TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 March 2012
Elina Garanca is IMHO the World's leading mezzo-soprano. This album was recorded in 2005 and her voice is absolutely beautiful, just perfect for this Mozart repertoire. I am assuming that everyone buying this will like Mozart. The highlight for me is track 10 - 'Così fan tutte K588: Act I: Temerari! ... Come scoglio'

At Amazon's current price of £3.99 this is an absolute bargain.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 25 July 2012
I bought this CD based on having seen and heard Garanca's excellent Carmen at the Met (albeit the London screen version). Perhaps it's that her French is better than her Italian, but I hadn't noticed a diction problem before -- however, with these Mozart arias it is very marked. Her voice cannot be faulted. Unfortunately, a comparison with Cecilia Bartoli kept coming to mind as I listened, and though I know it was unfair -- probably on every level -- I couldn't banish it.

That may be the reason that this CD is the bargain price it is. For there is no getting away from it, either Garanca's diction or her Italian -- maybe even both -- is pretty poor. Still, that didn't keep Joan Sutherland back and she was nowhere near the actress, or the beauty, that Garanca is.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again