5.0 out of 5 stars Minimum-maximum (beats per minute)
I will admit upfront that, having caught the tour last year and seen all this done live, this would have to have been a very poor recording for me to have not liked it.
Published on 14 Jun 2005 by A. Skudder

3.0 out of 5 stars Live show lacking without the visuals
It's nice to have a well-recorded document of how they approach their material nowadays, but some of the atmosphere of the older tracks has gone.
Published on 12 Jun 2005 by ricadus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimum-maximum (beats per minute), 14 Jun 2005
A. Skudder (Crawley, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
For anyone who doesn't crave this as a souvenir of a great night out in Brixton, it will serve well as a Greatest Hits remix album as it contains tracks from all their main albums which are close enough to be familiar, but different enough to be worth having. There is enough crowd noise to give it atmosphere, but not enough to intrude. In fact the crowd reaction on Dentaku adds to the song, hearing the Tokyo audience singing along to Kraftwerk's Japanese lyrics.
The highlights are the mighty Radioactivity, the insistant clanging of Metal On Metal and... well... most of the other 20 tracks to be honest. I particularly liked the subtle intonation of the vocals on Pocket Calculator and Autobahn which actually made Ralf seem more human than I have ever heard him.
Like everyone else, I see this as only a stopgap while waiting for the promised DVD or SACD, but it really does repay careful listening: each time I find new depth in it and, surprisingly for music which is entirely electronic, great soul.
It would have been nice if they had played the full 22-minute version of Autobahn, although the one here is, at almost 9 minutes, a lot onger than the single version, and I'm slightly miffed that my personal favourite (Showroom Dummies) was not included, but they are mere quibbles and not worth knocking a star off for.
One word about copy protection, which another review mentioned. I saw no sign of it on my copy from Amazon, and had no trouble at all ripping it to my iRiver to listen to on the way to work. There is just something too perfect about listening to Trans Europe Express while on a train, even if it is only the 06:50 to London Bridge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Revisit Surprise of the Pleasant Kind, 8 July 2005
A. Herkes "H" (Milton Keynes UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
I was a keen fan of Kraftwerk in the good old days but I had moved on and they were a happy memory really.
My experience is that somehow much loved music of the past is not quite so thrilling when revisited after a spell away.
I bought this CD with a degree of angst that I would be disappointed when I reheard some old favourites as they did not resonate as before.
Boy did I enjoy them again. Being live gave them a certain added piquancy. It was as though the intervening years had not happened. I was young again, sang along, swayed with the rhythm. What more can I say?
I enjoyed the CD, play it frequently and relive an earlier life each time. Will that happen for you? I don't know but it does for me.
It has all the earlier out of body feel, the somehow disjointed but melodic rhythm, and hypnotic themes on unusual yet familiar subjects.
I am happy. Sorry if this is little help in whether you should buy or not, it is a personal taste thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars By pressing down this special key It Plays a little Melody!, 7 Jun 2005
T. Robinson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
Don't fancy the idea of Kraftwerk live? Its all in the detail. Not for those with a short attention span; its effectively 4 guys, two of whom are approaching 60 , virtually motionless behind identical podiums. Video projections provide the only immediate visual 'entertainment'. That is until the music starts and you realise Kraftwerk have a monstrously loud sound system with bass bins that demolish all in their path. 2 hours of brilliant music, occasionally fab visuals and rather camp costume changes. Oh and they all turn into robots as well. And for someone who is hardly a born frontman, Ralf Hutter is oddly engaging....and if you look closely he's dancing and clearly having a ball, in a Dalek type way.
OK so here all you get is the music (a mystique-demolishing DVD is in the pipeline). However, these versions aren't identical to the studio ones at all, there are lots of little tweaks, boinks and bongs. At times, such as on 'Numbers' Kraftwerk bend everything around to suitably mesmerising effect. Beats are given an extra kick throughout and they sound funkier than ever as they head for pensionable age. Not sure how much is 'played' and how much is pre-sequenced, and I suspect there are only 4 members on stage for the sake of symmetry, however there is enough going on to justify purchase even if you have all the other records. At times they almost better the originals.
The reaction of the audience(s), loving every minute and cheering mid-song as the beats kick in, (even singing along..in Japanese to 'Dentaku' to Hutters obvious delight) adds an unusually human element to this notoriously clinical music (although machines have soul as we all know).
Each track comes from a different gig. Apparently they taped the whole 2004 tour. One can imagine Kraftwerk wading through piles of minidiscs and comparing the acoustics of different halls they played in and choosing the best ones. Anyway, it all sounds incredibly crisp and smart. Puts most studio LPs to shame for sheer sonic fidelity....listen to it your headphones!
Yeah its all done on Computers now, who cares? It still sounds great. And Kraftwerk can still teach technobots a third of their age a thing or two about how to use Laptops and software in a live setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars is not enough!, 4 Feb 2006
kiss the sky (Didcot OXON. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
I have always liked Kraftwerk, but would not concider myself a real fan, infact I only have a few bits on tape.
I bought this double CD, not really knowing what to expect, just hoping it would stand up to all the hype. It doesn't though...it is FAR FAR BETTER!
Amazing, brilliant, perfect polished Kraftwerk, at their very very best.
It starts with a brilliant version of The man-machine, which is quite funky....yes, you can [nearly] dance to this!!! With all the hits there including Autobahn/Tour de france/The model/The robots etc, it has something for everyone. It ends with a mind blowing version of Music non stop, which leaves you just wanting more more more.
I love Radioactivity and Trans europe express, but would find it very hard to say which are my favourite tracks. Minimum Maximum has not one bad track. Well worth the money, a CD I will play again and again.
If only I could give this more than 5 stars. Buy it, you will LOVE it! Simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Live Album, 22 Jun 2005
Christopher Hunter "cjhunter2001uk" (Farnham UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
A Kraftwerk live album always sounds a bit of a contradiction in terms but I saw the Royal Festival Hall gig last year and admit they are one of the best bands I've ever seen live. They manage the extremely difficult trick of taking themselves seriously whilst maintaining their dignity and grace but without ever losing their sense of humour.
This recording perfectly captures the beauty and power of their performance. A great addition to the Kraftwerk catalogue which just goes further to underline their number one position as a band of influence on so many different areas of modern music.
Kraftwerk 'Unplugged' anyone?

