5.0 out of 5 stars Etymotic 6i versus Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro, 28 Sep 2007
This review is from: Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro - Profesional Quality In Ear Headphones - White (Electronics)
I'm fussy when it comes to audio and prepared to pay to get improved quality but there is a greatly diminishing return when it comes to price.

I owned a pair of Etymotic 6i headphones for over two years (70) which I found excellent at blocking external noise (I commute via an old & noisy train with screaming school kids). The 6i sound reproduction was even, giving crisp / fresh high notes; but they did lack bass (my favourite ear tips were the foam).

The Ultimate Ears (UEs) are broadly similar in design yet deliver three noticeable differences versus the 6i. The UEs are not discreet, the phones are angled to 'fire' the noise better (apparently) and generally have bigger drivers in the ends which makes them stick out a bit.

This comes on to my second point, the bigger drives make a great deal of difference to the quality of the bass; the 6i do not sound as rich as the UEs and the bass is simply incredible - it puts uber expensive hi-fi speakers to shame. Conversely the delicate highs are not lost in the UEs but I'd say in my subjective opinion and by a *very small margin* the 6i were better performers at this audio range.

I found the 6i sensitive to the output volume levels on the listening device but the UEs are twice as sensitive again. I'm operating at less than a quarter of the volume these days - you have to be so careful to turn the volume down before plugging in. The UE "user guide" goes so far to have a diagram of how a volume knob looks when it is set to low! (p13)

Overall the UEs do have it over the 6i but if you not so fussed about your bass (I'm guessing that's the minority of listeners) then spare the cash and go for the 6i. (There are also UE 5 Pro with extended bass but I simply can't imagine getting on with it, these UEs seem to be ample).

The Sound Level Attenuator is a great inclusion for in-flight entertainment use (I've experienced a painful transatlantic mishap with the 6i a week after use when a mic-happy pilot kept interrupting).

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound quality, 6 Mar 2007
Mr. David A. Sturgeon (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
When i read the reviews on this and other sites i was at first extremely sceptical. i didnt believe that a set of headphones would make that much difference to my music. I have to say now that i own a pair i am truly converted. the sound is crisper, clearer. unfortunately for me the music now sounds better through my headphones than my hi-fi speakers. These headphones are worth every penny i paid for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've tried, 25 Mar 2008
M. S. WILEY "Sam" (London) - See all my reviews
These are the fourth different make of 'phones that I've tried and they are by far the best (the others being Bose, Sennheiser CX300's and Etymotic 6i's). The sound quality is amazing; warm, engaging and revealing - you're really drawn into the music and absolutely hear layers and details that you've never heard before.

Canalphones aren't for everyone due to the isolating nature of their design - they cut out background noise by blocking it out rather than cancelling it out, which can result in some annoying side effects. With some 'phones users may experience footfall feedback (especially when walking on a hard surface wearing hard-soled shoes) or friction transmission (the sound of the cables rubbing against clothing or even the wind blowing over the cables when standing in a breeze).

I have experienced both of these problems badly with the Etymotic 6i's (maybe because their design intrudes quiet a long way into the ear) which made them unwearable for me (dreadful waste of 80). However, the UE pro 5-s suffer very low (hardly perceptible) levels of these two major irritating effects - but don't try eating when wearing them, is all you'll hear is your own chomping!!

The isolating is so effective that you can hardly hear a tube train pulling into the station when you're standing on the platform, even when listening at quite low volumes, and you're quite likely to miss any announcements from the driver about station closures or delays. Even your fellow passangers will appreciate them as there is absolutely no sound leakage.

I know that 115 may sound like a lot of money, but I really wish I'd bought these in the first place, I can't fault them at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars continually amazed, 16 Dec 2006
Mark Widdowson (u.k) - See all my reviews
I spent a long time reading reviews initially i was sold on the shure e3c but was a liitle concerned about bass content so looked into e4c seemed a better buy for the more bass hungry listener.

i came across the ultimate ears 5 pro during my reading did not know anything about them so more reading and i started to like what i was reading, 2 drivers per phone, bass plentifull sounded just like what i was after i like my bass but also my clarity without being too harsh.

I have been into home cinema and hifi for many years i run 2 rel subs in my set up i have owned many headphones in my time but these pro5 have absolutely blown my mind i cannot believe how good they are.

music i know extreamly well is being brought to life with new realism and content i find the fit good with the small ends they isolate me from surrounding noise better than my noise canceling headphones that i also own and use i cannot praise them enough they are worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, 31 Oct 2007
R. Alexander "RobA" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've just purchased a pair of UE super.fi 5 pros to replace a broken and much loved pair of Shure E3Cs.
I picked the UE's because of great reviews and the fact that they were cheaper than the SE310s and have two drivers rather than the Shure's one.
My experience of the UE's after a week or so is that the bass is truly great - a huge step up from the Shure E3Cs. Consequently the overall sound is warmer and fuller. However I do feel that they lack the fineness of detail at the mid and top end that the Shure's delivered.
So far I think i'll get to love them at least as much as the E3Cs (which i had for over 3 years). I also think they will last for longer - they are more solidly put together, the replaceable chord is great and the packaging incredibly solid. In contrast I had replacement E3cs three times in three years due to the earphones cracking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blow my Shure e3c's away, 23 May 2008
My Shure e3c earphones have just snapped off at the weak trumpet bit that the foams fit on so I was looking for new ones that were a bit more robust. I wan't expecting to find any better sounding ones as the Shures are great (previously I had e2c's). However, in JFK airport they have a testing area so I tried the newest equivalent Shures but they were not as good as mine - good clarity but lack of bass. The guy behind the counter got me to try the UE 5 Pros and the difference was amazing. Listening to Dark Side of the Moon (best sound test still, after 34 years) I could feel the heartbeat just like through my Castle speakers at home - amazing sensation through earphones! Sonic range on Run Like Hell was fantastic, then pure vocals from Beach Boys sold them to me. Only downside is I should have waited and bought them on Amazon as airport price was much higher.

5.0 out of 5 stars little phones big sound, 9 May 2009
Geraint Davies "sad old git" (marches) - See all my reviews
Thought about buying shure se 310 but on all of the previous phones I have owned the cables have broken.
Saw these among others,no choice had to have them (those replaceable cables). read many reviews said sennhiser sound quality was better but at 100 more it was just too much. Have played these about 2 or3 hours
quality is improving all the time. just superb.

ARRAY(0xab43bf30)