Format: DVD|Change

I Cried the first time I watched this movie, and loved it so much that I just had to buy it. I happened by chance to flick channels just at the same time the title credits were rolling. Interested, I decided to give it a shot and settled down to watch. In the first ten minutes I was hooked and phoned everyone I knew to tell them to change channel and watch it also. Everyone I have spoken to that have seen it, all agree with me, this is definately one of Julia Roberts most amazing performances ever. And even if the thought of watching a film dealing with a terminal illness doesnt appeal to you, then Campbell Scott will definately encourage you to give it a try. I would definately advise anyone to watch this. Julia Roberts fans especially - DONT MISS IT.
on 14 October 2014
This film is not short of faults, but I am going to give it 5 stars anyway for a decent effort at illustrating the unseen side of living with a severe chronic illness, and the effects of a treament such as extensive chemotherapy.

The first issue I have is the casting of Julia Roberts as a lead, and her characterisation. I have first to admit that I would very probably have passed the film by without her name on the titles. However surely she could have been given something better then being just a scatty, simply minded body on a shapely pair of legs. The film seems to start out almost as a RomCom, then becomes a melodrama, then loses it identity entirely.

One American filnm critic worte, "Worst of all "Dying Young" is a love story about two people who don't seem to be in love with each other". I partly agree agree with him, in that there is some romantic chemistry missing between the characters. However, because she is drawn to him out of sympathy, and because he is drawn to her out of desperation, does not mean that there is no love between them. I would also challenge the point of view that romance is meant to be the main theme. They are much more friends than lovers, and I have no problem with that.

My second gripe is that the dialogue is very weak. None of it is memorable.

Perhaps the most difficult problem to get over is squeezing such a long story into short a short time frame. The young man jumps from remission, to ill health, to back into remission again with no inbetween. That misses out a big part of the journey and allows little scope for character development.

I thought that the performances of Scott and Roberts were good, within the limitations of the script. Scott was the stand out of the two, but then he did have much more of a demanding role.

Because this film is so much about mortaity and quality of life, it is unlikely to find a big following amongst a young audience. On the other hand I was moved by the film enough in places enough to recommend it to a more mature audience.
on 18 January 2016
Dying Young is a good companion piece to Pretty Woman. Not only does it star Julian Roberts but her character is similar in traits, she could not have less in common with Campbell Scott's character, yet the two of them just click.

He's intelligent, educated, yet a victim of everything thats unhealthy. She is a little neglected and unloved, her mothers obsession with buying QVC dolls bores her.When another relationship goes pearshaped, ratherthan going home to her mother, she looks for a live in job that pays well, and in doing so finds herself caring for the cancer stricken Victor (Scott).

It's typical romcom fare, it starts as a working relationship, but transforms into something else. It's not high intelligence, its just a nice fluffy way to spend 90 minutes. The characters are all in their own way uniquely likable.

The aforementioned Pretty Woman outshone the sunshine of Dying Young, and understandibly so, its a far superior film, yet Dying Young just chips the mark of charm and "feel good factor" in terms of change, adaptability and what we all want out of life, love.
on 23 December 2007
A modern opera of love, music and dying. Julia Roberts is as young and beautiful as ever. Campbell Scott dramatizes the physical and psychological effects of chemotherapy on a young man, dying from leukemia, to perfection. I could not think of a better setting than the rocky Pacific coast of Mendocino, California with its melancholic moods and its somewhat eccentric population, to give perspective to the end of this tragic story. The pieces of modern art, shown in this movie, are gorgeous and most appropriate. I am no fan of the saxophone of Kenny G. Give me Ben Webster, Charlie Parker, Gerry Mulligan, Coleman Hawkins or John Coltrane anytime. This is a film for mature audiences. I am afraid that most young people don't relate very well to this kind of story.
on 23 August 2005
This is your typical romantic film. There were parts when i could feel the tears welling up. A must see for all ages.
on 17 April 2012
A real weepy, definitely chick flick. Really beautiful film, doesn't matter how many times you watch it, it still makes you cry.
on 6 February 2014
It's a film I hadn't seen for years - I'd forgotten how much I liked it - it's a beautiful love story.
on 4 February 2008
a brilliant film if you need a good cry!
very emotional and touching, i really loved it.
on 4 November 2004
This is yet another spin on the over-done romance-tragedy genre of film, and Joel Schumacher can do, and has done, better. If you want an easy-to-cry-to film for a girly night in, this film's fine. If you want a decent film, with unique style and meaning, try Joel Schumacher's other films.
Julia Roberts's let's herself down with this character who has little individuality, although does act well throughout, a similar statement can be said for her co-star.
A cute film, but lacking depth.
on 26 November 2015
Very good movie. It has not got any usual Hollywood excitement nor nothing that will give you adrenaline kick, but simple story and wonderful soundtrack is worth your time watching it.