4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Treat For The 80's Connoisseur!
Although I sympathise with some other reviewers comments regarding a lack of big names on this CD, for an avid 80's collector like me, that's kind of the point! As much as I love the tracks by Duran Duran, Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Culture Club, etc, I've already got them in one form or another, the beauty of a collection like this is the chance to get
your hands...
Published on 28 Jun 2005 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars I have a dream!
I have a dream! That one day, every single piece of recorded music will be available for us to purchase from a vast online store, like iTunes, but fairer. The price we pay for each track is fair, based upon date since original release and enduring popularity.

Until then, we are at the mercy of terrible compilations like this!

Where from 3 discs,...
Published on 22 May 2006 by Pardy

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Treat For The 80's Connoisseur!, 28 Jun 2005
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)
your hands some rare mixes of long lost gems like Julian Cope's Trampolene, Hue And Cry's Labour Of Love or the Associates Party Fears Two. So maybe not an album for the casual 80's fan but definitely a real treat for the connoisseur!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Mix.., 27 Jun 2005
G. M. Ward (St Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)
Have to disagree with llorenna. We didn't need vol 2 to be a retread of ground covered in the first set, and this doesn't disappoint. A number of real classics here - particularly at the more Indy end - and some songs which were definitley at their best on the 12" format. Pig Bag's "Papa's Got A Brand New Pig Bag" seemed to be in the Indy chart for years in the mid 80's, and remains brilliant. I'm presuming that "Big Decision" by That Petrol Emotion is one of the "never-heard-of-it" songs referred to in the earlier review? Too bad, it's a great song, by the bit of the Undertones who didn't go all wet on us. Nice to see some FGTH on this volume (though I would have preferred Relax to Two Tribes), as well as the first 12" single that I ever bought - Soft Cell's Bedsitter - every bit as good a 12" as Tainted Love, and the classic Pet Shop Boys debut. Malcolm Mclaren's Madame Butterfly - one of the singles from Fans - his excellent album fusing electro, hip hop and opera, is another highlight. The big question still remains though - where is Blue Monday?

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Fun, 27 Jun 2005
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)
The first volume was a big hit with all my mates, that could be an age thing I guess cos this is our era - but unlike the other reviewers here, I think the mix of big hitters and more obscure 12"s works well. Any compilation that includes the Miami mix of When Smokey Sings is doing something right...and the extended mix of Long Hot Summer will serve me well by the pool on holiday this year.
Well done, can't wait for volume 3!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nasty mastering glitch in Disc 3 track 1 Oblivious 12", 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)
Do the people who compile these discs ever listen to them before they go out?

There's a nasty glitch in the mastering of CD3 track 1 Oblivious 12" by Aztec camera. Just listen to the intro and see where it slips out of 4/4 time and back again.

This makes at least 2 discs that this faulty master has been used on - the expanded issue of High Land Hard Rain [Expanded Edition] has the same fault. Surely someone, somewhere, must have noticed it? It only takes a minute to correct this flaw, but no-one seems to have bothered, or even noticed!

I have now created a pristine, corrected version of this track for anyone that wants to replace the faulty one. Just tweet to @wondermouse

No you can't have the other tracks - you have to buy them. I wouldn't be offering this one if someone at the mastering plant had done their job :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE MUST OF 80S, 9 May 2012
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)
A SIMPLY ONE MUST OF 80S, PERSONALLY I SUGGEST ALL THE CDS COMING FROM [...]. IN PARTICULAR I'M A REALLY FUND OF THIS COLLECTION OF REMIX DATED 80S, ALL VERY WELL RECORDED AND REMASTERED AND MAINLY SOME OF THEM ARE REALLY UNIQUES. COLLECT ALL THIS ITEMS, A COLLECTION TO HAVE AND TO HOLD, CLAUDIO

5.0 out of 5 stars Excess is good - in moderation!, 11 May 2009
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)
I don't know how anyone can say this is a 'terrible' compilation; not only does it contain extended and alternative versions of some of the lesser known hits from some big bands - how refreshing to have PSB's 'Love Comes Quickly' rather than say 'West End Girls', and Culture Club's 'I'll Tumble 4 Ya' as opposed to 'Karma Chameleon' or 'Do You Really Want to Hurt Me'; but the selection is also pretty eclectic; 'Pigbag' and Duran Duran on the same disc?! I'm a big 80s music fan and started buying music around 1984, so I guess I'm bound to laud this album, however I can't say I love all the tracks; I never really liked anything by Spandau Ballet or Sly and Robbie. These aside, this collection is great fun and provides some new twists on old favourites that are extremely hard to get hold of unless you were an avid collector of 12" vinyl in the 1980s (I wasn't avid enough I'm afraid!). Good price, good fun, good music; sorted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now 'that's' a Compilation !, 19 Nov 2008
BD "bigdave2020" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)
The series of 12" 80's era CD box sets highlight just what a rich tapestry of output this period had, and reading through the reviews, also how opinions divide so much over track listings.

