on 1 November 2005
I've been a fan of the x series of games - and space sims in general (e.g freelancer, freespace 2, Eve online etc) although this version of the X universe is the best yet by far. For those of who who have played X2 - its very similar - although this should be no surprise as egosoft - I understand - had originally intended to make an expansion for X2 but decided to upgrade to X3 to take advantage of better graphics engines. The grahpics in this game are stunning (I mean really stunning - the best I have ever seen in a game) - as is the music that changes depending on which system your in and whether your close to a threat. I could stay in Argon Prime forever to listen to the music. I started playng this game a couple of days ago and I'm already hooked and can see myself playing this on and off for years. The options are immense - trade and build a huge empire, go off to become a bounty hunter or a pirate or follow the story line - or proabably as I will do - all of them. The biggest problem is computer power - you really do need a powerful computer - with sufficient RAM and a good graphics card and powerful processor to get the best out of this game - otherwise it can be slow. I also had to tweak my computer to stop it from continually crashing - in the end I found it was being caused by my DLA option on my CD/DVD drive. You will also need to download a patch to the version on the DVD/ROM from the egosoft site. I understand that this is to correct some bugs in the game. Veresion 1.2 is the current patch, although I understand that another patch is expected. This is very easy to do though and mirrors what happended with X2 - there were patches for that game, although its a surprise that a patch came out for X3 so quickly (ie day of realease). Dont let all this put you off though - if your into this type of game (or want to be) then this is by far the best out there in my opinion and worth the time and effort to sort out any problems and learn the controls. With respect to the latter there is a relatively steep learning curve if your new to the x universe - although if your already familiar with X2 it is a breeze - infact the controls are better - I was playing the game comfortably after about 10 minutes or so. Its much closer to Elite now - in terms of its feel (for those of who who remember playing Elite), which I imagine is what the developers wanted. The fighting in this game is superb - the space ships have changed dramatically in appearance from X2 - they now look much more realistic (at least in terms of my image of what a space ship should look like!)and the fighting goes at a quicker pace and is reminiscent of freelancer in some ways, although better and more realistic. The pirate ships also look more menacing. Capturing ships is also more complicated - they dont automatically become yours when the pilot ejects. I could go on but I wont as I dont want to spoil the expereince of others finding out whats in this game for themselves.
All in all I rate this game with 5 stars - both for its looks and staying power. This is a game for life not just Xmas!
on 5 November 2005
X3 must surely be the greatest space trading and combat game ever. Yes, Elite was fun but X3 shows what 20 years of gaming development can produce.
The game shows dramatic space scenes as beautiful as those drawn up by sci-fi artists. There are systems full of spinning space stations, mighty battleships, huge transporters and swift moving patrol ships, all set to a background of stars, planets and gas clouds. But this comes at a hardware cost. To view the game in its full beauty, you need a system with 3 Ghz CPU, 1 Gb RAM and a decent 128 Mb current generation graphics card - minimum.
Now people new to the X Universe should get one thing clear - this game is tough. By tough I mean you could be flying around for hours and hours following the optional plot and end up with a damaged ship with no money to repair it. Newcomers must start on the easy option as the normal options should really be labelled hard.
The game is at heart an economic simulator, so the object is to search around the systems for goods to buy low and sell high. It can take some searching. You can build space stations to supply goods and buy fleets of transporter ships to ship those goods back and forth. Players will also need to build up formidable military forces to defend their empire from alien races and pirates. You can even take aggressive action to affect the supply of goods and swing the market their way.
What makes the game different from a strategy game, is the combat. You can only be in one place at once, so you can pilot one of your ships yourself and give orders to the rest of your fleet alongside you, or you can give orders remotely to your ships as you carry out business on the opposite side of the galaxy. You can even get out of your spaceship and float around in your space suit. In fact, you’ll need to do that to move between ships.
As an alternative style of play, players can take advantage of existing trading empires and loot and steal ships and create their own pirate organisation. This is tougher still as everyone will be out to get you.
I should add that the control system is complex even though it’s more mouse driven than before. Every key has a function and some have more when used with control and shift.
So if you like challenging open ended game play then X3 is for you. If you like a quick blast Wing Commander style then it probably isn’t.
on 28 July 2006
I used to have problems with this game on my old system (2.66GHz Pentium, GeForce 6200, 512MB RAM) but on my new system (AMD 4800+ X2, GeForce 7900GTX, 2GB RAM)it runs like an absolute dream, the graphics are stunning, the gameplay is deep and involving and the other ships and characters are convincingly real.

After playing this game properly the second time I realised quite how difficult it was before not using a joystick, honestly that simple difference made a world of change as I was then capable of using all of the upgrades and features without wondering which direction I was headed in.

The interface is difficult to get a grip of- all of the menus sometimes get a little confusing and sometimes even in the way but once you learn your way around the system it's not so difficult and you can really get involved in the storyline and the game in general.

The set missions are pretty good, there is some aid along the way via the players messages although some of the time you have to remember who's who in order to get around and complete the tasks, the missions are dynamic and allow you to take time in between completing missions to set up your own factories, buy your own ships, leisurely trade for profit or whatever takes your fancy. the only negative comment is sometimes when you forget where to go to start the next mission during the 'relaxation period' and you can end up going to the right place purely by coincidence and getting dragged into a mission, this is not so bad and adds an unexpected twist to an otherwise user-made pacel.

Saving is done by a way of 'salvage insurance' and this means that you have to pay 3,000 credits (the currency of the X-Universe) to save the game or else dock with a station to auto-save your game.

I have been playing this game for an incredibly long time and have only completed something like 4 missions in my 30 hours of flying time due to my long periods of trading or fighting.

Money is hard to come by for a newbie and before emmbarking on the missions a 'police licence' is a smart move, this will allow you to gain a small number of credits for any kills you make and can increase your account for kills that you have to make in the missions anyway.

All in all, the graphics are great, the gameplay is involving, the storyline is brilliant.

Not for the faint of heart/mind.
on 8 March 2006
As a small game developer Egosoft may have some problems which I'm sure the other reviews will go into, I want to avoid that and just share my experience woth the game.
I once played a game called 'Privateer 2: the darkening', and I loved it! Since that game would only run on DOS, I eventually got to the point where I could no longer play it.
I searched endlessly for another game that could capture my love of the genre in the same way, but many games came and went such as freelancer, nexus, evochron alliance etc. but when I found X3, my search was over.
Essentially you can engage in combat, trading, piracy, factory building, policing or just taking random missions at stations, its open ended, you have so much freedom. You can amass a super fleet, a super huge bank balance, or you could just be a kind soul going around helping people.
As for the problems, I installed the game on the day of release and patched it to v1.1 which was already available online, it was jerky even though i met the specs, but definately playable, then the 1.2 series of patches came out, with a huge boost to performance, great, even better. Then the 1.3 patch, brought even more speed improvements and made the whole thing look a lot nicer by adding asteroids of various sizes (though it did make a small percentage of the sectors VERY laggy). I then started installing user modifications and scripts, which added a whole lot to the gameplay.
I would like to point out that while some people have had crashing problems while playing this game, it has never crashed for me, and the 1.4 patch should be released within 9 days of this review, which according to the developers should eradicate all crashes from the game.
The game has kept me occupied since i got it (Oct 31st 2005 - march 8th 2006) and do not see myself stopping playing it for some time, great value for money and highly recommended.
on 26 November 2005
This game promised so much and delivers so little. Its basically an add on to X2 wrapped up as a new game (and with a "new game" price tag). The most striking features are
- the new graphics, which look stunning
- a slightly improved economics model
- the new graphics, which look stunning
- slightly more interesting ship combat as ships drift a little when turning
- the new graphics, which look stunning
- changes to the clunky user interface, which is different but still clunky, requiring both mouse, keyboard and joystick hat to navigate
- the new graphics, which look stunning
My machine is a very respectable, overclocked Athlon FX55, overclocked 7800GTX and 2GB ram. However, in places I still experience significant slow down. But the worst part of this game is that it was rushed to release and came out way too early. Its full of bugs; it crashes and hangs; its missing feature (eg: asteroid mining has not been added yet); it has an incomplete plot, though the latest patch does apparently fix this. Its significant that EgoSoft is already on patch 1.3, yet the game was released less than a month ago.
My advice is to not buy this game. Instead, buy X2 which is stable, will run quite happily on current specification machines, has all the features of the X series and is an excellent game. Even better, you can buy it at a fraction of the price. Then, in
9 months time when EgoSoft and the modding community have provided enough patches to make it worthwhile, buy X3 which by then will be an excellent game but at a fraction of the price.
Just one more thing. This game does not provide a cockpit view. For me, this is a big thing - after all I can't really immerse myself in a space simulator game where I don't feel like I'm actually flying a spaceship. For others, its not so important, but I thought I'd mention it.
on 9 February 2007
I bought X2 at some point in the past, and from the moment I started playing I was hooked. Although I found the combat slow (and difficult at the start of the game), the rich economic side of the game was what I had been looking for for a long time.

