5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing Story, Excellent Production, Fine Acting
This production, in my view, is one of the glories of British television acting and and story telling, even if the DVD transfer is not as pristine as we'd like. The acting is excellent, from the leads to the extras. The story is fascinating, especially if you like peeking at the lives of royalty and the upper crust. Every pound Thames Television put into the show is...
Published on 6 July 2007 by C. O. DeRiemer

3.0 out of 5 stars Edwards Medical record
It has long been conjectured what would have happened had Edward not abdicated. The result would probably have been the present queen aged 45 rather 25 as Edward and the former Mrs simpson never had any children.

While serving in the navy Edward and his brother, the future George VI, both suffered severe doses of Mumps which isn't mentioned in the DVDs. I have...
Published on 3 Jan. 2012 by James Wells

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Bought as a present - recipient appreciated it & enjoyed it!, 23 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD] (DVD)
Lovely - Bought as a present - recipient appreciated it & enjoyed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the actors, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely love this watched it over and over brillent

2.0 out of 5 stars A technical disaster of a DVD - what happened to quality control?, 3 Sept. 2006
M. J. Jacobs "michael jacobs" (Edgware, London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD] (DVD)
This was an epic drama in its day - I didn't see it then, but having just sat through I Claudius and Edward VII, my wife and I were in the mood for more classic royal drama. We chose Edward & Mrs. Simpson.

I have to say that we found the casting very weak - I couldn't buy into Simpson's (presumably fake) accent, or any aspect of Winston Churchill. As other reviewers have said, we really don't get to understand why Edward threw away one of the best jobs in the world - we never get to see what's so special about her.

We were especially disappointed that the story ended in mid-air without any hint of "what happened next" in narration or scrolling text. We learnt more from websites than we did from the TV programme.

It was good to see Patrick Troughton in what must have been one of his last major TV roles, and Nigel Hawthorne as a smooth lawyer-incarnation of Sir Humphrey Appleby. Queen Mary was better (more convincing) towards the end of the series, and George V never seemed to look like the man in the photos. I would have liked to have seen more on his relationship with Edward, and Edward's relationship with Bertie. But I suppose for that, you'll have to look out for the BBC's "The Lost Prince", which had much better performances and characterisations all round.

My biggest gripe was that the technical quality of the disc was poor beyond belief. It refused to play in 2 different players some of the time, and when we came back from the ad break (they left the "end of part one, part two" titles in for some reason), one episode featured a long gap with a blank screen and then you could see the clapper-board with the clock counting down to the start of part two! I have never seen such bad editing on any DVD I've ever watched. And we saw it again at the start of the penultimate episode when we used reverse play to wind back to a bit we'd missed because the sound didn't start the first time we played the episode. This is almost inexcuseable. The entire disc was ultimately playable with sound, but the problems distracted us from the drama.

In any case, after watching I Claudius and Edward VII, it seemed that Edward & Mrs. Simpson just lacked the production values, the distinguished cast (despite some very notable names), and the sheer narrative flair. It also looked like it needed a good dose of digital restoration, regardless of how much it had already had. Now we are looking for something a lot better to raise our confidence in ITV drama of that period. I know that Network DVD have done a lot better on the quality of other titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars edward and mrs simpson, 15 Jun. 2010
Ms. Dl Elliott "dvd maven" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD] (DVD)
i remember when this came out on itv i couldn,t wait for the next episode now i can watch it when i want exellent drama and brilliant acting edward fox was exellent as the king

5.0 out of 5 stars Edward and Mrs Simpson., 27 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD] (DVD)
A well made drama and well acted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 27 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD] (DVD)
bought as a present, no comment

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD] (DVD)
Great DVD, excellent service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Sept. 2014
A. S. Wills "willman" (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
Tour de force from Edward Fox

2.0 out of 5 stars A Missed Opportunity, 8 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD] (DVD)
I found this production disappointing, I'm sorry to say - a real missed opportunity. It's entitled Edward and Mrs Simpson, but there is very little focus on the actual love story, and its progression. In programme two it's suddenly just presented to us that they're in love, and that's it. There is no development of the romance, and the why's and how's of Edward's growing obsession - the focus is almost exclusively on everyone else's reaction to it. I was desperate for the series to linger over their growing passion, I mean come on guys, this is the love story of the century! The man was prepared to give up his throne for this woman! And yet there's hardly a kiss in the whole thing. Not once do the pair truly articulate their feelings for each other, or are we given to understand exactly why he fell for her and needed her so much. As a viewer you feel like someone stuck outside a house where a great party is taking place, unable to get in, and only able to look at snatches of the spectacle through the windows. There is too much focus on dull politics and dull politicians. Yes this is important and should be an integral part of any depiction of the story, but it shouldn't dominate to the exclusion of all else. Throughout the character of Wallis remains an enigma. You suspect that there are all sorts of machinations going on in that beautifully-coiffed head of hers, and that she's a scheming adventuress who would love to become queen, but this aspect of her character is never explored. Edward, played spot-on by Edward Fox, is better depicted, coming across as spoiled, petulant and shallow. But when all's said and done the two remain little more than cyphers in an unsatisfactory depiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Nov. 2014
liked this film

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD]
Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD] by Waris Hussein (DVD - 2005)