5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
I dont agree with the other reviewer.
Yep, this album does sound different to the others. There are no real slow-burners like on previous work. This is an all out loud rock album.
It's got some CLASSIC tracks! 'Nowhere To Go But Home' with it's Cure or Hooky (from Joy Division) bass-sounding guitar riff!
'Tonight' with it's Black Rebel Motorcycle Club...
Published on 24 Aug 2006 by ozzamozza

3.0 out of 5 stars Bassless theory
Published on 9 Jun 2005 by Cliffy Biro

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Aug 2006
This review is from: Artists Cannibals Poets Thieves (Audio CD)
I dont agree with the other reviewer.
'Tonight' with it's Black Rebel Motorcycle Club sound, only better than they could do.

This is an album that needs to be played LOUD!
Buy it and make your ears bleed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bassless theory, 9 Jun 2005
This review is from: Artists Cannibals Poets Thieves (Audio CD)
There are some bands on whom I rely, there are some bands on whom I don't. For example, I didn't expect all that much from Bloc Party or Arcade Fire or The Yards and yet they have produced my favourite three albums of 2005 so far. I relied on Doves, Coldplay and Six By Seven to produce good, solid albums that I could play at any time, anywhere, in any mood. They, along with Queens of the Stone Age, have produced the most disappointing albums of 2005 so far. It's a real shame to have to include Six By Seven in that short list. They've put out some superb albums to date, The Closer You Get is one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years, The Things We Make one of the most assured debuts of recent times. Live, Six By Seven are thrillingly corruscating, loud enough to make your ears ring for weeks afterwards, beautiful enough to have you in tears. Last year's ":04" was a storming return to form after the slightly unsatisfying "The Way I Feel Today" which just wasn't up its predecessors' standards in terms of songwriting, but considering the problems that Chris Olley's outfit had to endure (people leaving, being dropped, that kind of thing), it was more than adequate.
The weaknesses of "Artists Cannibals Poets Thieves" are less easy to explain. 'This album contains no bass guitar' says the cover, which is nice to know, but the warning was incomplete. The words 'or discernible tunes' has been missed off the end. I've played it five times now and all the songs kind of sound the same, save the last one, which doesn't, but is the worse for it, perversely. This year's cast-offs collection, "Left Luggage..." is more cohesive, and sounds more like an album than this, which sounds more like a collection of discarded songs with one of the worst covers I've seen in years (not the black one you can see on Amazon, that's a slip case. The cover underneath that has some knobs from a mixing desk on it with B*LLS, T*TS and ASS, all turned up to the max).
3 stars because there are some decent hooks, some typically powerful guitar and some perfectly acceptable keyboard work, but that's not really enough for a Six By Seven album. Not for me, anyway.

Artists Cannibals Poets Thieves
Artists Cannibals Poets Thieves by Six By Seven (Audio CD - 2009)