Dealing with the track listing issue, I won't be doing a track by track analysis as others have already done so (no point in repeating others work), and I reckon if you are looking at the items page, the track listing, and my review, you will already know if this album is what you want, and if you know or like the tracks or not.

The albums in the 12" series seem to average between 30-40 tracks, so back in the day (let alone now at collectors' fairs) to buy all of the tracks included would cost at least a 120 or more. You can now buy a collection for a tenth of that price. So by my reckoning, if you buy any of these compilations and you have only a few that you like, or get hold of an old favourite that is totally unavailable by any other means, you are quid's in. For me the ultimate compliment to this series, are the other pale imitators that have been subsequently released by other labels, in a bid to cash in on the success and quality of the 12" series of albums.

Ignore the critics, these albums represent outstanding value for money, and for those of us who where around at the time (or maybe wish they were) the 12" series of CD's represent an outstanding opportunity to acquire a collection of quality tracks that realistically, would be otherwise virtually impossible to achieve.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alternative 80s compilation, 27 Jun 2005
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)
Family are back with another installment of 12"/80's; a compilation which is known for it's leftfield aproach to 80's compilations. All 12" versions, all not too commercial, yet not too obscure. But this time it looks like Family have gone for more lesser known classics from the 80s.
CD1 has a lot of indie tracks, with a slight sprinkle of electro. Highlights include Soft Cell's Bedsitter; the very funky Papa's Got A New Pigbag; the amazing yet strange Bizarre Love Triangle from the legendary New Order and the speedy Yellow track - The Race. So far, OK, but not really excellent like 12"/80's volume 1....
CD2 is more your new romantics, electronica, and general pop. I was quite pleased to see Pet Shop Boys were on this, as I love West End Girls, excellent track, has great memories. Some classics on this disc too, specially ABC's When Smokey Sings; Hue And Cry's amazing Labour Of Love; Lloyd Cole's cool Brand New Friend and Depeche Mode's classic cut Get The Balance Right. Was also nice to see the classic INXS track too. Excellent CD, the best of the box! Was a bit disapointed to see Duran Duran, but thats my opinion...
CD3 is again more pop with classics from Spandau Ballet, Belouis Some, Sly And Robbie and Grace Jones. Otherwise I felt this disc was a real let down, specially that Two Tribes is on a lot of 80s compilations - and the rest was really obscure 80s. Bit disaponting really considering how well Family did with CD2.
Altogether this compilation is a little disapointing, but CD2 is amazing. Shame really, 12"/80's was amazing, inovative and cool. Didn't start out too well, but has a great high point on CD2, then fizzles out on CD3, I guess I just expected a lot from this second installment. I am glad they heard my request of adding New Order to the next release, so thats one good thing! Shame really, as this was a real refreshing concept, I guess releasing it 4 months after the first one wasn't the wisest thing.
If you like obscure 80s music then this is right up your street, if not - then I suggest looking at 12"/80's Volume 1 and Real 80's as they're amazing compilations.
Hope 12"/90's is going to come along soon! (yes you saw it here first)

2.0 out of 5 stars I have a dream!, 22 May 2006
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)

Until then, we are at the mercy of terrible compilations like this!

Where from 3 discs, there are 3 or 4 decent tracks. The rest is pure tripe - not even making the hot 200 in 1985!!!

Don't waste your money on this, if you like a few tracks, then download them instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre track list, 19 Jun 2005
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)
With notable exceptions from the likes of Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode, This second outing for the '12"80's' series seems to be brimming with low end top40 minor hits with a dozen or so 'never-heard-of-it' titles thrown in. A case of trying too hard to be cool at the expense of the pop hits we loved from yester-year. Disappointing.

12"/80s Vol.2
12"/80s Vol.2 by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2005)