‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent baking vessel., 27 July 2012
This review is from: Lodge 2.84 litre / 3 quart Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Combo Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
Wow! The difference this cooker has made to my bread baking is phenomenal! I pre-heat the cooker in the oven, then turn out the proved dough into the shallow skillet, slash it and place the deep pan on top to seal in the heat and steam as it goes back into the oven. After 20 minutes I take off the deep pan and return the dough to the oven in the skillet to brown the crust. It achieves the same results as a professional baker's oven, with far more ovenspring than when using a baking stone, and the development of the crust is qualitatively different, with a much improved colouring and caramelisation. I can't recommend it highly enough. Of course, it's great for stews and casseroles, and the skillet makes an excellent frying pan and is great for eggs, flatbreads and English muffins, but it's in bread baking that this cooker really comes into its own. If you want to improve your bread, this is the single biggest improvement you can make to your baking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing you can own. Your kitchen will love you for it ;-), 27 Mar. 2015
I'm joining the brotherhood of the 5-star review!
I'm such a petty person, I review lots of products, rarely giving 5 stars.
I have to agree with the general consensus. The Lodge Combo is worth the price and worth giving 5-stars to.
It is far easier to use than I expected. It is very easy to season and takes it quickly also because it comes pre-seasoned you only need one to two seasoning sessions to truly turn it jet black and "yours".
It heats up quickly, cooks very evenly. I do recommend to also buy a sleeve handle. They go for £4-£5 and are worth it because then handling the combo is free of any danger.
It's really easy to clean as well. All you need to do is, once you've finished cooking whatever you were cooking or frying, simply pour in hot water and let it simmer for a few seconds, drain it down the sink, wash with water and then wipe off all the water with either a designated towel or paper towel. There really is no need to put on a layer of oil, it's totally unnecessary this Lodge piece comes fully seasoned whether you add your own or not so as long as you wipe it dry it won't rust.
I found that the best combination is to heat it up on the stove as is, slowly, then add a bit of olive oil and spread it around then add a little bit of butter and fry/cook whatever I wanted. The combination of butter over oil really makes it 99% non-stick. If you do a seasoning session of your own, even better.
It can be used for just about everything! Frying pan, cooking pot, Dutch oven, bon fire tool, you can use it as a pizza tray or you can use it to bake things like Shepherd's Pie and Lancashire Hotpot.
Honestly, I've tried a few pans by De Buyer and this Lodge Combo beats everything blind. I can honestly say, now that I've had it for a few months, seasoned it myself and learned how to use it, that if I could have only one thing I'd have this Combo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace, 20 Feb. 2014
A good swing with this puppy will definitely take down a home intruder, or an errant priest from an irish sitcom. But only I used it to bake sourdough bread in the oven a la tartine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., 30 Sept. 2014
Wish I'd tried cast iron pans before. Now been using it for about a month and really happy with it. Not exactly non stick and first time I used it, things stuck to it, but I keep oiling it after every use and I'm finding that now all it needs is a wipe with a wet sponge under the hot tap and it's good to go. If food tricky to remove, boil some water in it and leave for a while, then the food just comes off nice and easy.

Lid doubles up as a skillet, which is good.

And it's perfect for making no knead bread. Made about 10 loaves so far and everyone has come out perfect, even when I forgot to take one out of the oven and left it in there for an extra 30 minutes. Can't figure that one out though......

Not for the weak though. It's a heavy beast

5.0 out of 5 stars best cast iron set., 7 Aug. 2013
Incredible set and quality. just see the total weight. Is very heavy and strong, perfect for cooking almost everywhere. My wife loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant to cook with, 9 Jan. 2014
I love my Lodge combo cooker. It is very versatile and I like the fact you can use the lid on its own as a skillet. Well worth the money. It is heavy to use though although it doesn't bother me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas gift, 2 Feb. 2014
Mrs. Janice E. Horrigan "JEB" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought for my son and his wife as a Christmas gift ( it was on their wish list) they are delighted with it. It has been in use many times. The handle makes it easy to manoeuvre in and out of the oven, can also be used on top of the stove as a covered pan or as two frying pans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dutch Oven, and how!, 23 Mar. 2014
RBlood "Richard Bloodworth" (DARLINGTON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought this to bake sourdough bread and it's brilliant for that. But the skillet is also fantastic for cooking steak, chops, etc. I can't recommend this highly enough - but beware - it IS heavy, so take care with handling it, especially when hot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for artisan bread making!, 23 April 2015
This is utterly brilliant. I was looking for a Dutch Oven for artisan bread making at home and had settled on a Black Satin Le Creuset casserole dish costing £145, more than twice the price of this Lodge, so I took the risk and got this instead at a saving of £80! Cost aside, this functions better than a casserole dish as you can use the shallow skillet as the base, a distinct advantage when lowering dough onto something heated to 240C; no risk of scalded knuckles that are an obvious hazard with a deep casserole dish. You then pop the saucepan half on top as the cover and there you have it - a cast iron bread cloche. Added to this, you can use the skillet as a pan for pizza or focaccia (no additional cost of buying a pizza stone) and you also have what the whole thing was originally designed for, a frying pan, saucepan and casserole all rolled into one. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever bought anything as practical. Finally, I opted for the free delivery and it arrived within three days; excellent service. Oh, I forgot to say, the bread was the best I've ever baked too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, indestructable and, 21 Oct. 2014
Wonderful, indestructable and, will last more than a lifetime.Ready to use,but do please read the booklet that comes with it, as it will save some of you giving this excellent product a negative review.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›