5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible
I was sad to see the relatively negative reviews about this film as I found it to be incredible. The animation was outstanding and although the dubbing isn't perfect, i've seen a lot worse on Japanese animation dubs. The English voices fit the characters pretty well, although you can't beat the original Japanese voice and reading the subtitles. The storyline was great...
Published on 24 Mar 2007 by Spider Monkey

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but the plot itself doesn't build up much steam
I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to anime, which means I can't compare Steamboy to Katsuhiro Otomo's legendary Akira. I can, however, say that I enjoyed Otomo's contribution to the film Memories more than I did Steamboy. Both share the same kind of heavily industrial world of the past, cast in sepia-like tones reflecting an atmosphere of...
Published on 31 Oct 2005 by Daniel Jolley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Big film, Big diassapoiuntment, 13 Feb 2007
The look and the feel of this film is fantastic! the animation is by far some of the best I have seen outside of Studio Ghibli work.

The blending of 2D and 3D CGI is seamless and adds to the fluidity and dramatic appeal of the anime.

Sadly that is where the greatness ends.

Usually anime sagas are set in Japan where their cities and environment get destroyed or changed by the events of the story. For a Japanese audience the setting of this film in Victorian London on an alternate timeline, where the world has progressed in a different direction to what we know must be fascinating. Much in the same way that we find life in Japan fascinating through anime.

The problem with this film is the storyline and the audio dub. It is absolute rubbish! Its poorly acted and because the storyline is modified to fit the audio dub the whole film is tiresome and dull.

When compared to anime greats like Laputa Castle in the Sky from Studio Ghibli ( Steam boy draws great parallels on what could be imagined as the events leading up to what / why Laputa was created ) this film has everything you could want from a fairytale fantasy story, apart from the all important good story.

The attention to detail and the designs of the buildings and machines is fantastic, some really great anime. This reason alone is enough to make you sit through and endure the poor acting and story line.

I'm sure that in another 6 years when a better audio dub is created and the storyline adjusted to suit, this film will be everything it should of been first time out.

If you want a good anime story, for the children or the child inside the adult ( we've all got one ) then Laputa is the film for you.

If you want a good looking anime and your not bothered about the story then buy Steam Boy.

The whole story is marred by the fact that the technology and workings of the story are biased on real things we know cannot work in the way they are depicted. The essence of good fiction / fantasy is the fact that the technology and magic work with no need for explanation.

In Steam Boy the story is flawed before it even left the drawing board. We have developed far beyond steam power and understand the technology behind steam all too clearly for this film to be even remotely engaging on a technical / fantasy level.

For a 2 million production budget and for Patrick Stuart, far too much was spent on the anime and not enough on the audio and story...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, but..., 23 Nov 2007
This review is from: Steamboy [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I have nothing to add to the previest reviews, except the fact that this version doesn't have the original Japonese language option. The US voices are ok, but nothing compares to the original Japonese voices. Ence the 3 stars rate for the DVD release. The movie itself gets a 4 stars rate.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but there are better anime cartoons out there., 12 Sep 2006
This review is from: Steamboy [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
While this film is reasonable, it lacks the magic of other anime cartoons such as Castle In The Sky, Spirited Away and Porcco Rosso.

The animation is modern and crisp and I'm sure you'll recognise a few of the voices, but these features just can't make up for the poor plot and lack of character development.

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch Ghost In The Shell instead, or Akira again!, 22 Aug 2005
Mrs. M. Sachdev (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steamboy [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I purchased this DVD on a recent trip to Singapore. It was an official R3 release, with Japanese dialogue and English subtitles. Here's the verdict:
It is a very, very boring movie!
Yes, the graphics & CGI are incredible, with unbelievable attention to detail. But, believe me, nothing can save this movie from the annals of mediocrity. By the time I'd passed the 20 minute mark, I couldn't care less what happened to the protagonist (Ray STEAM? Using a STEAM-powered ball? Called STEAMBOY? Are they kidding?). There's tons of Anime these days with incredible graphics and deep, intriguing story-lines. This isn't one of them. I cannot even be bothered to outline the story, as it's just so stupid.
It is not worth watching, and hence not worth buying. Believe me, you will get much more satisfaction from watching the Ghost In The Shell TV series (Stand Alone Complex), which is a truly accomplished work, or watch Akira again for the eighth time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Technically well made - but ..., 22 July 2013
This review is from: Steamboy [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
... that can't compensate for the fact that Steamboy's storyline is borring and pointless and most of the main characters, unlikeable - extremely unilkeable - to the point where I hate them and wished they would just die ... of course they never do.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a fun film, that is visually pleasing, interesting and original., 22 Mar 2010
David Henessy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steamboy [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Visually it is very well done, even if the art work does come across as simplistic at times. Regardless it is visually stunning and a joy to watch. Earning it one star.

