Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 September 2006
This was always my favourite Gen X album due to Tony James' fantastic bass-lines and here it is re-released on CD. This time it comes with some bonus and live tracks too. In addition, there is now a short essay included and some nice period colour photos of the band. To my ear it also seems to have been remastered; it's certainly louder and clearer than the original CD issue (no credits to prove this though). Also, the annoying 'Featuring Billy Idol' epithet has now been removed - a pity this wasn't done with the previous 2 re-releases.

I do however, have to agree with Tony B, the previous reviewer, in that 'Ugly Rash' should have been included, but thank EMI that they didn't release this on a digipak. Many of us collectors HATE digipaks! I don't so much mind that 'New Order' etc aren't included, because they are after all, available on the great 'Perfect Hits' CD. Also, I'm pretty sure the live tracks are available elsewhere?

An unforgivable error though, is the sloppy spelling and bad grammar on the liner notes. Doesn't anyone proof-read anything nowadays? If EMI can't afford one, I'll happily provide my services!

So, 4 out of 5. Great sound quality, good packaging, nice liner notes and pictures. Shocking grammar. EMI, if you're listening, improve your game!
on 14 November 2009
Despite their 'punk' label, Generation X were actually capable of writing some pretty well structured and even quite moving songs. 'Kiss Me Deadly' contains a couple of songs that could even be described as ballads, although the majority of the songs are mid-tempo, solid rock songs. The drums and bass guitar are very solid throughout (albeit rather 'simple') the album and make a great platform for the guitar work of Steve Jones (ex-Sex Pistol), amongst others. Billy Idol's voice is utterly unmistakeable, as always, and had matured quite nicely by the time that Gen X recorded this album.

When I bought this LP, back in the early '80s, I remember feeling disappointed that it wasn't full of up-tempo, aggresive numbers like "King Rocker". It wasn't until I got older that I began to appreciate the ablum for what it is (rather than what it was not). Now (that I'm very old), I really rate it as one of the most listenable albums of it's type. The tunes are nearly all very catchy and the production is very tidy, without being overly glossy.

Fans of Billy Idol would almost certainly enjoy this album, as it has a similar feel to some of his solo work, although those who are after a more raw, punk/thrash experience should probably steer clear.
on 5 August 2005
Great neglected album.Not their best,but the songs sound better now than when they were released originally.
Downside: EMI should've included the b-side of 'Dancing With Myself' entitled 'Ugly Rash' ('Ugly Dub' is there,but not 'Ugly Rash'- Why?),the LP out-takes:'Rock On'(from the 'Generation X 4' EP) and 'New Order(s)'(only available on 'Perfect Hits' Compilation).
And leave off the live tracks.Its not a live album!
I'm sad,i know,but its people like me that buy this stuff.I am a massive Gen X fan and if i'm moaning,then somethings wrong.Maybe next time,a digipack with these ammendments to the track listing.
Good innit,amazon. Years ago you wouldn't have been able to do this!