5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 28 Dec 2005 by Catherine

2.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic sound quality
Sorry to have to say it, but the sound quality of this DVD is very poor. I'm not sure how they've managed to ruin it so completely. I have to turn up the volume SO high to hear what's being said, that the hum of the TV almost drowns out the dialogue.
Published on 16 Feb 2008 by Cf Schmitt

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Dec 2005
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I did not see the series when it was originally shown, and bought the DVDs for my daughter (aged 7) for Christmas as she loves the books. So often these TV adaptations can be a disappointment, but this lovely series remains true to the spirit of the books while expanding the characters and introducing new themes and storylines. It has been a pleasure to watch and my daughter has been riveted. It is nice to watch a TV series with no bad language or violence, and good old fashioned values for a change.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Really Doesn't Get Better Than This, 19 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
O.K. I'll be the first to admit the picture quality/ sound quality could have been a little better in places and there may have been cuts to a few of the scenes but for me this in no way detracts from the fact this first series of Little House On The Prairie is well worth purchasing.
It always surprises me watching these early episodes how well prepared in advance the show's characters were. There's never a hint of them struggling to find their feet or the need for changing a character's personality to fit into a storyline as happens often in other series, all of the characters seem seamless and natural from day one.
I'd also argue there's not a weak episode to be found in this boxset and of its type there's no other series to beat it.
There's an old saying 'never work with children and animals' but i think this series must be an exception because there's so many instances where the children (and on occasions animals) make the most important and effective characters.
There's a little moral that can be learned from each and every story in this series. There's nothing that comes close on t.v. today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-live tough times with the Ingalls, 15 Jun 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
At 43 I'm already hankering for the past and whilst browsing the aladdins cave that is Amazon I spotted The Little House On The Prairie (season one). What a brilliant programme! I remember watching it intermittently throughout the late 70's early 80's and not really appreciating it (as kids do!) so thought I'd time travel back to 1974 when this season was first aired. (I probably didn't see it at the time!)

TLHONP based on the series of books written by Laura Ingalls Wilder called Little House was a story set around the Ingalls family trials and tribulations on a Minnesota farm in Walnut Grove in the 1870-1880's. Each episode had a moral story/dilemma to it which was always brought to a feel good conclusion. This was a feel good, happy family kind of series probably only equalled by The Waltons.

The Ingalls family in season 1 consisted of. . .

Charles Ingalls, father.
Caroline Ingalls, mother.
Mary Ingalls, eldest daughter.
Laura Ingalls, middle daughter.
Caroline 'Carrie' Ingalls, youngest daughter.

This first season was preceded by a movie directed by Michael Landon whom was a script writer/star for that other classic show Bonanza who insisted he played the part of patriarch Charles Ingalls.

This 6 disc set does have the entire season one but. . .as previously mentioned there are sound level and picture quality issues (for the more pedantic amongst us!). There are scenes cut too (my reason for 4 stars) but, don't let that detract from how good this programme was. This set is still worth watching in my opinion folks!

Here's the list of episodes. . .

1. A Harvest of Friends.
2. Country Girls.
3. The 100 Mile Walk.
4. Mr. Edwards' Homecoming.
5. The Love of Johnny Johnston.
6. If I Should Wake Before I Die.
7. Town Party, Country Party.
8. Ma's Holiday.
9. School Mom.
10. The Raccoon.
11. The Voice of Tinker Jones.
12. The Award.
13. The Lord is My Shepherd (Two Hour Episode)
14. Christmas at Plum Creek.
15. Family Quarrel.
20. Money Crop.
21. Survival.
22. To See the World.
23. Founder's Day.

A brilliant, long running heart-warming series which instills good old fashioned family values which sadly appear to have gone astray in these modern times. Great locations, lovely background scenary, strong characters and dialogue. Definitely worth watching. You know that saying 'they don't make them like this anymore', well they don't. Roll on the bluray release!

