4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome print
Published on 18 Sep 2005 by M. Gibb

2.0 out of 5 stars Ohh dearo dearo dear!
Published on 9 Sep 2005 by ednun pourtahmasbi

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome print, 18 Sep 2005
M. Gibb "thing187" (Auckland New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers - The Movie Reconstructed [DVD] (DVD)
This film has never looked so good. This curtained widescreen shows more picture yes, but the fact that the images are so bright and crisp is what makes this a must buy. The extras appear to be a lot but other than the TV spots there isnt much new on offer here which is a shame, especially when they could easilt whip together a featurette or a directors commentary. I take 1 star off because some of the dialogue has been bolstered up too loud and makes my surround speakers distort slightly. It sounds great some of the time and other times loses sound clarity because of this. Still this is the best version on the market, get into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars dont make' em like they used to!, 7 Nov 2006
C. Thorrington "kenobi" (poole, dorset, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers - The Movie Reconstructed [DVD] (DVD)
If your 20 something and want to relive your youth, then this is it. It doesnt get much better than transformers the movie. Ground breaking animation, decent dialogue, and a soundtrack to take your breath away. For those growing up on the "new" transformers then this is a must. See how it all began,how it all used to be, cos you aint gonna get better. "now light our darkest hour"

5.0 out of 5 stars "Such Heroic Nonsense.....", 6 April 2007
K. Snowdon "KARL05" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers - The Movie Reconstructed [DVD] (DVD)
...But its NOT. From the words of Megatron to the Mammoth Unicron, this movie summons you here for a purpose. -A quality tale of gripping, fast paced, character-forming good versus evil story. After the heroic battle at the beginning which grabs your attention by the throat, the movie follows on into a slower, chilling area where you learn more of the other good & evil robots in the transformer story. With fine character interplay particularly by Cup, HotRod & the Dinobots, you instantly warm to this story and appreciate the twists and turns it delivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Till All Are Widescreen (This Will Do), 4 Sep 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Transformers - The Movie Reconstructed [DVD] (DVD)
Just got this and I have to say the print is crisp and the sonics good if not great.This is not the widescreen release,a fact I realised prior to ordering it, but is in my opinion the best available version of the greatest film made ,so hence the five star rating.A good stopgap till the definitive widescreen version.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid cartoon classic, 30 Sep 2005
M. JONES "mj1001" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Transformers - The Movie Reconstructed [DVD] (DVD)
I always used to love Transformers and although, looking back, the series (especially the first) was pretty naff, the film has always been good. It does my head in when it gets critisised for being a marketing stategy when the same hypocrites probably go to watch films like Star Wars and Batman, knowing the merchandise surrounding them.
The story in Transformers the Movie is fairly simple and fits into two halves; the first is a gigantic battle between the Autobots and Decepticons which is shot beautfully and has plenty of action and a terrific showdown. The second half however, is a bit slower and concentrates on a giant planet-like Transformer who simply "devours" other planets.
Despite some iffy animation here and there, the film knows how to turn on the drama in the right places and is always fun to watch. And the soundtrack, however cheesy, superbly fits the atmosphere and excitement. The guest voice-overs arent really anything special, although Orson (yes thats right!) Welles' Unicron is memorably authoritive and sinister.
There is barely any difference from what i can see between the PG and U versions except for one use of the word s**t. So there u go, u may as well by the U version now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent transaction, A Credit To Ebay, Highly Recommended Many Thanks A+10/10, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Transformers - The Movie Reconstructed [DVD] (DVD)
Transformers - More Than Meets The Eye:-)

Many Thanks A+10/10

The Transformers: The Movie is a 1986 animated feature film based on the animated TV series by the same name. It was released in North America on August 8, 1986 and in the UK on December 5, 1986.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Jun 2013
slimjim (Co Wexford, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Exactly as stated

4.0 out of 5 stars Out with the old..., 30 Aug 2007
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Transformers - The Movie Reconstructed [DVD] (DVD)
Despite being a HUGE Transformers fan as a kid, for one reason or another I didn't see the film on its release so have had to live with the feeling that I missed out on an important part of my youth ever since.

Well, having now seen it, the good news is that the TF film is an entertaining and occasionally inspiring piece of work. The characters are solid (helped no end by the excellent voice cast) and the script is of good, if not great, quality. The film was originally shot in various non-widescreen formats and was cropped top and bottom for its cinema release and the way the makers of this DVD have transferred the print means that we see the whole film, rather than the cropped cinema version. I initially found this irritating, with large borders showing at each side of the screen, but have grown to appreciate it somewhat more over time. I nevertheless think that the film would look more cinematic and less like a TV show if the widescreen format had been preserved.

The bad news is that the animation can't compete with that which kids are now used to seeing every day on the cartoon channels, often being only as sophisticated as that used in the original Transformers TV series. The sound is also a bit of a mixed bag, serving up some great sound effects but also some at times indistinct dialogue. Whether this is inherent in the master copy, or a by-product of the transfer to DVD, is unclear. The other issue I have with the film is the fact that it appears occasionally little more than a contrived way of getting rid of old characters and replacing them with new ones, maybe with pushing toy sales in mind. A number of old favourites are despatched within seconds of appearing on screen, often without saying or doing little, if anything, of value. I suppose that the film was a sort of transition piece between the old and new Transformers, so I won't blame the makers for it, and having loads of new characters would have added a sense of freshness to the franchise at the time.

