Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 May 2009
I enjoyed this collection immensely. The variety of truly orchestral colours is astonishing. One thing to be aware of is that the tracks are all, or virtually all, arrangements of hymns - no marches, dances, movie themes etc. But what is here is excellent.
on 13 May 2009
Having loved Brass Bands since I was a child and playing in them as well...
I have seen and listened to a lot of "top" Brass Bands in my time but there IS no finer than the Grimethorpe Colliery Band.This Album consists of Hymn Tunes only...but done in a way that only a fine Brass Band can do which results in a "spine-tingling" listening experience.
For value and quality i rate it highly..if you love the "spiritual" side to Brass then this is one to buy..
on 15 August 2010
Brass Band Classics by Grimethorpe Colliery Brass band. I'm brass band fan so the band lived up to my expectations. Perfect execution and musicianship! Sadly, I'm not at all keen on hymns and these are all hymns ! So, that was a disappointment. The ad for the disc should have given some indication of this I feel.
on 3 August 2013
The CD arrived promptly and in perfect condition. It is a beautiful, relaxing collection of music to listen to. We bought it because my mother requested brass band music and the song "All in the April Evening" to be played at her funeral. We were able to combine the two with this CD. We played the track at the start of her funeral and it was a beautiful way to set the scene for a such a poignant occasion.
This is a deeply spiritual experience. There is depth and warmth in the tone of the music. I love these hymns at a very deep level of my being and played by the Grimethorpe Colliery Band just adds to the experience. Some of my favourite bits are the added decorations wrapped around the main tunes. Although there are no singers on the CD I find myself singing with the brass. 'Abide with Me' can sometimes be a funeral- type solemn experience but here it just glitters and is splendid and full of joy in believing. Every section has opportunities and some of the most lovely moments are allotted to the players of the lower parts. And there is such variety from one verse to another that each succeeds the other in expectations.Sometimes citizenship courses ask, "What does it mean to be English?" To me the answer is here.
on 12 May 2009
went to see them live in Wales and the sounds of the CD was the same as the show infact with closed eyes it took me back to the show.
on 7 January 2013
One of the Best Brass Bands in the land. Been to many of their concerts and this CD just brings back happy memories of their concerts. Full bodied sounds and excellent playing. Some classic tunes which will be loved by all discerning brass band followers. Well done.
on 18 February 2010
I bought this as a gift. Apparently it is an excellent CD. Sound quality is good and the selection works well for car trips when elderly fathers are traveling alone...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2012
the band was as expected good but the itenary was not
exactly what I required mostly hymns or a religious
theme wheras I wanted marches and similar
on 7 April 2013
I bought this as a present for a friend as she loves a brass band and also loves hymns so it made a lovely combination of the two. She was very pleased.