4.0 out of 5 stars Preston Sturges impresses

3.0 out of 5 stars Deserves a better transfer
Published on 2 Jun 2010 by G. L. Craig

4.0 out of 5 stars Preston Sturges impresses, 18 Dec 2011
This review is from: Hail the Conquering Hero [DVD] (DVD)
This is actually my first foray into Preston Sturges' filmography (as director at least) so I wasn't sure what to expect outside of what the cover said. I have to say that it's a film I'm glad I picked up. Eddie Bracken is very good as the soldier who never went to war due to a serious bout of hayfever and is so embarrassed he decides to not go back to his hometown... that is until a group of soldiers he buys a drink for tries to fix his problem against his will by phoning his mother and telling her that he will be coming home. He goes home and one thing leads to another until he is put forward as a candidate for mayor. He tries to come clean but as the stories from the other soldiers get more involving and his 'hero' status in his hometown gets higher it becomes harder and harder for the truth to come out. The film works well and has a good cast and above average script making me more interested in picking up more of Sturges' films when I see them real cheap. 3.5/5

3.0 out of 5 stars Deserves a better transfer, 2 Jun 2010
G. L. Craig - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hail the Conquering Hero [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not going to review the film itself, it's a well loved comedy classic. I really enjoyed seeing it again. What I have to say though is that the picture quality can only be described as adequate. At a guess I'd say it was made from an old master tape. What you get is something that is only slighty better than VHS with no extras. It's no match for the many old classics that have been restored, or even just re-transferred for DVD or Bluray. All of the Preston Sturges classics deserve a proper restoration.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ella Raines let down by this weak role., 27 April 2010
hmorley (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hail the Conquering Hero [DVD] (DVD)
I only bought this dvd to see the delectable Ella Raines.The comedy was weak and I did not like the blustering sergeant while Eddie Bracken played a wimp.Ella Raines was rather wasted here as she was very good playing heroines and producers should have given her more meaty roles than this.Her best film was "Impact" (1948).

Hail the Conquering Hero [DVD]
Hail the Conquering Hero [DVD] by Preston Sturges (DVD - 2013)
Used & New from: 4.63