4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, except for a few problems.
I bought this today with my birthday money, and apart from one or two purely practical, and not speculative, problems it's absolutely great.

Published on 12 April 2007 by Harry E. J. Drummond

2.0 out of 5 stars Great when it's working
Published on 19 Aug 2006 by kELTY

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, except for a few problems., 12 April 2007
This review is from: Doctor Who - 12" Radio Control Black Dalek (Toy)

The first problem was that within seconds of it starting to operate, the eyestalk ceased moving, and although i managed to get it working again, it refuses do do a full sweep, lingering on one side and just going up and down which is fairly aesthetically frustrating.

The second problem is that the gun, eyestalk and plunger are rather weak, I've actually stopped adjusting the gun and plunger because I'm scared that they'll break off. They could easily have been made from the same durable plastic as the rest, which would make them infinitely cooler as well, as a squishy plastic gun just isn't the same as a hard, metallic one.

Aside from those two issues, I'm very happy with it, and I may indeed be buying the gold dalek to keep him company. Then I'll only need two more and I'll have the cult of Skaro...

And no money...

5.0 out of 5 stars Dalek Toys come of age at last!!!!, 7 Sep 2005
This review is from: Doctor Who - 12" Radio Control Black Dalek (Toy)
Although Remote Control Daleks have been around for a few years, this one by Character Options is the best yet, with all the features you could want. At last the lights flash in unison with the speech, and the voice can be controlled separately on the Remote Control. Now it can speak when YOU want it to!!!! Plus there are plenty of phrases. The toy looks really good and there is plenty of attention to detail. The plunger and gun are detachable at last too!!! The light up eye is FANTASTIC.
Overall a GREAT toy and model, at a competitive price, and deserves to be the top selling toy this Christmas!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Jan 2007
Elaine Emmett "Emmey" (Southampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who - 12" Radio Control Black Dalek (Toy)
I bought this as a last minute tree present for my 'somewhat older than 21' partner who is a fan of remote controlled gadgets and likes watching Dr Who. I was amazed at how great this toy is. It (scarily!) looks, acts and sounds like the real thing. A fun change from remote controlled cars for kids of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will obey the Daleks!, 15 Sep 2005
This review is from: Doctor Who - 12" Radio Control Black Dalek (Toy)
Fabulous in every respect, from the eerie blue light at the end of the eyestalk to the brilliant set of phrases it says. Every one a Dalek classic. Whilst it won't levitate like the 'real' ones do, it does cope well with many surfaces including carpet. My kids love it. They're more popular with their friends because of it. My wife thinks I'm sad, but what does she know?

2.0 out of 5 stars Great when it's working, 19 Aug 2006
kELTY "hellomoto" (South Uist, Western Isles, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who - 12" Radio Control Black Dalek (Toy)
I got one of these on holiday and I was really happy with it until the speech stopped working and I had to send it back. I would definatly buy this item again if it was better quality. It's plastic and tacky, though the speech when it was working was very realistic. I have another toy from the same company, a Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, which is very very good quality. I have had it since may and it is still working perfectly. I even dropped it onto tarmac once and it was fine. I definately Recomend the Sonic Screwdriver to any Doctor Who fan. Peter Age 12

5.0 out of 5 stars Will the Dalek Exterminate the Degg's ?, 7 Jun 2007
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Doctor Who - 12" Radio Control Black Dalek (Toy)
A super piece of kit, all members of the family seem to love him, therefore suitable for all age ranges. A great toy for any Who fan.

He moves well but even better on tiled floors as on some carpets (longer pile) there is a slight difficulty as he seems to get stuck. Tried him on wooden flooring and there is no stopping him! Just watch out for your pets, our dog likes to sniff him and follow him about, he has not been barked at yet, but the dog has been told that "he will be exterminated".

The sounds he makes are amazing, (unlike the remote controlled toys of years ago). My husband says he sounds so realistic, what is it with men and their toys, especially ones from their own childhood? I suppose that the next, next generation will also be into the Doctor (if it has anything to do with our children that is, as they adore him).

The plunger (eye part to me) is the only down side (it appears to be a weak part, comes unstuck and really difficult to put back into place if you are heavy handed like myself. This part came off when trying to remove him from the box, 'God I thought there you go I've broken it already', anyway same thing happened later when husband playing with him, so no it was not me! The rest of his body part is more solid (plastic) but albeit quite strong, and looks so authentic, even down to the tiny details.

It takes an awful lot of batteries to power him and remember that they are not included in the price, so if you are thinking of buying one remember to buy batteries or the person/you that it is for would be rather miffed if they couldn't use it straight away.

Glad I bought one for my son, yes! would I buy it after seeing and using it? Yes!

The beauty of this is that it is also a sexless toy, therefore you could buy one for any girl or boy Who fan.

Warning though if bought for young child, poor child will hardly get any play with it, but daddy and elder siblings will be eternally grateful for the use of it !

5.0 out of 5 stars A present almost too good, 26 July 2006
This review is from: Doctor Who - 12" Radio Control Black Dalek (Toy)
I am using my parents account for this. I am only 10 and no typer so do not judge me on my spelling.

This toy was so good that it almost wrecked my christmas when I broke it's exeptionally weak eye-stalk (the lighty-up bit, parents.) It is in fact fixable.

The toy is worderful. Movement is fantasic, and range of speech is amazing. There are even hidden phrases by pressing a dialogue button more than once (eg. seek, locate, annihilate becomes seek, locate, destroy if pressed repeatedly) The only tiny criticisms are that 1) The voice is not totally authentic (but its the nearest thing to it) 2) My dalek cannot fly 3) My dalek cannot exterminate my parents 4)two Daleks cannot react together

Overall: amazing. You may not have the problems my dalek had. You may have others

5.0 out of 5 stars Dalek review by Archie, 8 Jan 2006
Paul C (camberley, surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who - 12" Radio Control Black Dalek (Toy)
This was my best christmas present. It's great fun. I would like it to fly and roam free and communicate with other daleks and be able to identify its master (Davros) and come to him.
Only problem is that remote control knobs are too weak and have broken several times and are very difficult to repair.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only it was life-sized!, 4 July 2006
Bryan (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Doctor Who - 12" Radio Control Black Dalek (Toy)
Oh, my word! Without a doubt, this copy of the Dalek appearing in the new series of Doctor Who has to be the best yet! It moves! It talks! It chases the cat! What I wouldn't give to own a life-sized version. What's more, this is not just a toy, it's a collector's item which I believe will become valuable in the future. Keep the box! Now, circa 2006, Episode 12/13 of the Tennant series...HOW ABOUT A BLACK DALEK!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars EXTERMINATE ! ALL HUMANS !!, 3 Jan 2007
NEO "Daren" (orpington kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who - 12" Radio Control Black Dalek (Toy)
With the advent of the new series of Dr Who there are the new super cool Daleks that can do what the originals only could dream of. The design is almost the same with only beefed up detailing which makes them look tougher. Here is the Black Dalek Supreme ,remote Toy/Model and is a great addition to a growing collection. It has seven dalek speech phrases which sound authentic enough at the touch of a button. The head swivels as it moves on the floor which needs to be smooth and flat or it will get stuck !. All in all if you have the space to put this , it's a must buy for the fan young and old of the series. It's just a pity that a radical re-design of these evil pepperpots wasn't given the go ahead. I would have liked to have seen a metal spider like new Dalek to bring it into the new era !.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›