5.0 out of 5 stars Reworked and Aerodynamic, 7 Jun 2005
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
This is a very good album - and is, of course, 'The Mix Volume 2' in all but name. Kraftwerk fans like myself will hope that this update on their awesome back catalogue doesn't date as much as the 1991 versions have done. At the moment it sounds terrific throughout, and is as sleek and perfectly primed as you would expect.
Highlights include the 7-minute-plus opener, 'The Man Machine', which retains the complexity and mystery of the original, a well compressed 'Home Computer' and even a crowd-rousing 'Dentaku' ('Pocket Calculator' in Japanese) recorded in Tokyo. The only negative comment I would give, having seen them in concert on this tour, is that Radioactivity, which brought the house down live with an enormous wall of sound, doesn't seem to have quite as much impact on disc. Perhaps I just need to be playing it louder!
Any new release from Kraftwerk deserves to be bought immediately, and listened to with as much attention as you can muster. This beautifully crafted and packaged double CD is well worth the 30 year wait for an official live release, and now maybe, just maybe, we can hope for a new studio album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality control maintained., 9 Feb 2007
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
After finding Youtube videos of Aerodynamik live I just had to buy Minimum Maximum. I bought the DVD too, but prefer the CD. It sounds better.

I can't fault this. It's clever, funny and moving. It's art.

From studying the DVD it looks like they mainly fiddle around with effects when playing "live" apart from Ralf Hutter who sings and clearly plays some of the keyboard lines along with Florian Schneider.

I'm not complaining though; they've further smoothed out the mix on some of the tunes, like Pocket Calculator, whilst they've gone back to simpler arrangements on other tunes, like Radioactivity.