The main character follows the standard Hollywood track of an unlikely hero trying to save the day. However the story structure is new and kept my interests through out. By the second act you really do care what will happen to the characters. Earning it two more stars one for characterization and the other for an original story line.

The fourth star goes to the great voice acting and all round musical score of the film. The Manchurian lead boy genuinely sounds Manchurian. Plus the score fits and helps set the atmosphere.

My only strong criticism of this film is that I personally would not watch it again; there was nothing spectacular enough to make me want to watch it again. Nevertheless I would recommend seeing once as it is a fun film, that is visually pleasing, interesting and original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steam boy - Pure steam punk, 13 Mar 2011
N.R Armstrong "N-RA" (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steamboy [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
After recently becoming aquainted with the Steam punk genre I was disappointed to find that there was very little in the way of film covering this exciting topic. I came across this film whilest looking at Steam punk items on Amazon. I found it reasonably priced, although I would have prefered to have puchased it on blu ray. Never the less, I made my purchase.
It arrived a day or two ago. It was then that I realised that it had been created by one of animes leading film makers - Katsuhiro Otomo, the creator of the cult film Akira. Being a fan of Akira since my teen years I was in no doubt that I would not be dissappointed. I wasn't.
This film is the closest dipiction of Steam punk that I have come across to date. With the exception of Wild Wild West, this is the only true Steam punk film that I know of to date. And with Otomo at the helm of creation you know that it is going to be full of action and disaster on an epic scale. Just when you think he can't take it any further, and the film should end, Otomo cranks it up another notch.
The animation is second to none and will emerse you in the world of Steam punk. Some of the dialogue is a little bit off shall we say, but for me this did not detract from the overall feel of the film. Fast paced, action pact, excellent soundtrack, and filled with true wondermeant of the mechanics of the Steam punk England, this film does not fail to deliver. Beautifull, clever and well thought out in everyway possible. A must buy for anyone who is a fan of STEAMPUNK!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars _I_ Am Your Father!, 25 July 2006
The only reason this isn't getting 1 star, is because of the incredible animation. Two stars is still the lowest score I've given a film (or perhaps _anything_ on Amazon).

I hadn't heard of this film, but the director's credentials sold it to me. Even if you don't like Anime (I'm indifferent to it myself), you have to admit that Akira was pretty damn cool.

This however, is just fantastically dull. You don't care about the characters, since they're in a story you don't care about either. The only decent part of the plot (the father son theme) is handled poorly, and it appears to be too much of a rip-off of the way Star Wars executed it (which is ironic considering where George Lucas got most of Star Wars from).

I could go on about what was boring in the film, but that would involve telling you pretty much everything that happens. Suffice to say that I was bored, and bored badly -- something which is rare for me in film since I'm fairly easy to please.

It's such a shame then, that the animation is so awesome. It's perhaps the best I've seen (and at $20 million, and coming from Japan, I'm not surprised). Sadly nothing interesting enough happens to engage your imagination with this animation, and you end up not caring about this aspect of the film either. The final act tries desperately to throw in something worth the standards the animation can achieve, but plot-wise it's all been done before, and better.

So if you like Steam Punk, Akira, Anime, or ... well if you like _anything_, then this isn't for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch the pictures ignore the story!, 3 April 2006
DM Webster "arakis2002" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
Hmmm... this may well have a mixture of 2D and 3D animation but for the first half of the two hours the film drags. Not the best film I've seen but not the worst. Marvel in the animation, ignore the story

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›