I lost the lens cap of my Nikon AF-S 24-70mm/2.8G ED in a cave. Rather than relying on the lens hood, I was foolishly trying to replace the cap onto the lens, when, knocked out of my hand, it went rattling into an underground stream and is now doubtless part of the future archaeology of the site. Fortunately I had a spare with me, purloined from another lens a few days before. As soon as we got back, I ordered one of these, which was delivered efficiently the next day.

This cap has three basic characteristics:
* robust
* spring-clip type
* Nikon logo on the front

You may or may not want the Nikon logo on the front, though if you ever intend to resell the lens, this will affect the value. I do have an unbranded cap on one of my lenses, but, given the choice, I'm happy enough to keep the Nikon branding going.

The spring-clip construction, in my opinion, is much better than other types. Spring-clip is much better than push on if the springs are strong enough, and, over the course of ten years with Nikon and more lenses than years, I've never found any of the springs to become soft.

Finally, the design of the cap gives it more protection against shocks from the front than the simple flat plastic types which off-brand replacements often are.

This is a 77mm cap, which means it goes on lenses like the 70-200 f/2.8, the 80-200 f/2.8 and the 24-70 f/2.8. These are expensive lenses. Unless there is a particular reason why you don't want people to know you are shooting Nikon (for example, to limit the chances of theft -- a little), then replacing a lost Nikon cap with this makes far more sense than trying to save a couple of quid. And, if you're going anywhere where the lens is in danger and the cap is as well, it may just be worth your while to carry a spare.
on 20 February 2013
Well, it's just a lens cap... much as I expect... they're all terribly designed... difficult to click on... falls off too easily when knocked.... and this one works as badly as all the others. But Nikon are the only ones I ever use... so who knows, maybe it's just a Nikon thing!
on 20 November 2009
My new Tokina lens is wonderful, but the good 77mm cap can easily slip out of your fingers, so buy the Nikon 77mm cap. You won't get frustrated or drop it down a drain. Leave the Tokina cap in the box. Also other similar lenses do not have such good caps as the Nikon.
on 18 June 2013
Good replacement for lost lense cap. Fit well, what more can one say - it does the job it is meant to do.
on 27 March 2014
No comment necessary. I needed one at a good price and this was it.
on 7 August 2009
If you lose one of these then as expensive as they are, you're going to need another one. It's cheaper than replacing your entire lens when it gets scratched to death from being unprotected in your bag!

These are also good for replacing the old style Sigma lens caps if you have them as the old style Sigma lens caps are near impossible to get on or off with a lens hood fitted. These are much better!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse