4.0 out of 5 stars Indian Summer / Autumn Leaves, 6 July 2005
This review is from: Nolita (Audio CD)
Two / three weeks ago, more or less as the same time of this album's release in the UK, I heard the song 'La Forme et la Fond' in the radio. The DJ didn't say who sings it, but I knew it could well be Keren Ann, just from what I previously read about her. It turned out that I was right, and this incredible song - that starts with a bass riff that follows a similar chord sequence to the one in Jane Birkin's 'Jane B' and turns, in the chorus, into this beautiful 'end of a French Film' melancholic melody - is track on the album.
Funnily enough, that's probably the only song in this LP that really follows the way I perceived Ann. It's also the only one without the acoustic guitar that dominates the album. The Times gave `Nolita' five stars and categorized it under Singer/Songwriter. I think that the songs in French, which are clearly influenced by Air, Serge Gainsbourg and Francoise Hardy, deserve that mark, but the ones in English work for me best when they sound more like The Velvet Underground ('Chelsea Burns' and 'Nolita') then an improved version of Beth Orton, Kathryn Williams, Dido or other female singer/songwriters.
I think Ann's strength lies in her ability to be a lot more flexible than the 'every song sounds the same' thread of her female counterparts. The last song 'Song of Alice' proves it, when she just does backing vocals and leaves the microphone to a guest male singer (Sean Gullett).
A perfect autumn album that I'm sure will spin on my stereo even more come October-November. Just listen to 'La Forme et le Fond' and 'L'Onde Amere' and you'll be hooked too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and brilliant - in places, 12 April 2007
Apple-eater "Severn Boy" (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nolita (Audio CD)
The best songs are great, and this singer really deserves to be better known.

Her voice is superb in English and in French, but I'd say the French language songs are where her talent shines brightest.

There's a warmth and depth to her voice which I find wonderful, but some of the song writing is a bit below par. Still, the good tracks, like Que n'ai-je, La forme et le fond, are well worth buying the CD for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another example of the fine music of the French, 22 Mar 2006
Luke Marson (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nolita (Audio CD)
I have the pleasure of putting together the CDs for WORD magazine.
This is where I first heard Keren Ann. A delightful voice and superbly written songs, this album is crafted for the ear of the cultured music fan.
With beautiful lyrics, a lovely voice and complex melodies, this folk-esque album delivers a number of wonderful and easy listenable songs.
Recommended to anyone and everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complex and rewarding, 6 Sep 2005
Christopher Hunter "cjhunter2001uk" (Farnham UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nolita (Audio CD)
I first picked this up thinking I'd be getting an even quieter bi-lingual Norah Jones or Kathryn Williams. Nothing of the sort really. Yes, the music is largely quiet and contemplative but the song structures are pretty complex with a lot more going on in instrumentation and rhythm then first listening exposes.
The album is a grower with some interesting lyrics. Can't say my French is up too much, but those tracks in French sound even more languidly sensuous than the English ones.
Well worth hearing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to categorize, 4 Oct 2005
This review is from: Nolita (Audio CD)
Musically closer to Mazzy Star than anything else I guess, which I probably why I like it.
Gentle & dreamy folky, country, with electronica and a touch of trip hop.
Classy in its own way, but dont expect to be uplifted.

Nolita
Nolita by Keren Ann (Audio CD - 2005)