5.0 out of 5 stars My mother`s pasta factory
Published 20 months ago by Gus

Buyer beware! I received a different item to that advertised.

The product is listed as the 'Marcato Atlas Light Alloy 150 Silver'. What I received was the "Atlas Classic Chrome" version.

Published 7 months ago by S. Hills

5.0 out of 5 stars My mother`s pasta factory, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Marcato Atlas Light Alloy 150 Pasta Maker Machine, Silver (Kitchen & Home)
I researched this product after my mother used to make ravioli for us on her Atlas 150 when we were kids (20+ years ago). Her Marcato is still going strong and I just had to buy my own. I sourced mine through amazon.it (home of pasta - where else) a year ago, but glad to see that the UK site has caught up with this quality product. It certainly puts the kitchen craft alternative to shame, this is on a completely different level.

- Sturdy construction
- Easy to clean (maybe not the ravioli attachment)
- Rock solid, no flimsiness or cheapness
- Durability - the one in the family is about 30 years old, all attachments are working as new
... even better the same 30 year old attachments fit a new Atlas 150, no need to worry about buying an end of life product.

also as a plus: if you look at the vast range of accessories and compare it with the alternative products, you will see how the Atlas 150 excels.

My recommendations for the budding pasta maker:
- buy a pasta cutter, check out the multi cutter as well on the italian site, its called the "pastabike"
- get a pasta drying rack. again, check the italian amazon site, where it is about half price and free p&p
- check the international sites for attachments - you will find a lot more than you might do here and possibly at a better price on amazon.it
- don`t bother too much with the ravioli attachment - Personally I think you are better off with a ravioli sheet and a rolling pin. The ravioli attachment is somewhat bulky and by far the most expensive accessory you can get.
- avoid the raviolini attachment: has all the negatives of the ravioli attachment + the pasta to filling ratio will be horrible. Your raviolinis are likely to be small and flat due to their size.
- the 150 in the name is the width. Don`t be tempted by the atlas 180. It is marginally wider but more expensive, plus it doesn`t have as many accessories as the 150 (and even those are disproportionately pricey). Your pasta is going to be cut up anyway, so what`s the point?:)

Hope this helps anyone,
keep it rollin`

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Made, 6 Dec 2011
I read just about all of the reviews for every pasta machine available through Amazon and decided to go for this one-partly because of the claims of 'uncontaminated dough thanks to the light alloys used in the rollers'. Obviously, I have no idea if this can be substantiated or not but it certainly was an important benefit in my mind. Have used it once so far and it did exactly what I expected it to and it felt very sturdy. I watched a number of videos on its use thanks to YouTube so my first attempt at making pasta was quite successful. It is not too daunting a task if you do what I did and look at the various tips and different techniques on the many videos out there.

I would have given this item 5 stars were it not for the fact that the metal logo plate (which they make mention of in the product description as being top quality) came off during the first use. It's no big deal but I'd suggest a stronger adhesive...

The build quality suggests that the only items I will be buying from Marcoto in the future will be some of the additional cutters the manufacture-I doubt I'll ever need to replace the pasta machine itself because it is very well made.

Now, does anybody have the definitive pasta dough recipe?

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 21 Nov 2012
I bought this after reading lots of reviews of pasta makers. I decided to go for this one because the reviews were excellent and it did not disappoint. The machine is very sturdy, not too light so you don't worry about it moving about when you are making the pasta. It looks as though it will last for a long time.
Make sure when you buy this you read the care instructions. I didn't at first and washed it with soap and water, it looks like it hasn't suffered but I won't make that mistake again. Besides all it really needs is a brush down to get the remaining flour off and it's good to be put away.
I've only used a simple recipe of 300g '00' flour, 3 large eggs (room temp), 1 tbsp of olive oil and some freshly ground pepper and salt. Blitzed in a food processor until breadcrumby and brought together by hand, kneaded for 5 minutes then put in the fridge for half hour ready to be rolled out. Fab results when I made butternut squash ravioli.
Have already purchased another machine for my sister and her husband as a Christmas present I'm that pleased with it! Next on my list is some more attachments for pasta sizes. Can't wait!!

5.0 out of 5 stars We have used and used and used this......, 20 April 2013
We had never made pasta before getting this. We used the recipe included in the instructions and have found this machine perfect. Nothing has broken and it does the job. Love make tagliatelle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware! I received a different item to that advertised., 20 May 2014
S. Hills - See all my reviews
Buyer beware! I received a different item to that advertised.

The Light Alloy version is 100% anodised aluminium. This Classic Chrome version is only 10% anodised aluminium… the rollers. It is a significantly cheaper model that the promised Atlas Light Alloy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pasta made easy, 12 Feb 2013
We bought this pasta machine online direct from Italy, arrived very well packed and had excellent instructions. Much better value than buying from John Lewis or other Uk seller. Our first attempt at making pasta was a great success and weve been making it easily ever since. The key to good pasta is the right moisture content and a firm but gentle turning of the rollers, not too fast but dont slow down or hesitate, just keep it going smoothly. Four hands are better than two when the pasta is rolled out and becomes long and more difficult to handle. We dry ours on a drying rack first before cooking and always use good quality Italian durum flour. It keeps in the fridge for days.

5.0 out of 5 stars really easy to use and very effective, 29 April 2013
Julie Tilstone (Blurton, Stoke on Trent, Staffs, GB) - See all my reviews
I have used my pasta maker for the first time and I am very impressed with it. It rolls the pasta very thinly and is very easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy pasta, 1 Mar 2013
I had been considering buying a pasta machine for some time, and this product has not disappointed! I have to admit I am still learning how to use it to get the best results possible, guess it takes a little time to get your dough just right, and using the machine to get the dough thinned and cut just right. But the results I've had so far have been ok, and certainly made delicious meals. A little time consuming, and I had to admit I probably do need to buy a pasta drying stand too, but the taste is so good it's worth the effort!
This machine comes with two different types of cutters, although it doesn't make that perfectly clear in the description. I had wondered if I would need to buy an attachment to be able to actually make any pasta, but I needn't have worried because as I say there are two different cutters that come with it. Product seems high quailty, nice weight to it, and it arrived super quick as well, which was a nice surprise. If you are looking to get a pasta machine I'd highly recommend this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent easy to use, high quality product at a very good price., 13 Dec 2013
Excellent easy to use, high quality product at a very good price. Good range of accessories available.I would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marcato Atlas pasta machine, 15 Jun 2012
Have used this machine successfully several times now with good success, much easier than hand rolling. Fortunately we have a work top with no cupboard under, perfect for the clamp which holds securely. Didn't need any help last time with more practice. This piece of equipment I won't leave in the cupboard but in retirement I have more time & love home made food.