Passion
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£8.86+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 28 June 2005
Geri will probably forever remembered as a member of Spice Girls but I think her first and third solo album will be remebered almost as well as the Spice Girls albums too...at least they should be. When I first I heard the songs "Ride It" and "Desire" I though that she will make an excellent album this time...and she did. There's some peaceful songs like "Passion", "There's Always Tomorrow", "So I Give Up on Love" and it is strange that "Passion" is also an opening track. However, when you begin to listen to this album again and again...you will found it as one of the best pop albums ever. There's also a little bit jazz in some songs. The lyrics are actually mostly about love, hope, and you-know-what...I don't think that the songs "Ride It" and "Desire" leave you without answer. There's some very good songs like "Love Never Loved Me" and "Feel the Fear" which are very beautiful songs. "Don't Get Any Better" and "Superstar" are defintely the songs with the positive attitude...taking the things as they are. Geri's voice is much more beautiful than in the earlier albums...or is it maybe her mood??? I found all the songs very good and definitely Geri's best. I found almost all the songs in this album even as good as "Calling", "Circles Round the Moon", "Mi Chico Latino", "Lift Me Up", and "Mi Chico Latino" in her earlier two albums. "Love Never Loved Me" is my favourite Geri Halliwell song ever!!! It has very good keyboards.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 July 2005
We had missed Ms. Halliwell there for a while, After Scream if you wanna go faster was released it seemed her sense of SchizoPhonic pop wasn't there. Well it is Back with Passion. This is a deep album for Geri, I think. Giving you a little bit of everything and really proving the critics wrong, Geri CAN sing! With tracks such as Feel the Fear ( song written about the Spice Girls)and Loving me back to life it shines! This album proves that her dance songs are still top notch with Love Never Loved Me, Desire and teh top 5 hit Ride It - Watch out Kylie is all I have to say. Passion def. proves that GEri can go any route in her career with the jazzy tracks of Passion and So I gave up on love but my favorite tracks are Super Star and Let Me love you More. Over All this album is one of Geri's Best Yet!
BUY PASSION NOW!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 April 2006
She said it took her a few years to write and put this album together and you can see why. This album to me feels so deep and rich in meaning with lyrics that jump out " cut like a knife and now I'm sinking battleships". Many would say Geri was not the strongest spice girl and doesn't have a voice thats great but I love the roughness of her tone and the passion that is potraid in this album. My favourite tracks have to be ride it and passion. Each song has a meaning behind it and as one reviewer said it sounds old fashioned. I have to partly agree with them in a good way, as some songs in the album like "So I gave up on love" and "Passion" sound very cabaret, jazzy style but that brings out the character and essence of the song. It also gives more variety and proves Geri can pull off more than a number one written by wannabes. There is also a few moving ballads in the album which have been written by herself which shows another credit to this wonderful album.
To sum up. It's a great album and though it didn't shoot to the very top of the charts like her previous two albums it shows a more mature Geri and a more moving album with sound being varied and more deeply in riched. Buy it and be inspired.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
No one, in the pop world at least, has been quite as successful as Geri Halliwell has at imprinting her character on her music. Her name and that of her previous life as Ginger Spice is synonymous with camp, sex appeal and empowerment, all tempered into a fun form that is palatable for all but the most scathing of critic. Passion is something of a departure from this, although you only have to look at the videos for Ride It and Desire to see that Geri's character is still stamped all over her new album.
Those who have only heard her first two singles may well be under the impression that Passion contains more of the same, pure bubblegum pop and very little else. However Passion sees Geri in an eclectic mood, straddling expectations from her old fans and the need that every artist has to attract new listeners. 'There's Always Tomorrow' gives a gentle nod to 'Mi Chico Latino' albeit in a much softer, subtle way with Geri drizzling her voice over rolling Latino beats which makes it perfect summer listening. 'Love Never Loved Me' is definitely worthy of a single release, which despite the mournful title is pure pop and bound to satisfy die-hard fans. Although another reviewer wasn't keen on 'Surrender Your Groove' it's a standout song for me with a great breakdown toward the end and some powerful slowed down sections. Combined with a strong video and a good dance routine (with trademark Geri half-naked men, natch) this would make a good commercial hit.
