4.0 out of 5 stars Well executed
Published on 7 Aug 2006 by Martian Buddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Wow, that turned soar
When I first read some of the reviews with lower scores I sniggered at them. I played the demo of this game and immediatly fell in love with it.
Published on 22 Sep 2005 by Terramax

3.0 out of 5 stars Wow, that turned soar, 22 Sep 2005
This review is from: Still Life (PC) (Video Game)
When I bought the game for a while I wasn't disappointed at first either. When I was brought back to 1929 prague, despite fearing the game would get worse, it got better - more atmosphere, interesting characters and puzzles.
However, it's the puzzle elements in this game that really let the experience down for me. For starters there aren't anywhere near as many. I spent most of the time simply talking to one person, talking to another in a second location then returning to the first location to talk to another person again. And when there were puzzles they were not only sometimes obscure but I had the feeling that they were there for the sake of making the game longer (making cookies for you grandmother!). There were also some puzzles that I spent ages on trying to figure out but then found the answer by accident which was not satisfying - I like to feel good and clever about myself when I finish a puzzle. Not say 'oh!?'.
Another thing which really bugged me was that there were no choices in the things that you said to characters in conversations. In games such as 'Grim Fandango' to 'A Moment Of Silence', you are able to choose many paths in where conversations go, sometimes enabling you to understand more about characters. However in this there are no multipaths, and whilst many characters are interesting you get the idea throughout that you're only hearing and learning what the programmers want you too.
However, if you're not as stingy as I am with faults with puzzles like I am then you will find this game very entertaining. I, overall, did. But I'm sure the game could have been far smoother.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 25 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Still Life (PC) (Video Game)
This game is a bit of a missed opportunity. The game is good enough, however at the start the heroine seems to be performing a range of meaningless tasks and puzzles ranging from getting the boss coffee to baking cookies. What is all that about? It has the usual elements found in this type of game but nothing really original. It also has one of the hand eye coordination puzzles that game makers seem to like putting in this type of game, perhaps to stretch it out. Good enough story though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well executed, 7 Aug 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Still Life (PC) (Video Game)
Puzzles (or small games within the game) are normal ingredients in adventures - and Still Life is no exception. Most of these puzzles can be solved with a little effort, but you'll have to possess codebreaking abilities (or just plain and simple luck) to crack them all. A few of these puzzles are frustrating and time-consuming, and are clearly supposed to make the game last longer - and they do (if you don't cheat). I like intelligent puzzles where you have to figure something out, but I am really not going to spent hour after hour trying to pick a lock!
Besides from that this is a great game. The graphics, the sound, the storyline, the interface and so on... everything is well executed. Overall a nice and entertaining game. A must try if you enjoy this genre.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT VISTA COMPATIBLE !, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Still Life (PC) (Video Game)
Well not without ALOT of effort anyway.

Im a pretty big fan of adventure games and have been curious about this one for a while. So I finally decided to get it. I bought it used and it arrived pretty quickly and was in very good condition. After installing the game and attempting to play it I received an error message, though this was easily resolved by downloading a patch and the error message no longer appeared. Problem solved or so I thought, but of corse on attempting to run the game again I was greeted with a empty black screen. I looked on some forums and found a lot of people who had similar problems when trying to run this game on Vista and there was allot of helpful advice. Unfortunately even after following all the advice and spending most of the day trying everything I could think of I still couldn't get this game too work.

Essentially if you have Vista, unless you are a massive fan of this game I really don't think its gonna be worth your time trying to get this game to work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could not play it on my computer, it would not load, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: Still Life (PC) (Video Game)
Too bad, bought the game but could not load it. I bought this game for my sister in the UK and I also bought it for myself here in the USA. Neither one of us could play it, I have Windows 7 and she has XP.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great game...too bad you will never know who..., 10 Nov 2006
Lisa H. (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Still Life (PC) (Video Game)
While this game was great to play and had interesting puzzles and plot, the game ends without telling you whodunnit--so that it could be continued in a sequel.

That would be fine, except for the fact that after release, the company was swallowed by another software company and we can't ever expect a sequel to be released...so we will never actually know who the killer is! No fair at all! The biggest letdown of ANY adventure game EVER!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted opportunity, 8 July 2005
This review is from: Still Life (PC) (Video Game)
Yet another wasted opportunity to get point and click back on the map. The game was fine for a while, until I ran into an action sequence that I couldn't beat. So the game ended there for me. When will idiot game designers realise that adventure game players don't want:
Timed sequences
Mazes
Action elements
A shame, because I was enjoying it up until that point, but due to the linearity, if you can't complete a certain section, the game is effectively over...

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time / Minor spoilers, 15 Mar 2007
This review is from: Still Life (PC) (Video Game)
The adventure company just can't put out a great adventure game! The best bet is that you'll get a mediocre game, something like Syberia for example. Still life is not an exception.

The 2d graphics are really beautiful, while the 3d ones not that great.Overall for graphics 3.5 out of 5.

The music just isn't there most of the time, and when it is, I don't like it. It's just some electronic stuff playing that's supposed to be moody, but it's not.The voice acting overall is ok (just ok) except for the main character (Victoria I think). The main voice actor is horrible! Worst of all!

The cut scenes are often, and good most of the time.

The story is I believe, Still Life 's strongest part. Actually it's the only thing that worths playing the whole game.Not that is unique or anything, but it's interesting nonetheless.Well, as you probably already know, you have to catch the bad guy! The serial killer.

...as for the weakest part..

the puzzles! Oh my, the puzzles.Most of the puzzles are frustrating, the don't make ANY logical sense and they are there just to remind you that Still Life is an adventure game, and some of them (2 I think) are extremely difficult! Did I mention that nothing makes sense? The puzzles are silly and not worth spending your time on them, they just gonna add nerves to your life.

Overall, there's no way I am going to replay still life, nor am I going to recommend it to anyone. It's not the worst game I played, but the voice acting and the terribly silly and out-of-place puzzles destroyed the whole atmosphere of a good story.

4.0 out of 5 stars too short, 24 Jun 2005
Ms. Lm Smalley (boston, lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still Life (PC) (Video Game)
the game was good,but not long enough hope there is a sequel the game was left open for one,the laser section is quite hard to complete

2.0 out of 5 stars 15 hours of my life wasted...., 12 Oct 2006
This review is from: Still Life (PC) (Video Game)
On the surface this game seems like a good idea, gory murders, psychic flashes of incite, serial killers, hot FBI agent etc. However it is not the case, for all the pros there are a million cons. The puzzles are fun but stupid in content (ie cookie making, boss coffee fetching) law enforcement agencies do idiotic things, at one point the killer gives the FBI a picture with his next victim on, they know who it is and give her no kind of protection what so ever. Fools stomp all over crime scenes all through the game, the main female character tries to be funny but is NOT. The most annoying thing of all is that you don't find out who dunn it or why! What is the point I hear you scream...THERE ISNT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh hooray it tells you at the end that the game isn't over and you should go to [...] Well I did, the website no longer exists, thanks microids... you *bleep*.

Still Life (PC)
Still Life (PC) by Ubisoft (Windows Me / XP)
7.89