The Trio Sonata in C17th France
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£15.12+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I have been gradually accumulating London Baroque's Trio Sonata series (up to eight volumes so far), and have enjoyed every one of them. London Baroque are a superb quartet who have been making excellent recordings for over 30 years now and I think this series is among their best work. They play with effortless virtuosity, an obvious deep understanding of the music and a real delight in it, and a wonderful empathy with each other. It's exemplary chamber playing which really brings these pieces to life.

This disc, recorded in 2004, features sonatas by Lully, both Couperins (Louis and Francois), Marais and Rebel along with the somewhat less well-known Clérambault, le Roux and Geoffroy. They are all very good and I really enjoy hearing more obscure music mixed in with better-known stuff. There is a wide variety of moods, all beautifully brought out by the performances, and the disc is a pleasure from beginning to end.

The sound quality and balance by BIS is excellent and the presentation and notes are very good too. I warmly recommend this, along with all the others in this series. It is a genuine treat.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 30 November 2014
To anyone wishing to learn a bit more about the Trio-Sonatas written by French composers, look no further than this collection.
I use it as inspiration and guidance on an almost daily basis. It has also lead me to obtaining various sheet scores with which to follow the live performances on each track and so suitably educate myself a little more in this genre. I cannot bestow too much praise for the ensemble who recorded it. Wonderful!
Alistair JW Kewish (Mr)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again