5.0 out of 5 stars TV series for the family, 26 Jun 2005
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I watched Little House On The Prairie over 25 ago, but i can still recall the positive impact it made on me and the emotions evolved watching it. LHOTP is about a family settling in a small village in the late 1800s US. Every episode touched on different matters : love, affection, relationships , growing up, letting go, birth, death and was always very focussed on family and Christian values. The stories are evolving , the characters are captivating and is wonderfull to watch the series actors from when they are kids to growing up and having their own families in the story . Strongly reccommended viewing for children as it has a godd sense of humor and a strong focus on values. Wondefull music, scenery and some stories will stay with you for a long time ; they did with me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improvement on US release, 17 Dec 2005
AJ (Notts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This region 2 set is an imporvement on the region one set as it restores the titles/pre-credit sequences and the episodes appear to be uncut. The picture quality seems slightly better too, although the sound levels are still low. Top marks to Universal for the packaging, three plastic cases inside a lovely slip-case. No digi-pack rubbish that will fall apart in days!
However, this series was shot on 35mm film, surely full restoration from the negatives would be in order given the popularity and historical value of the series?

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Drama, 7 Feb 2009
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
There is little to say here that will not be obvious to any little house
fan. The DVD set is well presented and the quality of reproduction is fine as long as you remember how long ago these programs were made, so the sound and visual quality is sometimes poor by modern standards.
Nevertheless the whole series represents a timeless library of a time when relationships were founded on principle sadly lacking today. The challanges and events represented by each episode are as relevant as ever to the modern world. What is so rewarding is being reminded how close knit community of Walnut Grove works across all the usual age and status barriers that we are used to today, to resolve things with love and humility. They are the perfect antidote to the fractured and disfunctional "global" village we live in today. Enjoy them. They are precious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and enjoyable, 6 Oct 2005
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I always loved Little House on the Prairie when I was younger as did my mother and sister, so was delighted to introduce my daughters aged 10 and 12 to the first series. We take time out and enjoy each episode huddled together on the sofa. They love it and now we have finished the first series we can't wait to buy the next. This is family viewing at its best, no sex or fowl language, and a moral to be learnt from every story. Some of the stories can bring a tear to your eye but they all end on a happy note. The characters are all delightful and the stories cover a range of topics, i.e. racism, poverty, bullying, theft. I would recommend this to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Days, 25 Jun 2008
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I remember this series from my childhood and it is as good as I remember. The stories are great.

On the note of DVD quality, it isn't great. Some of the episodes are of pretty poor sound quality whereas others are like new. And there are no subtitles. But these are just little gripes.

A highly entertaining series. I've now ordered series 2. Oh, if only life were that simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Of Life, 21 Nov 2006
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This very elevated series is probably unique in that the stories do not decline but generally become better in each subsequent episode. And if Michael Landon is the writer then be especially prepared for inspiration and tears. Most regrettably, I never saw any of these episodes during its nine years on television and it was just by chance I saw some of them when it was repeated a few years ago and was immediately captivated. Michael Landon's legacy in this series is a masterpiece, and he and Mellisa Gilbert make the viewer spiritually happier with their endearing personalities and characters. Nevertheless, all the other actors and actresses give very memorable performances too. The picture quality is so excellent one always feels a spectator in the scenes. My only criticism is sometimes rather faint sound. I think subtitles would be an advantage for many. There are six discs in both Series 1 and 2 and I am only very sorry there is not yet the rest of the television series on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little House on the Prairie - Season 1, 17 Aug 2005
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This brought me back 20 years and I LOVED IT. Anyone who has fond memories of Little House when they were little will love this set. It's the first and it's fantastic. My 4 year old little boy LOVES it. I wanted it for myself to bring me back to my childhood and also to teach my son good values & morals as each story does have a moral to it. It's good for young children nowadays as it really has strong moral values regardless of religion, in a time where children don't receive these from regular TV. I would HIGHLY recommend it. You will laugh & cry watching this. It will warm your heart though - we haven't watched anything on the TV since we received it. I cannot wait to order the rest of the set (for Region 2 !!!!!)

Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD]
Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD] by Michael Landon (DVD - 2005)