5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it just for track 12
Superb album all the way through. Warm intimate sound and not a bad track in sight. "Rainy night in Georgia" ("Track 12" on the sleeve or "Untitled" as Gracenote CDDB would have it) is the simply the best version of that song you will ever here.
Published on 18 Jan. 2006 by S. Malbon

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip Off - Hope You Don't Plan To Listen to This On An iPod
Published on 25 Jun. 2005 by Wyatt Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it just for track 12, 18 Jan. 2006
S. Malbon "SteveM" (Stone, Staffordshire Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suit Yourself (Audio CD)
As far as copy protection is concerned, well my copy of the album isn't protected at all. I bought mine from a CD store in a Florida shopping mall.It's been in my MP3 continuously for the last 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the 5-star reviews below, 1 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Suit Yourself (Audio CD)
I Am Shelby Lynne is one of my all-time favourites. I bought the follow-up Love, Shelby was thoroughly disappointed with that over-produced album, thought back to her Nashville mainstream routes. "I Am" must have been that Bill Bottrell (producer) was the real creator of that brilliant album (as he was of Sheryl Crow's only worthwhile album - Tuesday Night Music Club).

I crossed Shelby off my list. So very wrong, Suit Yourself is the equal (if not better) than I Am Shelby Lynne. Like that album the only substandard track is the first track, from then on it's 5-star from track 2 to the aptly named Track 12 (which Tony Joe White, who plays guitar and mumbles on it, called Rainy Night In Georgia when he wrote it). Believe the 5-star reviews below, those writers have real taste.

I note that the only bad reviews are from iPod owners. Serves `em right for tying themselves into Apple, the Sansdisk Sansa is much superior, reads WMA and MP3, and doesn't look as though it will break if you breath on it. I speak from experience, I bought (lumbered) my wife with a Nano.

4.0 out of 5 stars Singing with herself, 29 May 2005
David T. Steere, Jr. (Tucson, AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suit Yourself (Audio CD)
The title. SUIT YOURSELF, can mean a number of things. Yes, it can refer to selfishness. There may be a trace of vanity in this recording--especially when considering the two very odd numbers: the distinctly noisy and unpleasant opening, GO WITH IT, and the short and mystifying YOU AND WE. But, these two numbers amount to quibbles considering the quality of the rest of the cd. SUIT YOURSELF also refers to her ongoing search to avoid the pre-packaged and predictable and banal. In addition, the title also well describes the low-key, living room feel of many of the songs and the "caught in the middle of a rehearsal" sense of it all. That last use of SUIT YOURSELF is fairly important here. When listening, one gets a real sense of a work in progress and how such things are put together--i.e., getting the work to "suit yourself" (meaning Shelby, of course) and, in some cases, not finding the ideal solution. It feels spontaneous--partially an illusion, I know. Finally, of course, we are talking about the tough and tender Shelby Lynne, after all. It wouldn't be her if there weren't some strangeness, some wildness, and some lack of control. Fortunately, cigarettes and alcohol notwithstanding, her voice is as fine as ever--particularly intimate and moving on the many slow songs.
The two odd songs I mentioned above excepted, I like everything on this album. All of my favorites are quiet with minimal accompaniment but for a guitar, mandolin, dobro or piano. "Where Am I Now?, "Old Times Sake," "I Won't Die Alone," "Iced Tea," and "Sleep" are wonderful. When Shelby sings softly, she gets to me almost every time. Her smoky, delicate, twangy voice is irresistible on these numbers. Very simple and very moving. I liked but not loved "I Cry Everyday," "You're the Man" (an interesting take on her reaction to current events), "Johnny Met June" (maudlin but far from cliched), and "You Don't Have A Heart" (which echoes "If I Were Smart,"--that gorgeous number from IDENTITY CRISIS). Apparently, Shelby recorded the basic vocals in her living room and added much of the rest in the studio, including her own harmony work with herself. That often doesn't work but it does here. Shelby with Shelby with Shelby -- "suit yourself," again. The instrumental support is first rate and buoys this fusion of blues (a lot of blues), still a bit of R&B, and her alt-country sound. She's come a long way from commercial Nashville and good thing, too.
In case you thought I'd forgotten Track 12, no way! Tony Joe White's "Rainy Night in Georgia" is simply magnificent here. I wanted it to go on forever. Shelby's great singing, the jamming of her musicians. Wonderful! I left this album with that performance ringing in my head as were her moving words and sounds from "Sleep:"
SLEEP. PLEASE APPEAR.
SHOW TO ME YOUR FACE AND TELL ME IT'S OK TO REST.
SLEEP. HELP ME TRY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Suit Yourself (Audio CD)
I did wonder if "I am Shelby Lynne" would be ever be equalled but it is. The quality comes from the superb recording and production. The songs are less diverse than those on "I am" but the overall sound of this negates that. The iPod copyright protection was an issue for me as well but how can you rate a cd lower on a technical aspect rather than an artistic one? Buy and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best so far, 9 July 2005
This review is from: Suit Yourself (Audio CD)
What an amazing recording with brilliant songs recorded in such a way that you feel part of it. Shelby is one of the few who manage to get their music to you in a personal way via the down to earth approach. There's lots of small surprizes here....remarks made while recording backing vocals left in the mix and bracelet scraping guitar noises which make this a living and breathing CD not another "fully polished, clean-shaven, totally perfect....but dead on arrival recording" Well worth buying if you want an introduction to Shelby...essential for anyone who likes to hear good songs played on real instruments. Go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Copyright!, 20 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Suit Yourself (Audio CD)
A stonking classic from the troubled one. Her best ever. The fact that only the disc only works on my "bedroomed" laptop player(refuses to play on my HiFi) makes the whole affair more intimate.The copyright limitation will irk anyone from the i-pod generation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip Off - Hope You Don't Plan To Listen to This On An iPod, 25 Jun. 2005
Wyatt Bell (Lachen, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suit Yourself (Audio CD)
I have not yet listened to this CD, although somehow, eventually, I will. Why is this? Because the first thing I do with every new purchase I receive from the mighty Amazon is copy it to my PC so that I can stream my music around my house. Unfortunately, this CD has a copy protected format which will only copy in WMA format (not MP3) at a top bit rate of 192 kbps (unless you go lossless at 400 mB for the whole disc), is not Apple and therefore not iPod compatible and cannot be converted. So, I urge you, however good it maybe, NOT TO BUY THIS CD. And Amazon: you should identify these protected CD's up front: I don't want to waste my money on strait-jacketing scams such as these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forget the music, 7 July 2005
DrG (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suit Yourself (Audio CD)
disc is copy protected, so mp3 fans beware. the copy protection isn't good, but you will need 3rd party software to rip it.

Suit Yourself
Suit Yourself by Shelby Lynne (Audio CD - 2013)