4.0 out of 5 stars Warriors Code
Published on 22 July 2005 by Mark C

2.0 out of 5 stars Surprise!
I bought this because I heard "Fields of France" and loved it. What a surprise to find that that particular song is the only one of it's kind on the CD and the rest is hardcore. Hmmmm......
Published 13 months ago by Spidey

4.0 out of 5 stars Warriors Code, 22 July 2005
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (Audio CD)
How often do you listen to an album for the first time and like it? Usually the first thought is, if you're anything like me, "Not sure about that?" The comparsion to previous and familiar albums is made and it takes a playing or two for the new one to grow on you. Not so with the DMs, it's instant grin from ear to ear, foot stomping and a chuckle of pure pleasure as soon as the CD is spinning. As always I go straight for the trad. arr. songs before listening to anything else. I have about six versions of the legendary Eric Bogle's Green Fields of France from The Men They Couldn't Hang to The Furey's and June Tabor. All very diverse. The DMs have treated it with the respect it deserves, just slightly upping the tempo, which isn't a bad thing. It is also done superbly and demonstrates the range the band have. Having bagpipes on so many tracks I found it a bit of a wasted opportunity that they didn't stick Flowers Of The Forest on the end mind. Auld Triangle enters the ranks of Black Velvet Band, Rocky Road To Dublin, Fields of Athenry, et al. Those old slow favourites that have been heard once too often over the years and become stale. The DMs give them a complete re-working and energy that, I for one, will not tire of for many years to come, if ever hopefully. Captain Kelly's Kitchen is a traditional song I have never heard and I thought I'd heard them all, so it's good that there are a few surprises in there.
The rest of the album is the usual mix of styles. The obligatory straight punk/rock tracks, one or two of which will no doubt be the single(s) for general consumption and to get them on Kerrang. But my view is biased towards the folk and to be fair they have stuck out the odd trad. single. I think there is something there for anyone who likes their music fast and furious. The Burden reminded me of The latter Clash stuff, or maybe more Big Audio Dynamite and Sunshine Highway put me in mind of the overall style of The Pogues' Hells Ditch album. Wicked Sensitive Crew has to be my favourite new original song, a good tune, healthy attitude and the usual humour. Tessie, the title track of an earlier EP, is on as a bonus track.
So, all in all, probably not my favourite album for consistency; that would have to go jointly to Sing Loud Sing Proud and Blackout, the two albums I'd recommend to newcomers. The few misses I found too bland and if it wasn't for the fact that the hit's were double whammys I'd worry the band were running short on ideas or catering to a more specific sector. If anything like mine, I'm sure the kids will like Citizen CIA and similar tracks. That particular track put me in mind of Dead Kennedys and the like and much of the DMs first album Do Or Die. I've made alot of comparisons to other bands' styles, which is a little unfair as the DMs are, for me, the best and most original band to come along in a long long time. Hope they do many more and I thank them for hours of listening pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat the DKM's, 29 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (Audio CD)
This latest offering from the DKMs will not disappoint die hard fans and if you're just getting in to them, buy this CD or 'Sing Loud, Sing Proud'.
It comprises the usual mixture of their own songs, covers and traditional songs given the DKM treatment.
Standout tracks are 'Sunshine Highway' which is what my Mum would call 'catchy', although bizarrely it reminds me of the classic 'Freelove Highway' as sung by David Brent in 'The Office'! You be the judge.
The poignant 'Green Fields of France' proves that Al Barr is a hugely versatile singer.
'I'm Shipping Up to Boston' has the feel of a traditional Irish pub song, complete with accordion and banjo - I defy you not to tap your toes to it.
The Warriors Code is your typical Dropkick Murphys album, but if it ain't broke, why fix it? I think that this ranks up with 'Sing Loud, Sing Proud' as the DKMs best.
Don't miss the opportunity to see them live - they will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great DKM CD, 23 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (Audio CD)
DKM seem to have really found their niche in recent records expanding on the street punk 'n' roll that got them noticed and seeming more and more inspired by their roots. This record contains some great tracks - a stirring 'Green Fields of France', the unfeasibly catchy 'Sunshine Highway' and the emotive 'Last Letter Home'.
Whilst I wouldn't necessarily recommend to first time listeners of the band as their first purchase (try one or all of 'Do or Die', 'Blackout', 'Sing Loud, Sing Proud', or the excellent 'Live On St Patricks Day')this is a quality release from a band that continues to inspire, motivate and improve with each release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warriors Code, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (Audio CD)
another must have album from the Dropkick Murphy's for any fan of theirs - excellent addition to the back catalogue

5.0 out of 5 stars ace, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (Audio CD)
great hardcore tracks that get you bopping away every time i love the dropkicks ass they have a unique style was very worh buying

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Crossover Irish and Rock Music, 4 Jun 2013
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (MP3 Download)
This is the third Dropkick Murphy's record that I've bought and it's definitely the best so far. The music is crossover Irish mixed with hard rock done American style and it's great fun. I would imagine a good night in the pub with this on would be a real bouncy affair as the music wants to make you get up and jump around - a lot. If I was to compare it to another band I'd have to say you should think a noisier louder harder Pogues and you won't go to far wrong.

Overall a great fun record especially when working out in the gym. The frenetic pace sort of keeps you going if that makes sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Murphys at there best, 13 Mar 2013
B. Gravett "Book Man" (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (Audio CD)
Warriors code is a fast paced bundle of what the Murphys do best, make you stamp ur feet and raise your fists while singing along. If you are unsure wether to buy this album or not let me make it simple..... DO IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (Audio CD)
I first heard the Dropkick Murphy's "Tripping up to Boston" on the movie The Departed. It was such a powerful track I wanted to hear more so I bought this and Sing Loud, Sing Proud. Love both albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtle they are not but they hit the mark, 17 Oct 2012
G. Mott (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (Audio CD)
Not a band I had heard before, bought on the basis of the Shipping up to Boston which featured in the film The Departed. It is a fairly typical track, full on Irish/ punk. Lots of pretty obvious references, very "early Clash", and not exactly subtle but fun. Some good pump up tracks, quite a few or which are used by US sports teams, especially those with Irish heritage.

5.0 out of 5 stars dkms, 24 April 2012
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (Audio CD)
fantastic stuff from the dkms, from the 1st to the last song it is excellent. it just sounds better every time you play. fantastic.

The Warrior's Code
The Warrior's Code by Dropkick Murphys (Audio CD - 2005)
Click for more info