5.0 out of 5 stars Adds a little something to everything!
As a foodie and avid home cook I've been meaning to try Old Bay for years but I've been making a home made version and thought it was good. . .until I tried the real stuff!

Published on 28 Nov 2012 by KM

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Bay
I bought this after hearing Nigella say that she brought some back from the States. I've tried it a few times now and have never been all that impressed. It's okay but I was expecting a more exciting taste whereas it is just average. Others might find it wonderful but taste is personal so recommendations should be taken with a pinch of salt, or without if that's your...
Published 17 months ago by Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds a little something to everything!, 28 Nov 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub (Grocery)

Old Bay has been going for around 70 years so you know it's got to be good to last that long. It's a mix of around 16 different herbs and spices which include (alledgedly!) Bay leaves, Celery salt, Paprika, Black pepper, Cardamom, Ginger, Allspice, Clove, Red Pepper flakes, Nutmeg and White pepper and a few more!

Combined into your homemade burger mix, used in soup, stews, macaroni cheese, sprinkled on hot buttered corn on the cob, pizzas, rubbed into salmon, fish, seafood, rib eye steak and chicken, used in Bloody Marys, marinades, incorporated into your bread dough before baking and anything else you can think of, this is one versatile multi spice mix.

One of my fave uses for this is as a sort of buffalo wings coating. Here's the recipie if anyone is interested-

1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1kg chicken wings or drumsticks
2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
2 tablespoons Hot chilli sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

In a small bowl, mix together Old Bay, baking powder, and salt.

Pat dry chicken with paper towels. Place in a large bowl and sprinkle in Old Bay mixture, tossing to evenly coat. Arrange the chicken in a single layer on wire rack on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil, leaving a little space between each chicken piece. Place the rack with the chicken in a refrigerator for 8 hours to overnight.

Preheat oven to gas mark 6. Move baking sheet with the chicken to an oven and cook until browned and crisp for about 30 to 45 minutes.

Combine butter, hot chilli sauce, and Worcestershire in a large bowl. Place the chicken in a bowl with the sauce mixture and toss to thoroughly coat. Move wings to a platter and serve immediately.

The one other thing we've found we like is a 50:50 mix of Old Bay to soft brown sugar and rub deeply into beef or pork ribs before grilling on the BBQ. Absolutely gorgeous!

A must have in your cooking armoury.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes on anything mix with everything, 25 May 2011
This review is from: American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub (Grocery)
Good for ribs, chicken, pasta bakes, burgers, kebabs, on chips before you oven cook them, cook with eggs, put it on cheese on toast before grilling, top a shepherds pie, mix into pizza dough for a base. Cook with fish, lamb, ham and beef. Make a gravy with a twist or mix with ketchup for awesome sauce. Really truly go for every thing. You really cannot miss. Recommended for the new cook and the experienced, for the experimenter in every kitchen. Its worth the go. Fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it.... for seafood, poultry, salads & meats., 6 Jan 2011
sharon "I listen to my books while working, a... (Falmouth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub (Grocery)
As there was not alot of info available did a bit of digging & Old Bay Seasoning dates back to 1939, Baltimore, Maryland. The spice was a "secret" mixture concocted by German immigrant Gustav Brunn. It can be used in crab patties (there's a recipe on the side of the tin), also mixed in minced beef to make burgers which surprisingly added lots of flavour & the family enjoyed it. Haven't tried it on chips or steamed vegetables yet, but give me time. Also can be used for making a spicy marinade for chicken, that recipe on the tin too.
The lid is multi functional, I can either spoon, sprinkle or pour the dried powdered herbs. States on the tin 1/4 tsp is a serving & I should get about 280 servings so I will wait & see. Not all the ingredients are listed but in order there's celery salt, red & black pepper & paprika, listed. I can also taste allspice and cloves.
Unusual seasoning & although I don't think I will use it on everything, it will definately have a regular outing.

5.0 out of 5 stars but it's great on chicken and beef and ideal to use on ..., 26 Sep 2014
This review is from: American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub (Grocery)
I'd heard about Old Bay Seasoning from some of my American Facebook friends and thought I'd give it a try. For £6 or whatever it was you get a sizeable tin - I found I only need to use a little to get that authentic American taste. I've yet to try it on prawns, but it's great on chicken and beef and ideal to use on rotisserie-cooked chickens. Very pleased with my purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 7 May 2013
This review is from: American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub (Grocery)
I watch a lot of American cooking / eating programmes and they often use this condiment, so I had to buy it when I saw it on Amazon whilst ordering some salt. I tend to concoct recipes by a bit of this and a bit of that, tipping stuff in the pot. Thank goodness I actually measured a teaspoon of this out! WOW. Spicy, hot and very flavoursome, not for the faint hearted, unless you could limit yourself to a pinch. So great value for money too as it'll last for ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful stuff, 21 April 2011
Mr. M. I. Shaw "Iain Shaw" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub (Grocery)
Read about it on a few food websites and thought "I've got to give this rascal a go".

It's distinctive. Not one for everyday use, but used with crab, chicken or prawns it's a belter. I add it to my cornflour / semolina coating for deep fried squid where it is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub (Grocery)
Rub this with some breadcrumbs into some chicken breast and cook in the oven, or put a small bit with rice and chorizo and fish for a homemade jambalaya.......smells amazing

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Bay Seasoning, 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub (Grocery)
I had seen so many references to Old Bay in recipies that I had to try it myself. I was not dissapointed. It adds that little bit of flavour that seems to be missing so often. Well worth giving it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars PUTS A KICK INTO IT, 16 Nov 2014
DOPPLEGANGER (TEDDY B) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub (Grocery)
Perhaps a greater quantity than we'll ever use, this seasoning is very pungent with a predominant salty savoury flavour that does a great job on a whole range of meats whether roasted, fried, griddled or barbecued, and vegetables (good on roast potatoes and potato wedges).

A useful addition to ones culinary arsenal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub (Grocery)
First tried this when I lived in America. Many fond memories now relived. Can't get enough shrimp now! Thank you.

American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub