not like water. At all. Period.

Anything from moist sand to water logged muddy fields after a down pour, will cause the 250 to go a bit..."nutty". The sensitivity can be lowered to accomodate this, but then you'll miss the deeper finds. My advice is to stay on the dry sands... or if you really want to go sea-hunting, get a bigger budget.

Alloyed metal, or multiple targets.

If you want to find a gold piece of jewellry (best of luck to you), there occurs a peculiar problem. You see, Gold is normally alloyed to strengthen it; this is almost always the case with rings, bracelets and necklaces (unless you find a piece over 300 years old, in which case it will be softer metal and more prone to damage by digging!), the issue with alloyed metal, is that it can make your search coil misinterpret signals and send it "nutty" just like with water logged areas. Gold is favourably alloyed with nickel, which will make it flash up as "ring pull" on the screen... and unless you're up for digging all the trash, you may never actually find gold. So you have to have patience and go that extra mile by modifying the settings; i.e blank out the iron and silver tabs, so you can pin point bronze, gold and tin.

The same applies for multiple targets in one square meter, it will make your signal go haywire and "bleep" all over the place. I generally lower the sensitivity in this case, or move on to my next target.

In conclusion, the Garrett is brilliant for the price, and a great starter to the hobby. Just be prepared to put in the hours if you want to find "treasure", but if it's for fun and excersize then go for it. Of course, if you can afford to spend 1000+, then there are much better products out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garrett Ace150, 10 Feb 2011
N. Stephens (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector (Garden & Outdoors)
After umming and erring for a few weeks I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a metal detector, I did a bit of homework(network!!)and came to the the conclusion that Garrett were one of the best, affordable, metal detectors.
I also noticed that they fetch a good price when they come up on ebay, which is good if you decide to 'bail out' of the hobby.
I asked for special delivery as my wife financed it and wanted me to have it for Christmas(even though the ground was frozen solid anyway !!)It arrived in time, well packed, and with a couple of extra books thrown in, which was marvellous. It was easily assembled, complete with batteries and an informative DVD-guide.
As soon as the weather permitted I tried it out and started getting results in the garden immediately, alas only tinfoil, nails and screws so far !!! You do need to spend some time on the learning curve with it though as the readings on the display are only a guide.
My only qualm would be that it is difficult to pinpoint yopur target so you end up digging a bigger area than you would expect, but on the whole I'm pleased with it, I'm sure it will see more use when the weather improves.
Top marks to the suppliers for the extras and delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son says its the best present he has ever recieved,, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector (Garden & Outdoors)
The item arrived the next day.
Everything was included for him go treasure hunting straight away.
Excellent item and 2 year warranty is reassuring.
I would definitely recommend this detector and the seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little detector and great service, 24 Dec 2012
G. M. Kirk "Gill" (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector (Garden & Outdoors)
Ordered 2 days before xmass for my son and arrived on xmas eve, wasnt expecting any extras but it came with 2 coin books very informative and they threw in some garrett headphones for free to (although dont expect to get the free headphones everyone as im sure they were thrown in for xmas spirit ) :)

Many thanks to detector supplies and merry xmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars One happy husband, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector (Garden & Outdoors)
bought this for my husband's birthday as he wants to take up the passtime - he seems very happy with it and is metal detecting around the house - he rates it as an excellent choice

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›