'So I Give Up On Love' and the title track 'Passion' are dreamy numbers with Geri's character stamped all over them. The latter conjures up a smoky lounge number and screams out for a Michelle Pfeiffer turn, with Geri draped across a piano whilst purring out the lyrics. The former, although not strong enough for single release, is an important addition to the album as it's pure fun, with Geri singing, squealing and huskily laughing out her autobiographical lyrics.
'Feel the Fear' and 'Loving Me Back To Life' are both very strong songs and demonstrate a lot of the maturity and depth that other reviewers have alluded to. Along with 'Let Me Love You More' this trio although worthy of much more comment and praise make up the slower, ballad parts of Passion where Geri illustrates her impressive range and reminds the listener that she isn't just pure pop.
Whilst it wouldn't be unfair to say that as far as Passion goes it's more of the same from Geri, it is also a departure in many ways. The slower parts of Passion are certainly new to those only familiar to her single releases, although Geri's larger than life persona is still all over the songs. Whilst it isn't too serious, Passion does have its softer more sensitive side without losing its fun edge - much like the lady herself. Deliciously camp and enjoyable, Passion will please old fans and be instantly accessible to new listeners.
on 8 February 2006
I was so happy to see that my girl was coming back with a new album. I was ecstatic when I first heard "Ride It", on her web site, because unfortunately my country is so saturated with this whole rediculous urban/hip-hop scene that songs like "Ride it" or "Desire" (especially) would never even get a chance to be played on the radio. It's hard enough for pop artists to get played now without lending themselves to hip hop beats or raps now. The hay-day of the nineties, when Geri and the girls ruled over the charts, are long gone. It's nice to see though that she's still going, even if from what I've read and heard the album didn't do so well.
"Passion" is an aquired taste, I think. It's hard for an artist to kinda do their own thing and not give in to top 40 appeal. This record I think was the msot personal for Geri, at least that what it sounded like. I remember reading a while ago that she liked the jazzy type sound, the slow lounge singer thing, which would explain "Passion" and "So I Give Up on Love", which are both very different from what the usual pop listener would take up listening to in their car. I didn't really like the last track at first, but after I decided to listen to it a couple times, I really grew to like it. I had to do the same thing with "Desire" because it was an unusual track, but I like it now. It's kinda like Britney's "Toxic" but slower.
Over all the album is really good, I think. It's a different direction for Miss Halliwell, taking a much more serious tone than either of her previous albums. There's not so much camp as we've grown to love her for, but it can definetly be found in several tracks. I think "Desire", "Love Never Loved Me", "There's Always Tomorrow", "Let Me Love You More" and "Ride It" are the best tracks on here. I'm upset that "Ride it" didn't do better. I think "Love Never Loved Me" should have been the second single as it is an amazing song and she knows how her boy's like it! "Let me Love You More" is beautiful and she sounds great in this relaxed tone. It's just beautiful. Those should have been her follow ups to "Ride it". But she is fabulous nonetheless.
I am really hoping the EMI or innocent or whatever they have her on now doesn't give up on her. I'm disappointed with how the record company continued to handle her. I don't understand how labels can expect artists to be successful without promoting them. I don't know if I'll ever see another Geri album released here in the U.S., as badly as I want it, and "Passion" wouldn't stand a chance here. Out of all the girls, Geri was the only one to completely fulfill her contract with a major label for three albums, and she is one of the most successful and loved female performers from the UK. She just does her own thing and appreciates the fact that she can do what she loves to do because that's all we really want. I don't think she likes giving into mainstream stuff, and as she's said Pop doesn't have to be a dirty word. She makes it fun, not so serious, and helps to define pop. I always thought that if she pushed herself hard enough, she could be the next Madonna. I really did. She doesn't care what anyone else thinks and I have so much respect for her.
Please EMI, don't give up on her if you haven't already. I don't think you understand what you have. And hopefully she'll be able to continue recording. I just read that she's pregnant, which is wonderful. The child will be fabulous! I know it. All the best Miss Halliwell, and know that even across the pond you are continuously adored.
on 11 June 2005
After the dissapointing low entry of Desire(no 22) last week and rumours the album wasn't very good I still had to but it cause its Geri. I have to say I am very impressed.My track-by-track review is below
Passion: Jazzy opener to Geri's third solo album, reminisent of Goodnight kiss from her first solo record, plods along, easily listenable but nothing very special.
5/10
Desire: Despite its low entry in the charts last week this isn't a bad song I think because its so different to previous Geri material people were just not ready for it. Its sexy and seductive catchy pop shame it did so bad.
