5.0 out of 5 stars Great return of a living legend!
“As Is Now” is something like a statement of how the things are going to be done by Paul Weller. The future seems to be good, The Modfather and his band (White, Minchella and Cradock) returns with this album. It has the classic Weller style, but it sounds fresh. Again, Jan “Stan” Kybert is the producer, so from that point of view this album is very...
Published on 14 Nov 2005 by blackcuervo

3.0 out of 5 stars For what we are about to receive...
In 2005, a single called "From The Floorboards Up" came out and pairs of loafers danced. A roar of pride. In at number 7. The man had done it and reminded people what he could do. It sounded like Johnny Kidd & The Pirates. It sounded urgent. In the autumn came "Come On/Lets Go" and 2005 sounded good and alive.

"As Is Now" is not a consistent peak across...
Published on 26 April 2007 by Merry Terry

5.0 out of 5 stars Here`s the good news, 18 July 2014
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: As Is Now (Audio CD)
Since his days with the Jam and Style Council, our Paul has developed a pleasingly husky voice somewhere between the gargly growl of Joe Cocker and the smoother soulfulness of, say, Paul Carrack - not a bad place to be.
He sings like both a saint and a demon on this career-best album from 2005.
Best? Well, I think so. I love Wild Wood, Heavy Soul, and 22 Dreams, and Stanley Road was a winner, but for me this is where it all comes together.
The songs themselves are an eclectic lot, with not a dud among them. It`s more like Wild Wood in its lyricism and overall feeling of good-humour. No point in picking highlights, as this is a set of songs I love almost as much as I love Rubber Soul or East Side Story.
I was never a big Jam fan (too long in the tooth by then - all of thirty-ish) but Weller`s solo stuff I do like a lot, and the more I hear wondrous records like As Is Now, the more I realise what a huge talent the man has.
I loved this the first time I heard it. It`s a terrific album full of truly superb songs - fourteen of them - and I will be playing it often. The guy sounds full of the joys of life, and full of unexpected, unpredictable musical ideas too.
Great stuff.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars back to his best?hes never been away, 25 Oct 2005
M. D. Eberlein "verndakin2" (LONDON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As Is Now [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
AWESOME the best album hes ever done better than the jam better than the style council & better than wildwood,ive been there since 1977 following him & he still just amazes me...stand out tracks for me floorboards,come on lets go & blink ahnd youll miss it....roll on november & december when the great man tours again

4.0 out of 5 stars Big return to form !!, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: As Is Now (Audio CD)
This is a great, great album overall and his best for a long time. An eclectic mixture of some of my favourite Paul Weller styles from down the years, it has the feel of the first solo album or some of the high points that were reached on "Heliocentric"

Songs such as "From The Floorboards Up" and "Come On/Let's Go" see a return to punchy, Jam-like sharpness and the bluesy, rhythmic "Blink And You'll Miss It" is a like a beefed-up version of "Round and Round"

But then there are moments such as "All On A Misty Morning", fusing folk, jazz and soul with earthy, sensuous lyrics (much more successfully than anything on "Wild Wood" to my mind) and "Roll Along Summer", a beautiful, mid-tempo song with light, circular acoustic guitar, shuffling percussion and tinges of free jazz. "Bring Back The Funk" is his `grooviest' song for a very, very long time. Heavily reminiscent of classic TSC or even the less well-known "Here's a New Thing" (which can be found on the Japanese import of solo album #1). It even contains a short foray into House music, not heard since that last fateful TSC album!