They do seem to have stuck to the big tunes and I wish they'd explored something a bit rarer for a few tracks. Like Showroom Dummies, Spacelab or Europe Endless, say.

A bit of continuous mix blending of a few tracks might have been interesting too.

Then again it's the single minded approach that makes Kraftwerk what they are.

If you like Krafwerk you'll like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Live show lacking without the visuals, 12 Jun 2005
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
I also feel that the visual side their live show is greatly improved and so the music perhaps is a bit lacking without the accompanying lighting effects and video projections. For anyone who's not had the chance to see them live, maybe it's worth waiting until the DVD is available, so you can see the whole shebang rather than simply listening to the audio layer.
It makes me wonder if the "minimum - maximum" concept is possibly the act of releasing an audio recording first and a video/audio DVD of the same stuff somewhat later... Very droll.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar double-live set from the Dussledorf-droids..., 6 Sep 2005
Jason Parkes "We're all Frankies'" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
'Minimum-Maximum' represents Kraftwerk's most recent tour wonderfully, a double live-set that offers material from the 'Tour De France' LP and highlights of their mighty back-catalogue sounding as up-to date as 'The Mix' did in 1991...
The first disc following 'The Man Machine' offers material from 'Tour De France'- highlights including 'Vitamin', the title-track and 'Planet of Visions' - which sounds like Orbital! A few crowd-pleasers turn up towards the end - a version of 'Autobahn' just under nine-minutes, a charming take of 'The Model' which sounds as sonically lovely as the new Depeche Mode single, & we come back to 'The Man Machine' once more with a sublime take of 'Neon Lights.' The future seems a good idea once more...
The second disc focuses more on the older tracks - a sinister/political take on 'Radioactivity', a perfect 'Trans Europe Express'/'Metal on Metal' & then we move towards 1981's 'Computer World.' 'Numbers' up there with anything on Yellow Magic Orchestra's 'Technodelic' and proto-rave greatness if ever I've heard it ; while 'Computer World' finds them at one with the machine and reminding us they were there before most...Sadly there's no 'Computer Love', but there is a huge 'Home Computer' followed by a lethal double of 'Pocket Calculator' and its Japanese-relative 'Dentaku'- the latter having the best audience particpitation on the album! Following the bpm-meltdown, we go back to 'The Robots', which makes me wonder if there's going to be a tie-in DVD of this tour as it was so visual? Two tracks from 'Tour De France' - 'Elektro Kardiogramm' and single 'Aero Dynamik' remind us of Kraftwerk's contemporary nature before a closing take of 'Electric Cafe's 'Music Non-Stop'. At just over nine-minutes this is the best version I've heard of this track so far and like the versions of 'Numbers', 'The Model' & 'The Robots' proof that the back-catalogue is wonderful to upgrade...
Not many electronic acts can get away with a double-live album - so this joins Depeche Mode's '101' as one of the few that does...

4.0 out of 5 stars Meisterwerk, 21 Jun 2010
Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen (real name) (Thread rehab facility 37) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Minimum - Maximum (Audio CD)
This 2 disc set of Kraftwerk arrived on Fathers Day. It is in a genre of music I am not well versed in at all. In fact I was only familiar with The Robots and The Model, two out of the 22 on this live set.

First impressions were most favourable. I skipped straight to the two songs I knew and let them rip. The superior sound quality of this live set is a relevation. In fact it is so good as to make wonder what do the band do when "playing live". Everything is note and beat perfect. For all I know it could be a backing track that the band mime to when in concert. Anyway the legitiamcy of the live status is not going to answered here. The audience sound most appreciative and there is a convincing hall sized reverb effect, so it is possible to imagine what the show sounded like.

If a Kraftwerk show is as good as this suggests then I reckon attendance at the the next show they put on anywhere in Ireland is compulsory.

In summary, an excellent sounding and engaging live compilation of the masters of the teutonic synth sound. Worth getting.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Minimum - Maximum
Minimum - Maximum by Kraftwerk (Audio CD - 2005)