5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining comedy with heart-a must for Jackman fans
Published on 15 Sep 2002 by Ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much more
Hugh Jackman in one of his earliest film roles! Well, being an exceptionally big Jackman fan I had to get this and I really had high hopes for it based on the synopsis, so I feel extremely guilty by saying I didn't love it.

Published on 19 Aug 2008 by James Walls

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining comedy with heart-a must for Jackman fans, 15 Sep 2002
Ashley (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I admit that I bought this movie because I am a huge Hugh Jackman fan; it appealed to me because I've always enjoyed romantic comedies more than action films (which is primarily what you will see him in in the States). I am happy to say that this film surpassed my expectations, which were already pretty high to begin with. Jackman was amazing as always; this film completely corroborated my belief that he is an unbelievably talented and versatile actor. I also enjoyed hearing him talk with his native accent. The rest of the cast was also great, and the story was entertaining and believable. I would recommend this film to any rom-com viewer and all Jackman fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Film hero in the making!, 20 Sep 2006
This review is from: Paperback Hero [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of Hugh Jackman's first movies ( the other one is the highly dramatic ERSKINEVILLE KINGS) and it already shows the promise of one who will eventually capture worldwide movie audiences' imagination in a variety of roles. This is a romantic comedy and proves to be a charming and highly entertaining piece. There is excellent chemistry between Hugh and Claudia Karvan in a story which happens in the Australian outback and partly in modern Sydney. I have watched it a number of times and I find myself chuckling and enjoying it everytime.

You will love Jack and Ruby!

5.0 out of 5 stars About two best friends realizing they are the perfect match., 11 Oct 2000
I absolutely loved all about this movie, especially the chemistry between the main characters, lovely portrayed by Hugh Jackman and Claudia Karvan. I loved the music, the locations...It simply is a must have. Bye it and you wont regret it. And to other Hugh Jackman fans around the world: a big hug and I hope to see you some time...

5.0 out of 5 stars Paperback Hero, 1 Feb 2009
Ms. R. Ramos "Rowena" (Middx, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paperback Hero [DVD] (DVD)
Great romantic story of a very macho guy (Hugh Jackman) who writes a romantic novel. When it's chosen to be published, he doesn't want his identity to be revealed and asks his female best friend to pretend to be the writer. Great story telling and some funny moments. Too bad the film seems too short because you can so easily loose yourself in this.

4.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing actor, and a lovely romantic film, 3 Oct 2000
By A Customer
I bought this video because hugh jackman was in it, because I saw him in x-men and thought this guys pretty cool and I could not really imagine him to be in a romantic comedy, so out of curiousity and after reading the reviews I bought the film and I was very pleased. The character he plays, he plays well. Ruby and jack are meant to be together and its true the ending is predictable but I could not contain my excitement as the end drew near. And to see him in this, then in x-men....well lets just say, what a incredibly talented actor. Great film, great actor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much more, 19 Aug 2008
James Walls (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Paperback Hero [DVD] (DVD)

Hugh is great, he's gruff and funny, sexy and vulnerable, but the story itself lets it down. This could have been an extremely funny comedy, and it certainly had the potential, but it tried to take itself a little bit too seriously which sadly let the film down.

It isn't bad, and Hugh fans like myself will certainly buy it to add to the collection, but I fear you may not be as impressed as you would like to be

3.0 out of 5 stars A must for Hugh Jackman fans, 13 Sep 2000
By A Customer
I bought this video because Hugh Jackman was in it and I have to say he did'nt dissappoint me at all. If you've seen this summer blockbuster film X-Men you will realise what a brillant actor Jackman is. The characters he plays in the two movies are so different its almost as if it was two different actors.
Paperback Hero is a light romantic comedy with a predictable ending, but who cares, it was the ending we wanted. Our hero and heroine had real chemistry, first as feuding friends and then, something deeper as the film develops, check out the kareokee duet followed by the kiss!
I've only given this 3 stars because I have read the book and it is so much funnier than the film. I felt like there was a lot of editing going on. There were opportunities missed which is suprising because the director was the author.
However for a girls night in you won't do better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, believable characters, 13 Feb 2004
Fans of Austrailian Movies or of Hugh Jackman will not be disappointed by this one. A rare chance to see him act in his native dialect is not to be missed. The story is great, with a greater intelligence than many romantic comedies. The contrast of Jack with Hamish is great since Hamish is not the typical stupid or nasty ex-boyfriend and Jack is not the typical player, but more the boy next door. Spectacular scenery and a great soundtrack. I would definitely reccommend this to anybody, male or female, since my teenage brother loves it. I don't know anybody who's seen it and disliked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 22 Nov 2011
sliverfox (hampshire, uk.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paperback Hero [DVD] (DVD)
this is one of those corny romantic movies thay has the feel good factor. it is full of fun with the aussie attitude being at the forefront of the period; with what depicts a man and what doesn't. good fun that you'll be able to watch time and time again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for Hugh Jackman fans, 4 Oct 2000
By A Customer
Like everybody else so far, Hugh Jackman was the only reason I bought this film, and I curious to see what he could do in a romantic comedy. Hugh did not disappoint - not only is he gorgeous, but he can REALLY act. I forgot I was watching the same guy who, the week before, had transfixed me as Wolverine in X-men. The rest of the cast in Paperback Hero do an equally good job and as a whole this film is sweet, funny and sad by turns. It's nice to see a film that isn't slick with Hollywood gloss - it's a little naive and rough around the edges, which makes it all the more believeable. Watch it - you won't be sorry, I promise.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Paperback Hero [DVD]
Paperback Hero [DVD] by Anthony Bowman (DVD - 2005)
5.00