1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Harmonies and Passion, 6 Mar 2012
This review is from: Sanctify My Soul: 25 Gospel Greats (Audio CD)
This group, still together today with some of the singers featured on this CD, is one of the greatest vocal groups that ever recorded Gospel music. The are much rougher than modern gospel recording, both in sound quality and the way they sing. This rawness is what I love. They are unafraid of committing huge amounts of energy to these records. Although the sounds have little variation, each is carefully crafted, and brilliantly delivered.

This CD does not claim to be a best of, which at any rate would be difficult considering the group is still releasing worthy recordings. It mostly comprises recordings from 1951-63. There are several of their most famous records here, but I would give the CD four stars only for missing out some of the earlier gems, especially 'Living for my Jesus'.

In the collection, standout sides for me are 'I can see everybody's mother', 'Just a closer walk with thee', and 'Precious Lord'.

I am not religious, but this kind of music has a far wider appeal than simply to Christians. I would recommend this CD, and also the Blind Boys generally.

Sanctify My Soul: 25 Gospel Greats
Sanctify My Soul: 25 Gospel Greats by Five Blind Boys Of Alabama (Audio CD - 2005)