A year or so later, I got this.

Although I had some problems with my rather aging graphics card, it was nothing serious and anyone with anything better than an FX5200 will do fine. We tried it on a friend's more beefy 6800 and it was awesome.

I can see X3 as being fairly difficult for someone with no experience of playing X games before, but at heart it's just another space sim - most of the buttons on the HUD link to things which link to each other, it's just a replacement of the totally menu-driven HUD of the older games, which I found fairly slow to navigate through.

The X series are characterised by fairly slow gameplay with fairly fast combat inserted and I found this to be true of X3. X3, however, starts you with a better ship than the previous games, and introduces you to combat early.

I'll admit it, the learning curve is steep, but I enjoyed the game immensely.
on 29 December 2005
I bought this game on the day or release after i fell in love with X2: the threat and had been following this games development. I have played this game at version 1.2 (its initial release version), and at version 1.3 (which was released not too long ago) and i can honestly say I havent found any of the bug's mentioned by quite a few of the people on here since updating to version 1.3 (the game crashed once using version 1.2). My system is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 1GB of RAM, and a geforce 6600 GT, which isnt bad but by no stretch of the imagination top of the range, and the game runs fine on almost all settings. The game does look beautiful, I have probably spent a fair few hours just flying around for the sake of it, all of the missions have worked perfectly for me and i have had absolutely no problems using my joystick, the controls are fine for me...once I had remapped them at any rate. I found I could kill any ship that was plausible for my class of ship, except some xenon ships that were just too fast. I havent got bored of this game yet and keep coming back to it after all my other games end up boring me. As far as the DVD not working in some drives, that is unfortunate but its the same with quite a few games being released now. As the game worked for me i cant help but recommend it, it has given me so many hours of enjoyment that it would be unfair to not review it. If egosoft can sort out all the problems others are having then this will be the game to have, until that time only some of us will be able to enjoy it
on 5 November 2005
I like many people pre-ordered this game months ago. When it arrived I was expecting to be wowed. Unfortunately although the graphics look amazing and a lot of the features X series fans wanted have been included, actually playing the game is rather difficult at the moment.
I can only assume that EGOSoft must have been forced to release the game early. The frame-rate of the game out of the box is appalling which makes gameplay practically unbearable. I've reduced all the graphics quality settings to minimum, but on a P4 3200Mhz PC with 1GB RAM and a GeForce 5950FX Ultra it chugs badly. EGOSoft have tried to address this playability issue, but their second patch (1.2) breaks the plot of the game and on my system at least the framerate is still poor.
There is another scheduled patch (1.3) mid-November 2005. If you are not a diehard X fan and are thinking of purchasing the game you should consider reading EGOSofts excellent forum community on to see what improvement that makes before spending your money.
Meanwhile I would recommend diehard X fans to purchase this game. EGOSoft customer care is excellent, and I'm confident they will resolve the issues soon. It's a shame they started on such a bad footing as they are getting a battering in the forums. Just note, that if you're not careful you'll end up purchasing a new graphics card and a new sound card too to try and make the game playable as early as possible.
on 3 November 2005
I have played all of the X series and even the original Elite so I've been waiting with baited breath for the games release.
Be warned patch 1.2 is 80gb -that was the first greeting after installing the game. Patch 1.3 is due out in mid November and its necessary! At the moment the game is very CPU hungry and nvidia cards graphics card seem to suffer from low frames per second more than ATI -even the top end cards. The minimum spec on the box means that it will run on your pc, not that the game is playable.
At the moment the game for many is not 'install and go', a lot of tweaking is needed (defragging drives and driver updates)
When it runs it looks spectacular, the trading/pirating part is just like X² the threat with some improvements. (I'm early in the game and I haven't followed the official storyline yet.)
It may be better to wait for the release of patch 1.3 and watch the technical message boards/forum at to see if the low performance bugs have been solved before buying the game. If it goes anything like X²-the threat, most bugs will have been solved by patch 1.4
on 4 December 2005
X3 has taken me the six weeks to get it to run in a vaguely acceptable fashion. The good news is that the game is good enough to encourage me to persevere. The technical support people are friendly and helpful but a little swamped- as is the tech support forum on egosoft's website.
The graphics are stunningly beautiful and the combat is tense. The opportunities for trading and exploration are so vast that I doubt many players without Asberger's will get close to exploiting them all.
In short, this will be a great game when it's finished. For now, it's mediocre.