7/10
Love never loved me: This is one of my favourite tracks on the album and should have been realised instead of desire. It's fun yet has a deep meaning behind it. I suppose you could say credible Euro-pop. After the first 2 tracks being slow its a welcome fast uplifting highlight to the album.
9/10
Feel the fear: Feel the fear was written about Geri's spice girl days and in the album sleeve she dedicates the track to Five girls in a Fiat Uno(Victoria used to own a Fiat Uno before the girls made it big). Its like a power ballad slow but a strong chorus and really becomes alive towards the end with a louder final chorus.
7/10
Superstar: Very camp and typically Geri one of two tracks written with Guy Chambers, Robbie Williams former song-writing partner. Its fast, good fun but not amazing.
7/10
Surrender your groove: Of all the album tracks I find this the weakest after several listens I don't find much to it. It's quite slow despite the title making you think it would be a big disco number so I was dissapointed. Weakest track.
4/10
Ride it: As soon as you buy the album you'll know this one.Definately undertsand why it was the first single as its the most commercial number. Seductive and extremely catchy reminisent of many kylie songs.One of the best tracks.
9/10
There's always tomorrow: This is an ok track and perfectly acceptable album track but I don't think that much of it. Despite the verses being quite catchy I found the chorus to be dissapointing. The latino background music is pleasant though just could have been stronger.Some people may enjoy it and some won't.
6/10
Let me love you more: Another amazing track so beautiful and sensual. It's definately one of the best tracks on the album and very mature sounding for a ballad no cheese to it.
9/10
Don't get any better: This track is camp and catchy after few listens it grows on you much more. Fun track and geri talks about her tits and ass so its good fun.
7/10
Love me back to life: Second track written with Guy Chambers and in my opinion the best track on the album. A beautiful ballad about thanking someone despite breaking up with them for the love they gave you. Stirrs up deep emotions and the beautiful piano intro is unlike any previous Geri tracks. It has such a mature feel to it almost Dido-esque.
10/10
So I give up on love: Very jazzy and reminisent of the Spice Girls track The Lady is a vamp. Geri talks about her exes and gives them code names to hide their identities.Very amusing and catchy camp jazz at the same time. This is like Geri's fun track to round the album off.Good fun.
8/10
All in all this album is a much more mature piece of work and there are songs here unlike anything Geri has recorded before. Her voice is stronger and she's growing from a performer into an artist. Not perfect but definately a cd that you can leave playing and no two tracks sound the same.
on 4 February 2006
Well, I must start this review saying that I am fan of Geri and the Spices and I have to say that I have just bought Passion (a little late, I know). When I heard it for the first time I thought: ok, this is Geri and we are in 2006. Well, this music is totally old fashioned!!! I mean, this album could have been all a hit in the 90´s (whether she had released songs like Love never loved me or Passion). For example, I like Love never loved me, but doesn´t it sound like Steps or something? Anyway, I have the album and I have to say, if you´re not a Geri fan, don´t buy it, because she has done better before.
To finish, I´d like to say WELL DONE, GERI for PASSION (the song) and RIDE IT and LOVE NEVER LOVED ME, the best songs in the album.
on 13 September 2013
A great pop álbum filled with great songs to sing along. Highly recommended.

I like it from start to finish
on 21 June 2005
I loved the first album but wasn't so keen on the 2nd back in 2001 and actually forgot about Geri Halliwell until saw this album and the reviews loved it so I thought why not! And I don't regret it! its a great album I'm sad to hear that it didn't do so well on the charts at 41 and that her solo career maybe dying but I think if all us Geri fans spread the word how good this album is then hopefully her 4th will make a good come back to the charts. But I hope Geri knows that this is her best album yet just dam shame this wasn't the one released in 2001
Anyway this album great and shows a much more mature Geri is now which is good as my music taste have also matured so works out well and give this album a full 5/5 ranks up there with the new cold play and Oasis album!
on 15 June 2005
Despite the poor success of single Desire, I thought it was a good track and got the album and I'm glad I did! This is much better than her second album and brings Geri back to her Spice Girl heyday. This is an upbeat, pop album full of sing-a-long songs, some nice ballads and two jazzy numbers. If you like catchy, fun music this is for you- it doesn't take itself seriously and is all the better for it!
Buy this album and you won't be disapointed- well done Geri you're still the best solo spice and deserve this album to be a hit!!