Size: 52mmChange

on 12 October 2012
Ignore what the experts say about filters over the lens. If you are going for the money shot, or studio work then take it off at the crucial moment.
Otherwise leave it on, these virtually invisible (genuine Hoya Pro) filters will give you peace of mind and also allow you to keep shooting when the air gets 'dirty'. So, thats going to be anywhere near the sea, children, pets and in the cut and thrust of weddings. Champagne, even Grand Cru will destroy the air/glass coating for good.
I have them fitted all the time when out and about on two pieces of very expensive glass. I have never been one for on and off with the lens cap. Check your lens for smudges after fumbling with the cap.
The Pro filters are less deep than most so you can use on a 15-20 mm (full frame) without vignetting.

Take care with the coating when cleaning, use only fresh non lint and a 50/50 iso prop liquid. Anything else will smear forever. A good indication that these are the real thing. Other cheap 'coated' filters will clean fairly easily with a wet cloth.

Great service from these guys, never disappointed. Makes me laugh sometimes when they give a me delivery lead time of 7-8 days and it turns up the next day.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2009
I recently invested in a Canon L series lens, splashed out a lot of dosh for it so natually felt complelled to protect the front element (as you do). However I found myself in a paradoxical situation where after investing in some serious glass, I was going to demean it's performance by placing a piece of "cheap" glass on the front. Common sense prevailed because I went ahead and bought this filter simply to protect my investment, and it didn't effect my results in any way whatsoever!
Fully reccomend it!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 January 2012
This is a good quality filter, at a very reasonable price.

Having spent a lot of money on a new lens/camera, the first thing you really want to do is to get a protector filter. It's true that there is a debate by enthusiasts as to putting a comparatively cheap piece of glass in front of an expensive lens. That's why you go for the best you can afford.

To me, there seemed little reason going for something more expensive than this. It's a case of diminishing returns. My old Nikon 50mm lens was quite recessed, and didn't require much protection, but having bought the Nikon 35mm f1.8, the glass is quite close to the front. Perfect for knocks, scratches and finger prints!

I tried taking some sample pictures with and without the filter, and to be honest, even at pixel level I was struggling to find any difference. The colour rendition was identical, and I didn't notice any flare or C.A.

This is quite a slim filter, so didn't show any vignetting. Obviously if you add more filters on top of this, you'll get to the point where you do though! If you're going to be using a polarizing filter all day, take this off and leave that on.

Similarly, if you're worried about the quality for those 'special' pictures, take it off for the duration. A protector is more for those 'quickly get the camera out of the bag' or 'strolling around' shots anyhow. You wouldn't use it in a studio!

The glass is clear and doesn't rattle in the metal frame. Threads are smooth and the whole thing is quite light.

Hoya have a good reputation, and for good reason.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I use both Nikon and Hoya protection filters on my Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 lenses and I can't tell them apart picture quality wise so the Hoya is definitely worth the money. It has a negligible effect on the picture quality (I am a retired pro photographer so I do know how to assess lenses) and the peace of mind given by using the filters far outweighs any loss of picture quality issues.
on 28 May 2010
Bought this to go on my new Sigma 10-20mm. The front element is quite large and also bulges out because of the wide angle of the lens. It is alot cheaper to replace a filter if you scratch it rather than the front of the lens.

Went with the Hoya Pro range as they are very thin which is what I needed for a wide angle lens to reduce vignetting. This is a quality filter, the ring is made from a metal so has a bit of weight to it which adds to its solid construction. The filter is so clear that when I removed it from the case and held it up, i honestly thought there was no glass in it, it looks as though you could put your finger through as there were no reflections. marks or dust on it.

I originally was going to buy the Hoya Pro UV filter, not because its a UV filter but just to protect the lens. Then I saw this one which was under half the price of the UV filter so snapped it up straight away. Highly recommended to protect your expensive lens.
on 25 September 2012
I purchased this protective filter for my Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens. This filter is perfectly clear and gives protection without interfering with the light in any way. Vignetting was a worry for me due to the wide angle of view but it caused no problems at all. Hoya was my choice over 4 protective lenses now and I don't wish to change this in the near future. Highly recommended!
on 6 June 2010
I have these Hoya lens protectors on all my lenses, they are clear, so there is no colour cast and in all but the most extreme case of facing the sun, flare is well controlled.
They also have 3mm rims which helps greatly in avoiding vignetting on wide zoom lenses.
on 13 September 2014
A fair price for useful protection. Some other makes/outlets seem to charge the earth for these and some are dirt cheap. I think it is important to have multi-coating and a trusted brand if the lens is not going to be unnecessarily degraded so I found this one to be the ideal compromise. I also needed a filter that was as low profile as possible as I had limited space between lens and fitted lens hood (JVC HM600 camcorder) so this was ideal as it only adds 4mm.
The outer ring has a nice deep knurled grip to ease removal but there is no thread provided for 'stacking' of further filters in front. Not an issue for me but most filters I have used do have this so may be expected by others.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Having just splashed out on a digital SLR (the Nikon d3100) a filter to protect the front lens element was essential. In the old days of 35mm film, a UV filter was always the preferred option but as digital cameras are not as sensitive to UV as film, a clear filter is perfectly adequate. This filter is perfect for the job - the coatings prevent any reflections or ghosting; there was no discernable difference on taking a picture of the moon on a clear night with and without the filter. You'd never know it was there, which is the whole point, and you can rest easy knowing that your precious glassware is properly protected.
VINE VOICEon 11 January 2015
I use these on my expensive lenses to protect the front element.
They are well built and the threads are a perfect fit and easy to fit and remove if needed.
Optically they have no impact that I've ever been able to identify. For DSLR's I would recommend these over UV filters as in general UV protection is built into the sensor so it's not needed on the filter.
I'd happily recommend these for anyone wanting to protect their newly purchased lens.