Format: DVD|Change

on 20 February 2006
Oh wow, this is the best! This is a *great* movie - it's adorable from start to finish. It has the lovable Pooh gang, all playing true to character, and the elusive "Heffalumps" from the book are brought into film reality in classic Disney fashion.
The gang hunt for "scary" Heffalumps in the woods, but Roo is not allowed to join in as he is too young. So Roo goes it alone and finds the baby heffalump, Lumpy, who has the cutest voice you ever heard. They make friends and show the rest of the gang that Heffalumps are not to be feared. The strong anti-racist message doesn't distract from the adorable, hilarious friendship that forms between Roo and Lumpy (especially when they play in Rabbit's precious garden!) And all to the best Carly Simon soundtrack. Go Carly.
Watch your children beam with pleasure all the way through the film, and then when the toddlers want to watch it over and over (and over) again, you can chill out to the great music.
This is a fab film.
on 13 February 2006
I have always been a fan of the Winnie the Pooh stories and films, and as soon as I saw how cute Lumpy the heffalump was, I HAD to buy this DVD. I wasn't dissapointed. The film was great, and very touching. Lumpy's voice was great, as another reviewer said, his giggle was great. I am 18, and I loved this, as did my mother, and my little siter. Great film for all the family, with a lovely message at the end.
on 5 May 2009
I'm 18, almost 19, I don't have any children and I bought this movie for myself (just to make things clear)! I love this movie so much; it's got a good storyline for a childrens movie and has a good message to get across for children (and for adults actually: there are plenty I've met that need to take this movie's message into account more often). I found myself really getting into the movie and also found myself singing along the second time I watched it (and the times after that).

Lumpy the Heffalump is a very lovable character (I certainly love him), and the voice actor playing him really does the job well (he's so cute too). It was also nice to see Roo get more attention for a change and Disney chose a good character to pair with Lumpy.

The movie is about 65 minutes long if I can remember correctly, and I personally find that it is 65 minutes of fun for children, and some older people/adults to watch together (I've made my boyfriend watch it twice and even he likes it)!

All in all, a very enjoyable movie for the family (or yourself)!
on 17 March 2009
We recorded this on Sky+ a few months ago but have now bought the DVD in order to get a better quality copy. Given the barrage of kids shows out there on satellite TV, that I felt the need to single this out with the honour of an individual purchase is significant.

To say this is my 2 year old Daughter's favourite movie would be a vast understatement, she watches or asks to watch this every morning and evening and seems to love it each time as much as the first.

From an adult's point of view and the all-important can-I-stand-to-watch-this-10000-times test it is actually pretty bearable. The animation is very good, definitely a notch above most other movies of its type even the other Winnie the Pooh ones.
While I find the Carly Simon songs on the soundtrack a bit cringe-worthy they are very well produced and absolutely appropriate for the movie, storyline and target age group. The voice acting is top notch and the lip-synching is always convincing.

The storyline is very basic, little Roo goes out on a heffalump hunt, actually finds a heffalump, befriends him and teaches all the others a lesson in friendship and acceptance. However it does deal with themes that even the smallest children can identify with (friendship and losing/finding one's mother) which makes the inevitable happy ending much more rewarding.

Citizen Kane it ain't but what it sets out to do it achieves admirably and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to any parent of toddlers or small children.

Most of all though it isn't Dora the Explorer and therefore I don't get the urge to break the TV.
on 21 March 2009
This is a great film which I can watch together with my 20 month old son. He loves the elephant and he loves making elephant noises but most of all he loves anything to do with Winnie the Pooh. The songs are good, written by Carly Simon. The subject matter is most intriguing it's really high-level staff covering subjects as deep as war, racism, fear and the usual Winnie the Pooh subjects of love and friendship. I can recommend this DVD thoroughly and so would my son if he could talk.
on 19 December 2009
When we first got Sky+, we recorded this for my 3 year old daughter, and then unfortunately our box developed a fault, and had to be wiped! All I was worried about was losing this movie (never mind my husband's entire series of 24!!). My daughter never tires of it, and it's interesting to see - over the year that she has watched it - how she is now able to express her opinions about it, and verbalise how the characters are feeling.

When Roo discovers Lumpy for the first time, my daughter's giggles were a joy to hear. She is absorbed in this film from start to finish every single time. I love Carly Simon's music, and bought the CD which we listen to as a family at bathtime.

Now I have a son too, and - whilst he hasn't got the stamina to sit through the whole film - he enjoys the animation. There are a lot of CGI animated programmes on now, including 'My Friends Tigger and Pooh' on Playhouse Disney, but there is something charming about this original animation that just can't be captured in the more modern programmes.

I agree with the reviewer who said that watching this film was an encouraging break from daytime children's programmes, which get terribly repetitive at times. I've had my fill of Cbeebies!

We have all the original Winnie the Pooh films on video (a family favourite is the 'Tigger movie' - rarely shown anywhere), and are going to buy them all on DVD for our children's collection. Great themes, lovely pace, gentle dialogue and lovable characters make these films winners in our household. The perfect length film too. I'm so impressed that teenagers are writing reviews on here, and have bought the film for themselves. It shows how Winnie the Pooh truly touches every generation, and long may it continue.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 July 2013
I purchased this dvd for my son who loves Winnie the Pooh. The film is primarily about Roo, who wants to go on an expedition with the others to locate the Heffalumps (who they think they need to capture). The others do not want Roo to come with because they think hes too little, so Roo goes off on his own mission (while the others are out as well). He comes across Lumpy and finds that Heffalumps aren't how Rabbit says they are and are not scary creatures. The film is primarily about Roo and Lumpy, but Tigger, Pooh, Piglet, Rabbit and to a lesser extent Eeyore and Kanga make appearances. Owl & Christopher Robin do not appear (but CR is in the ending credits meeting Lumpy). There is a nice selection of songs throughout the film and is very typical in being a drawn cartoon. It does not have a narrator as is common in most Winnie the Pooh Films. There are light references to A.A. Milnes Winnie the Pooh Stories, mainly in the end credits. Heffalumps and Woozles as any classic Winnie the Pooh fan would know are notorious for stealing Hunny and feared throughout the hundred acre woods. The story is nice, not too long and although it is not a classic story, it has good messages in it for kids. My son loves it though. Recommended to any Winnie the Pooh Fan!
on 16 September 2009
The animation is sweet and oldy worldy (this is a plus point) and not too slick. My nephew felt sorry for poor eeyore having to carry everything and delighted in piglet and the heffalump playing about. As a rule he likes something that is faster paced but anything Winnie the Poo has him sitting down absorbed. Lovely film.
on 6 April 2009
My 2 year old daughter loves this film and all the characters. It's not a chore to watch it with her either: it's gorgeous and a nice bit of Carly Simon to go along with it too. A real hit, time and time again
on 6 October 2010
Was very pleased with the Quick response and delivery of the dvd ordered. Was of excellent quality. And would definitely recommend the use of this service to anyone. I shall of course be using again.