A fine album, heavily sign-posting the journey for the next two

4.0 out of 5 stars A Man of Great Promise, 14 Oct 2005
David (Prestwick, Ayrshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As Is Now [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Highlights and Hang Ups
1. Blink And You'll Miss It
Absolutely brilliant start. Bursting with energy, a bit like a speeded-up version of that dirge by Ozzy Ozborne and his wee girl in places, but so much better. Third single, although after Floorboards and Come On that would be fooling the public slightly as it would misrepresent the album as a whole.
2. Paper Smile
Birds don't like being called "baby".
3. Come On / Let's Go
Reminds me in parts of Teenage Kicks (not sure why). I love it, Paul has written few better songs in his solo career. When this came out as a single, I scanned my set radio stations (Radio 1&2, Clyde1, West FM, Beat106) every day for three weeks on the way to and from work in my car to hear it (sad I know). That's about an hour and a half a day. Not once did I hear this song, and it was the same when Floorboards was released. Is this some kind of embargo? Are MI5 involved? Is it because Weller don't smile on telly?
7. All On A Misty Morning
You are always too old to sing "I come to you" over and over again. It's sounds immoral.
8. From The Floorboards Up
Outstanding! I know Paul keeps boasting that it's only 2min27sec or whatever, but I could take a 12" version of this because I always play it three times whenever I listen to the CD. To be honest, there are a few of the slower songs on the album which drift on towards the four or five minute mark without really doing much for me (the piano ones about God and the pebble, boy, man in particular) whereas the absolute knockout songs check out too fast.
9. I Wanna Make It Alright
Cool, catchy, soulful, touching. I want to hold this song in my arms all night long.
10. Savages
Very nice tune, good lyric. Reminds me of another song he did but can't remember which one.
11. Fly Little Bird
Sounded dodgy at first but now I really like it. He means it, man! From the heart.
13. Bring Back The Funk (Pt 1 & 2)
Very, very dodgy and very, very long but I still really dig it - don't know why. Weller must have known he would have got pelters for this but so what. Critics dredged up comparisons with Style Council (Our Favourite Shop is still Weller's best studio album so far, by the way) and eight minutes is stretching it a bit, but so what.
This is a very good album, but not quite the all time classic I thought it would be after reading the (overall) very positive reviews before it came out. I thought Illumination was excellent, but only got a mild reception. This is on a par with that album. I already skip four songs when playing the CD, but it also contains a few classics. He obviously enjoyed making it, as is borne out by the DVD.
Paul Weller has made a lasting impact on my life over the years and it frustrates me at times that, despite the odd award here and there, he still does not get the recognition he deserves. He is pushing 50 and has now compiled a body of work which for me is unsurpassed. This is a welcome addition.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Modfather still ROCKS!!!, 18 Feb 2006
This review is from: As Is Now (Audio CD)
This is by far one of the best from the Modfather himself. I love it, and Blink and you'll miss it is my fav track. Just shows Paul's fire is still burnin. The best since Stanley Road.
Conrgats too on Paul's BRIT for Outstanding Contribution to music. Paul's music has been very meaningful to me especially through my teenage years as a "Modette".

