Format: Audio CDChange

It can often be rather risky buying movie soundtracks as they quite frequently disappoint. Many soundtracks are frustratingly inconsistent in the quality of the tunes. Others are simply far too repetetive, repeating the same variations over and over until they lose their emotional impact! As I said, RISKY.
No such risk with Michael Andrews' score to the quirky arthouse flick "Me and You and Everyone We Know". This music is absolutely sublime. When I first saw the film I was quietly impressed by its offbeat characters and comic touches, but what really made an impression was the music pulsing through each scene. I left the cinema making a mental note to snap up the soundtrack.
Subsequent to "snapping up" said soundtrack, I can now confirm that this music is very affecting indeed. It has a warmth and gravity that is all its own. Andrews has opted to use analogue synthesisers and vintage beatboxes to create deep instrumental motifs. The sounds he extracts from the machines are impossibly cosy, never sounding too retro or deliberately kitsch. His melodies ooze like honey into the brain. Once the music has hit you, I guarantee it will be nigh on impossible to get it out of your head!
Special mention should be given to opening tune "When I Call A Name". It features the exchange of two girls' voices over washed out synthesiser and is a beautifully etheriel start to the disc. My current favourite, however, has to be "Mirror", where Andrews' analogue sounds reach their peak. A spluttering drum machine combines with wobbly synth notes, stabbed piano chords and a fantastic synth lead line to create a minor masterpiece.
Anyhow...this album is consistently superb from beginning to end. If I were pushed to sum up the sound of this music I would maybe say it sounds like Boards of Canada's glorious "Music Has the Right to Children", ON PROZAC! I would suggest that it should be regarded as a proper artist album rather than simply music to accompany a film. It stands alone perfectly. This can not always be said about film music, but in this case it is absolutely true. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 13 November 2009
I have bought selectively these past few years. BUT after watching the trailer for this film, I instantly had to buy both the DVD AND this soundtrack..WHY you ask..of course, and normal person would think that..but this soundtrack is a work of art in my eyes,as much as the film (buy it as well..seriously deep, funny and moving). I haven't been moved to listen to an album such as this since discovering the Sundae Club and their original style of music. This album falls into that category of how did they produce that sound...to some it'll be background noise..to others a cacophony of noises..but to me..its simply devine..

If you're not into buying soundtracks,then make this your first. Watch the trailer, buy the film...you'll wish you could listen to this music all day..i know i'm glad i bought it.
on 1 February 2013
Good music to remind you of this unusual and quirky film. I find the music very relaxing when driving in the car.
on 1 September 2014