4.0 out of 5 stars Great wireless desktop at a very reasonable price
I bought this to use with my laptop because, like most laptops, the keyboard and touchpad aren't up to much. I chose to buy a Microsoft desktop because I've had trouble in the past with optical mice that cause the cursor to jump to corners of the screen. A simple installation disc solves the problem in this case, ensuring that the keyboard and mouse are properly...
Published on 30 Aug 2005 by michael1591

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not built for Gamers.
With exceptional battery life and good build quality this item is great at being a standard keyboard. But if you want to play games online such as Counter strike you will notice a considerable lag and poor wireless signal. SO go ahead and buy if you want a cheap good quality keyboard but if you are interested in gaming then look else where.
Published on 28 Sep 2006 by D. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 Standard Keyboard and Optical Mouse (Electronics)
Good product very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft optical desktop review, 30 May 2009
Very happy with this optical desktop. Having previously had a third party optical system this Microsoft one is considerably better. Ergonomically, both the keyboard and mouse are very good, and the fact that it is Microsoft means the keyboard offers many Windows shortcut keys that my previous one didn't; e.g. keys for calculator, mail, web etc.One very minor annoyance is that having now got a 'caps lock' indicator light, it is on the receiver which I cannot see when working. Battery life in both keyboard and mouse is much better than my previous system. Overall, very happy.

2.0 out of 5 stars microsoft nearly wireless mouse, 15 July 2009
Mrs. Jean Strassen "doodsville" (Anglesey, wales) - See all my reviews
I bought this to use for normal tasks in a room with other computers. From the start I had problems with the wireless interference from a Logitech mouse although this did not affect that mouse. Moving the transmitter I then had problems with a cordless phone. After three days and numerous visits to Microsoft the only solution has been to place the transmitter 6" from the mouse. It is also difficult to move unless you have a shiny mat because it is rough underneath. My Logitech mouse is ten times better

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but nasty..., 10 May 2006
I bought this set to go with my lovely new PC, I thought I was getting a real bargain...

... oh dear. How wrong I was.

It set up easily enough, but there on it all went down hill. The mouse wheel barely works, wobbling around and making a grating click. The mouse button clicks very loudly, which intially you might put down to me being a little fussy... but believe me, it will soon get on your nerves.
The connectivity is very hit and miss, with frequent periods of 'lag' where the mouse seems unresponsive for a while and you can do nothing with it. I often find myself clicking with frustration as I try to navigate the mouse to the icon I want and then stabbing at the icon with the mouse button, trying to convince it to work.

The Keyboard was also a bit of let down. Whilst it feels much more solidly built than the mouse, it's still somewhat unresponsive and suffers from the same 'lag' time. Also, the @ button and the " button have magically swapped positions for some reason best known to themselves.

Oh yes, and as for the touted six-month battery life span - a message appeared on my PC screen this morning, warning that the battery life in the mouse was low... and this was after only 6 hours of use with brand new energiser batteries!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Take care - this keyboard doesn't work for lots of people, 12 April 2009
Hugo Minney "hugie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It worked for a month and then stopped working - just out of returns date (Actually Amazon were brilliant and refunded). I re-read some of the one-star reviews and many people say the same thing - works for a while, stops, and any replacements don't work either. Probably has a problem with a wireless network (I ask you - computer keyboard and wireless network don't get on???!!!).
Buy some other manufacturer's wireless keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars IGNORE THE BAD REVIEWS !! ..., 24 Jan 2008
Mr. D. Jones "Hi I'm DAN." (Wales.) - See all my reviews
1. INSTALLATION: 10/10

the setup took less than a minute all you do is;
- install software
- plug in reciever
- press 3 buttons !

Done !!

2. Use: 10/10

ive had no problems using this, its been a lot easier typing and naviagting on the mouse then previouse mouse and keyboards !!

3. Looks: 10/10

Looks great

4. Design 9/10

keyboard is a little bulky but thats my only nag !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft 1000 keyboard, 8 April 2009
This keyboard and mouse are absolutly fine for general use. I do not game or do anything unusual so perhaps I am a little undemanding but what on earth do people expect for less than £25?Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 Standard Keyboard + Optical Mouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Great name , poor quality, 7 April 2009
On my second one of these now , home use only, only seem to last about 6 months before the keyboard starts freezing and you have to start typing very slowly for it to work (no, its not the batteries !) Wont purchase again :(
Very poor

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon are the best!!, 5 Jun 2006
S. J. Rose (London Uk) - See all my reviews
I ordered this item for my Mac Mini. The Mac Mini does not have PS/2 ports as used on the original 0x86 80's PC design which is still used today.

Essentially I was very frustrated at buying my Mac Mini Duo in Taipei, Taiwan (even though I paid only £456 for the best model. After rewiring the worldwide PSU block to a UK plug, I did not have bluetooth or USB keyboard and mouse to connect up. SO I couldn't really sue the Mac. However the supplied remote control meant I could at least use a DVD or CD.

Anyway after looking around I found the Microsoft Desktop 1000. I have used Microsoft Mice and Keyboards at work in a professional engineering environment and they are very good and reliable, but normally overprices. Alas for £20 this is a real bargain. The keyboard and mouse work perfectly.

What clinches the review is that I ordered this less than 72 hours ago over the weekend, and have received it already. I was so frustrated at not being able to use the Mac Mini. Other online retilers like ebuyer.com would charge you about £10 in postage fees for this kind of service. Well done Amazon, you really are better than most online retailers and your prices are better too!

Another Satisfied Amazon Customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard don't work at boot time, 3 Oct 2006
When my PC starts, I want to go in BOIS setup with "del" key, but this keyboard is not working. when winodws loads then keyboard and mouse work well. I want to know that how can keyboard works at the start up time of PC.