5.0 out of 5 stars OUR BEST HOME-GROWN STAR, 24 April 2012
This review is from: As Is Now (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums I've ever heard ever! The man is a true legend - the variety of music and amazing lyrics have to be heard to be believed. I thought Stanley Road was mind-blowing when I first heard it and I still love it, but AS IS NOW is even better. This man invented Brit Pop and made it better, and better and better. You've probably guessed by now that I'm a major fan but believe me, this man deserves all the praise he gets. Buy it, treasure it, love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars As Is Now - Paul Weller, 15 Dec 2010
S. NAKONECZNYJ (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As Is Now (Audio CD)
Another great album from Mr Weller, he is totally devoid of repetition, each album is different from its predecessor, that's why he is such an excellent musician, he doesn't stand still, just keeps moving on. Highly recommended :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Let It Grow!, 11 May 2010
C. J. Cunningham "Beatle Nut Bowie Nut" (Milton Keynes, Bucks UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As Is Now (Audio CD)
Approaching 50 at the time this (his seventh solo effort) album was released, and with a prolific and hugely influential 30 recording career behind him, Paul Weller should not be blamed for seemingly just enjoying / indulging himself and celebrating his many influences through his songwriting. If anything, `As Is Now' could be viewed as something of a summary of Weller's entire career - the energy and bite of The Jam is evident in `From The Floorboards Up' and `Come On / Let's Go' the jazz / funky leanings of The Style Council are here in `Roll Along Summer' and `Bring Back The Funk' respectively, whilst the opening tracks; `Blink And You'll Miss It' and `Paper Smile' are fairly typical of the Small Faces / Traffic / Neil Young influenced blend of Brit-rock that Weller has purveyed throughout his solo career. There are other gems on offer too; `The Start Of Forever' a gentle but yearning ballad with subtle brass that echoes Love's `Forever Changes' and the influence of Nick Drake is heard in `All On A Misty Morning' In the middle of the proceedings is `Pan' - a peculiar but compelling string led piece all sunny glades and `Gods of the morning light' and even the relatively bland `Here's The Good News' is enjoyable in context with the rest of the album. After the seven plus minute workout of `Bring Back The Funk' (brilliantly subtitled `Parts 1 and 2' - echoing those great seven inch singles of the early 1970s where a lengthy track was split across two sides of vinyl) comes a stirring but downbeat ending `The Pebble And The Boy' finding Weller once more deep, meaningful and philosophical. There may well be nothing particularly ground breaking or innovative on offer here, yet, played all the way through and given a few listens, `As Is Now' reveals more depth and diversity than you might initially think. This album is most likely not going to change rock history too drastically, but it has given me an enormous amount of listening pleasure over some very difficult times in my life recently. Listen to the whole thing without skipping and enjoy as a whole album, there is plenty here to enjoy and you will find that with a little patience, `As Is Now' will grow and grow.

4.0 out of 5 stars As he ever shall be, 18 Dec 2006
Mr. Peter Barrett (Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As Is Now (Audio CD)
Yes, this is a strong album alright, but not perfect. There are one or two songs which are a little strained and 'Here's The Good News' is the kind of hony-tonk tune (replete with trombone) which Leo Sayer or Elton John might have performed on a Saturday night variety show in the '70s, although Paul pulls it off rather better than either of those two would have.

But there's some really good material too. Strongest is the single, 'From The Floorboards Up', which is typical, driving Weller. If it were more consistent, it would be a five-star album, and the whole thing might grow on me yet. Mind you, I'm definitely getting off the Weller bandwagon if he moves from honky tonk to barbershop...

3.0 out of 5 stars For what we are about to receive..., 26 April 2007
This review is from: As Is Now (Audio CD)

"As Is Now" is not a consistent peak across its fourteen tracks. The aforementioned singles are the cream of the album. That is not, however, to say that the rest of the album is poor.

Kicking off with some stodge in "Blink And You'll Miss It" and the lumpen "Paper Smile" you could be forgiven for wandering off. However track 3 comes good with "Come On..."

"Here's The Good News" is charming enough. "Savages" is a belter. "Roll Along Summer" could be "Cafe Bleu" and I mean that in a good way. "The Pebble And The Boy" is a classy piano-led closer that works very well. "The Start Of Forever" doesn't seem to lift much which is a shame as it's not without charm. "Bring Back The Funk Y'All" - yes now the band can play. But they're not The JB's. Nor are they Cymande. But at least they're playing about like this and not stuck in the stodge-rock vein. "All On A Misty Morning" is ok but an image of Weller's loins is one I can live without.

"Pan" on the other hand is quite simply bizarre and sounds like it comes out of failed musical written by Mike Read. Quasi-mysticism and an overwrought tune. No thanks.

Aside from the two lead-off singles there are no tracks here that stand-up with the man's best.

Not a bad album but not the testament of quality that Paul Weller's still capable of.

3/5 for the album. 5/5 for each of the 2 lead off singles.

As Is Now
As Is Now by Paul Weller (Audio CD - 2005)