5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya Pro1 Digital Protector Filter
Published on 2 Oct 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE: This is NOT a Hoya Filter
I ordered this from Amazon Warehouse Deals and received a generic filter branded as "Filter Filter" across it... I opened the package to check whether it was in an OEM box but it was just marked "filter 62mm"

To be fair amazon has agreed to a full refund including the 1 day delivery.

One star rating for wasting my time and middling...
Published 2 months ago by Wilkes

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya Pro1 Digital Protector Filter, 2 Oct 2009
A Kid's Review
I recently invested in a Canon L series lens, splashed out a lot of dosh for it so natually felt complelled to protect the front element (as you do). However I found myself in a paradoxical situation where after investing in some serious glass, I was going to demean it's performance by placing a piece of "cheap" glass on the front. Common sense prevailed because I went ahead and bought this filter simply to protect my investment, and it didn't effect my results in any way whatsoever!
Fully reccomend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars So clear you don't know it's there, 12 Jan 2012
M. Babb - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hoya 52mm Pro-1 Digital Protector Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
This is a good quality filter, at a very reasonable price.

Having spent a lot of money on a new lens/camera, the first thing you really want to do is to get a protector filter. It's true that there is a debate by enthusiasts as to putting a comparatively cheap piece of glass in front of an expensive lens. That's why you go for the best you can afford.

To me, there seemed little reason going for something more expensive than this. It's a case of diminishing returns. My old Nikon 50mm lens was quite recessed, and didn't require much protection, but having bought the Nikon 35mm f1.8, the glass is quite close to the front. Perfect for knocks, scratches and finger prints!

I tried taking some sample pictures with and without the filter, and to be honest, even at pixel level I was struggling to find any difference. The colour rendition was identical, and I didn't notice any flare or C.A.

This is quite a slim filter, so didn't show any vignetting. Obviously if you add more filters on top of this, you'll get to the point where you do though! If you're going to be using a polarizing filter all day, take this off and leave that on.

Similarly, if you're worried about the quality for those 'special' pictures, take it off for the duration. A protector is more for those 'quickly get the camera out of the bag' or 'strolling around' shots anyhow. You wouldn't use it in a studio!

The glass is clear and doesn't rattle in the metal frame. Threads are smooth and the whole thing is quite light.

Hoya have a good reputation, and for good reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well do you feel lucky, punk?, 12 Oct 2012
Ignore what the experts say about filters over the lens. If you are going for the money shot, or studio work then take it off at the crucial moment.
Otherwise leave it on, these virtually invisible (genuine Hoya Pro) filters will give you peace of mind and also allow you to keep shooting when the air gets 'dirty'. So, thats going to be anywhere near the sea, children, pets and in the cut and thrust of weddings. Champagne, even Grand Cru will destroy the air/glass coating for good.
I have them fitted all the time when out and about on two pieces of very expensive glass. I have never been one for on and off with the lens cap. Check your lens for smudges after fumbling with the cap.
The Pro filters are less deep than most so you can use on a 15-20 mm (full frame) without vignetting.

Take care with the coating when cleaning, use only fresh non lint and a 50/50 iso prop liquid. Anything else will smear forever. A good indication that these are the real thing. Other cheap 'coated' filters will clean fairly easily with a wet cloth.

Great service from these guys, never disappointed. Makes me laugh sometimes when they give a me delivery lead time of 7-8 days and it turns up the next day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, 28 May 2010
Bought this to go on my new Sigma 10-20mm. The front element is quite large and also bulges out because of the wide angle of the lens. It is alot cheaper to replace a filter if you scratch it rather than the front of the lens.

Went with the Hoya Pro range as they are very thin which is what I needed for a wide angle lens to reduce vignetting. This is a quality filter, the ring is made from a metal so has a bit of weight to it which adds to its solid construction. The filter is so clear that when I removed it from the case and held it up, i honestly thought there was no glass in it, it looks as though you could put your finger through as there were no reflections. marks or dust on it.

I originally was going to buy the Hoya Pro UV filter, not because its a UV filter but just to protect the lens. Then I saw this one which was under half the price of the UV filter so snapped it up straight away. Highly recommended to protect your expensive lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of Mind, 30 Oct 2012
I use both Nikon and Hoya protection filters on my Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 lenses and I can't tell them apart picture quality wise so the Hoya is definitely worth the money. It has a negligible effect on the picture quality (I am a retired pro photographer so I do know how to assess lenses) and the peace of mind given by using the filters far outweighs any loss of picture quality issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya 77mm Pro 1 Digital protector filter, 25 Sep 2012
I purchased this protective filter for my Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens. This filter is perfectly clear and gives protection without interfering with the light in any way. Vignetting was a worry for me due to the wide angle of view but it caused no problems at all. Hoya was my choice over 4 protective lenses now and I don't wish to change this in the near future. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 5 Sep 2008
The glass is so clear on this filter that I thought they'd forgotten to include it!!

Good value, protects your lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Lens Protector Filter., 21 Sep 2012
I purchased two of these Lens Protectors for my Canon L series Lenses, after reading mixed reviews on the Web I decided that the only way to find out the truth would be to purchase and try. I can honestly say that after running extensive tests, in brief camera on tripod, different modes, different lighting and various distances on close examination I couldn't see any difference.As for difficulty in cleaning these filters I just don't know what the hell some people put on there filters to cause such problems, I'm forever crashing through bushes after birds(feathered)and getting green stuff and mud on the filters(that's why they're on the front of the expensive lens)plus you always get finger marks, when this happens it's just takes a quick puff of breath and a hanky and they're clean again, after all this is just a piece of cystal clear toughened glass and worth every penny spent to protect your expensive lens.Don't settle for a cheaper alternative,delivery and packaging were first class.Hope this helps,Regards DJ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly does the job., 6 Jun 2010
K. Taylor "Keith" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have these Hoya lens protectors on all my lenses, they are clear, so there is no colour cast and in all but the most extreme case of facing the sun, flare is well controlled.
They also have 3mm rims which helps greatly in avoiding vignetting on wide zoom lenses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoya 77mm Pro1 Digital Protector Filter, 6 May 2010
R. TURNER - See all my reviews
The filter's glass is very clear and the mount is nice and slim. The only real problem with the filter is that the glass smudges very easily and is very difficult to clean. The small smudges left behind seem to have very very little impact on the image quality.

ARRAY(0x9cf1cab0)