4.0 out of 5 stars snazzy, but not pocket-sized, 20 Aug. 2007
C. Bull (Leicester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archos AV700 100GB Mobile Digital Video Recorder (Electronics)
I got the AV700 a year ago, and so far, I have found it a reliable piece of kit. I've taken to putting my entire video and DVD collection onto it, but I'm still doing it a year later!!
That's one of the down-sides - as far as I am aware, it will only record from the TV at 1.0x speed, so you have to watch it whilst you record it. The benefits however, outweigh the negatives. For example, you can record from a DVD player without a TV, or you could even watch a DVD on it, using it as the screen. Also, the second I plugged it into my PC it coppied all the episodes of LOST I've downloaded of the net straight onto it. The Filemanager on it is also top-notch. you can move, delete, re-name and re-organise all your videos pics and music with ease. However I do find that I use my Ipod nano as a music player, and this as a MP4 player, because it's just too darned big. It's great on trips though - I go caravanning every year, and find I use all of it's features to death. Another good point is that it comes with all the acessories you'll ever need: carry-case, remote control, TV station, hook-up leads, european and UK charger adapters. it'll run off of a scart or three way cable (red white and yellow) and it's great to link to take around someone's house, hook it up to their TV and watch your videos. It turns itself off when you're not doing anything with it, and stays on when you're watching a movie. Its battery-life is incredible as well. I can watch a good two or three movies and still listen to music on it for ages.
When recording from DVD, the quality is spot-on, but VHS is a bit grainy (more so than usual), and on both many of the darker colours seem to be lost into one big blob of blackness.
You can even change the wallpaper and colour scheme. It's a shame you can't edit photos on it.

-ives: size, styling, quality of a darker pictures and lack of photo-editing software
+ives: capacity, usability, connectivity, size of screen and TV output function

So, at the price it's at now it's a steal, even if it's got some issues. Overall I highly recommend it over any other media player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Archos AV700 Just Excellent, 11 Sept. 2005
D Ashley-Pain (Hankham, UK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have now had the Av700 for nearly 2 months and I just love it. I have recorded DVD after DVD onto it as well as programmes from the TV that I want to watch later. The picture quality is very good indeed,(Its LCD not TFT)but you do need to record using the hightest frame/bit rate. It is very easy to use and easy to navigate from one feature to another. All my friends are just amazed and I am sure it's the next thing on their xmas list. The music loads just fine and plays like any other mp3 player. The battery lasts about a couple of movies on average. I record via my dvd player with a cable directly into the avIn of the av700. I also have a cable running from my video recorder also into the Av700 and just swap them around depending on which source I am recording from. This seems to work really well for me. To play back to the TV I run a 3plug cable from the AVout of the archos just into the front of the TV (like a camcorder). The only problem is that if you record a DVD and it is copy protected it will record directly onto the Archos but won't play back thru a TV. It's the same if you have a film on your pc and transfer it to your Archos it will copy over but won't play. If you set the Archos to the Hard drive setting it opens as a separate drive on your pc and then you can just drag and drop music or anything you like. If some homevids don't work it does come with software to convert it. The AV700 is not that heavy and you can't put it in your pocket like their other models but boy it looks good, even when switched off!! Careful of the screen as I feel if you don't use the protected case it can get easily scratched. It does take time to fully appreciate what it can do. I would give it 5 stars, only the photos are never as good on LCD as they are on TFT. A film will take about 2.5gig of hard drive at 2500 bit rate (highest setting)as the Archos converts it into compressed DivX
If you do a lot of travelling then it's a must, but if you don't, it's hard to justify the price, specially to the Mrs!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - (But costs a lot ! ), 31 Oct. 2006
It is fantastic I'm glad i bought it - it plays music - just like any other MP3 player, DVDs and even TV programmes. Picture Quality =

Brilliant! - its LCD not TFT, and you have to record at the highest frame/bit rate. Battery Power = around 2.5 movies.

I can play it through the TV by running a 3plug cable from the AVout of the archos just into the back/front of the TV - similar to what you would do with a camcorder.

Downsides with the Digital Video Recorder - if you download a 'copyrighted' movie - you'll just end up with something that won't play through your TV - same with your PC.

Other probs are I constantly watching the screen of the Archos and making sure it is in the case that comes with it. But that's probably me as it comes in such good condition I'm worried I `ll make a big scratch on the screen!

So to round up, you can only download on the highest f/bit rate (2500) therefore a film is around 2.5g (the Archos converts it to compressed DivX). So, of the 100g Hard Drive space that you'll get with the AV700, you'll only be able to put on around 40 films - (less if you've put on photos and music etc...)

My advice would be if you are going to use this for photos don't; the AV700 is a LCD so the photos will never be as good as they are on a TFT.

But this is what you should buy as I was going to buy a Portable DVD Player - but the Archos AV700 is much better as I won't have to carry around all those DVDs with me now.

Its good as it can fit in your pocket and even in ladies handbags - my mum was impressed with it as we watched Transporter 1 and 2 on the TV via it. She wanted me to buy one for her, then she heard the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, fab price, super quick delivery, 7 Dec. 2007
J. Berry - See all my reviews
I placed the order Thursday evening and by Tuesday evening DHL had delivered the Archos - amazing. Well done Avides. I originally wanted this to use in my VW van but now use it in the house. It's a top quality product - I'm loading my DVD collection on in stages - and it's brill to be able to set the schedule function to record from Sky while I'm out or in bed. I've also recorded programmes off my sky plus hard drive - it's going to be amazing for films over Christmas! It comes with black protective case and adaptors to be able to charge in UK, USA and Europe. The pod works brilliantly for download and charging. Next step is to load on the holiday snaps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Nov. 2007
Ms. K. L. Wright "Katy" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
I use mine through my Sky box. I download programmes to save space on the sky plus. I set it up to download overnight. I can then watch at any time. I have taken my AV700 on holiday, great on coach journeys. With kids you can take download some of their favourite programmes to entertain them even if the local tv isn't in english. Useful to watch when others have claimed the tv control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, long service., 24 Nov. 2014
Great. Still going strong in Nov 2014.