It's apparent from the first few minutes that the film was a work of genius when it was released back in 1986. Some of the opening scenes in particular are reminiscent of a Hollywood blockbuster of that period and would undoubtedly have served to make for memorable watching. The problem is that, whilst the film would have been untouchable back then, it can't really compare to what we've seen since. I doubt that many kids today would bother with it, whilst some older Transformers fans would be unable to get past its shortcomings. That's not to say that it isn't worth buying, because it is, I just can't shake the feeling that I would have appreciated it far more as a ten-year-old than I ever could today. I won't mark it down for those reasons, primarily because it was made for kids in 1986 rather than adults in 2007, but I still wish that I had seen it on its release, when I was less likely to spot its faults.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ohh dearo dearo dear!, 9 Sep 2005
This review is from: Transformers - The Movie Reconstructed [DVD] (DVD)
Ok, this is my first actual review of a DVD. Normally I don't write these but in this case I thought it was my duty to make an exception. As we all know, this release of transformers the movie is supposed to have a new image re-mastering and of course a new dreaded audio mix. I really know nothing technical about fixing up the films image, other than saying it looks pretty good and its nice to see the extra footage. What I do know about however, the purpose of this review is to complain about the horrendous audio that's been released for this title, the audio that was actually taken to a separate sound studio to be remixed and enhanced. Back when we first started getting the re-mastered g1 transformers seasons on DVD, I was vaguely hopeful where the audio was concerned. I'm an sfx designer myself and I thought ahh, they actually seem to have done a good job with season ones box set. Clear explosions, some not to intrusive new laser gun fx, really good quality dialogue, I was I have to say very impressed, even though this animation was supposed to be from the early eighties. As the seasons went on however we got some very odd stuff turning up. A choice of different audio tracks, either 5.1 or the original 2.0 stereo. But wait! These stereo tracks sometimes contained the odd sound effect that we'd never heard before, and what was worse was that the 5.1 tracks especially in seasons three and four were a disaster. The music, especially the main theme had no bass to it. Vocals sometimes distorted, weapons fire was thrown all over the place, and worst of all for some of the earlier episodes, a lot of the sfx were out of phase between speaker sets. Despite this however, I did actually buy the newly reconstructed movie, the audio on the old DVD release not really having been enhanced, more of a stereo delay being slapped across it to make it sound usable. Well, too start with make no mistake, the 2.0 stereo track is exactly the same as the 5.1 track, in that it has all the new improved sfx that the 5.1 track does. Actually as it happens the original movie never had a stereo track, and neither did any of the original seasons for that matter, but rather good old mono. Can we get hold of that though? No! That would just be too dam easy and sensible wouldn't it. Ok, so what did they do? Well, seems like all of us complained at some point or another about the new sfx in the re-mastered g1 seasons appearing too out of place. Personally I didn't mind some of them, that's the point of new sfx, your going to notice they've been changed or added, the real trick is making the old source material sound clear enough that it works in context. Anyway, this time they've gone for the subtle and really weird "we'll add new sfx in at a level that hardly makes them noticeable, whilst still leaving the main movie as cruddy sounding and unclear as it ever was." the result basically, is a really strange hybrid of cool 80's cartoon sound with a ridiculous amount of bass, vocals that go loud and quiet depending on the scene and are always at the wrong levels compared to the music, and some really strange additions to the weapons sfx that quite frankly really didn't need to be there. In fact its my opinion that who ever remixed this movie just grabbed a sample of a really low rumbling sound, and slapped it across the original movie when ever they felt there needed to be a bit more punch to the sound. "big laser gun shot guys? Ooohh, better crank up that base and stick in some rumble again. Shall we change the original laser gun effect? Make it clearer even? No no, too time consuming and complicated, just slap on the rumble." The 5.1 track in particular is the most horrendous, with the vocals distorting and braking up at times, not to mention that the music pans round and round the speakers or is left unbalanced on one side in a most disturbing and unprofessional fashion. Don't get me wrong, its not all bad, for instance Unichrons newly enhanced and slightly stereo voice on the 2.0 track at least really kicks arse, and the sound of the glass dome shattering in Autobot city has been integrated really nicely. This release did admittedly start to grow on me after a while although only when I listened to the 2.0 track, the other one...............well, lets just say if I find the engineers that did the mixing on this I'm going to do something quite unpleasant to them, possibly involving Megatrons fusion cannon, some nipple clamps and a long length of duct tape. Bottom line, if you want this DVD its worth a watch and a listen at least, but the lack of really good movie related features, the music composers interview that was present on the original American DVD release for the example, the lack of the original audio track and the truly weird and sometimes downright awful offerings of the new audio track make it a bit of a dubious purchase. I hear there's going to be yet another release soon so who knows? Maybe it'll be better. Sorry to rant about this, but quite honestly I hate to see one of my favourite childhood movies messed around with in such a bad way. If your going to change it, change it well and at least do it with some style.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best animated movie you will ever see!!!, 14 Jan 2009
This review is from: Transformers - The Movie Reconstructed [DVD] (DVD)
Without a shadow of a doubt, this is a 'landmark' in animation history.

No doubt the plot has been explained in previous reviews on this page so I shall not waste your time.

This movie is great! Emotional, action packed, and awesome for its time.
It was legendary then, and it's still legendary now :)

Transformers - The Movie Reconstructed [DVD]