5.0 out of 5 stars Reduces flare

Published on 8 Oct 2010 by Steve A

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Reduces flare, 15 Jan 2011
L. Mitchell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Lens Hood ES-71II For EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens (Accessory)
The 50mm f/1.4 lens is known to be a little subject to flare and artifacts (more so than the much more expensive 50mm f/1.2 L lens). This hood helps greatly to reduce such flare. I took some photos of my daughter putting decorations on the tree before Xmas - the tree lights caused some flare spots and ruined quite a few of them. After putting the new hood on, the flare spots nearly all vanished - removing the filter helped even more. My suggestion: get a hood before a filter (unless it's one of the very best filters, in which case more expensive than this hood). I shoot in a lot of low-light situations, often with point sources of light (concerts etc.) - in my own experience with the 50mm f/1.4, the hood without a filter is the best set-up. It offers lens protection and can be reversed for convenient storage. Usual Canon high build quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but over priced, 8 Oct 2009
Andrew Johns (Taunton,UK) - See all my reviews
Ultimately it is a bit penny pinching of Canon not to include lens hoods with their lenses, but they don't and probably never will at this level.
This one works well and is highly recommended even if only to protect the delicate front zoomy bit. Overpriced but works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - I like it, 7 Mar 2012
I understand the limits of engineering, and the need for "acceptable level of tolerance"; however the hood I received was an incredibly tight fit on my lens. I ended up twisting the hood back and forth on the lens about a hundred times to try "wear and tear" it into a decent fit. It's now much better.

The lens hood I use most is on my 24-105mm f/4 lens; the hood on that has a positive "click" locking effect and the hood feels securely locked in place. In contrast, the hood for the 50mm f/1.4 seems to stay on by the mercy of friction.

Canon's newer hoods (à la 70-300mm L or 100mm L macro) have a much nicer matt finish. These old hoods show marks and scuffs very easily. The inside is a nice felt though, so that should stop reflections.

Overall, the hood is effective, improves the lens image quality (minimises flaring and improves contrast), and does precisely what it's meant to do. I like it a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shooting in the shade, 7 Oct 2010
Clearly I don't need to talk about lens hoods, you know what they're for. I mainly wanted to add the following:

I would give this 5, but on my EF 50mm f/1.4 it is just ever so slightly loose fitting. By contrast the lens hood on my L-series EF 24-105mm f/4 is very tight fitting and feels totally secure.

This, of course, could just be due to natural variation. Perhaps my hood is at the loose end of the tolerances of manufacture.

Regardless, the hood is excellent. It has the felt interior that you get on the L-series lenses, which is fantastic. This one also reverses, which is handy for sticking it away in my camera bag.

3.0 out of 5 stars In the hood, 8 Oct 2010
Steve A (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As with the rest of the world I feel that like other camera makers, Canon should be including this with the lens. After spending around 300 on a lens the least they can do is include a few pence worth of plastic. However they know that I and probably you, value what this thing does over how much it costs and so can charge the rather ridiculous price for it. I bought it and I'm glad I did (my lens is protected and I get less flare in my pictures) but I'm also left feeling a bit of a sucker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon ES-71II, 10 April 2009
P. Anfield (Scotland) - See all my reviews
As per other review for a lens hood, buy one, they do work and improve your photo's, especially when the sun's up and glansing the lens. The bayonet fitting is very quick to use. Good additional protection to the lens front when the camera is hanging off your neck!

5.0 out of 5 stars ES-71II Canon Lens Hood - Canon 50mm f/1.4, 14 April 2009
Maverick (London, England) - See all my reviews
As with most Canon kit you'd expect it to be good and it is. A well made product which fits easily and securely. Has a matt "felt" like interior to the hood which does not reflect light.

All of my lenses have the Canon hoods - they are useful when shooting when the sun is out or strong light in general keeping lens flares away. Not only that they do offer some moderate protection to your lens either from knocking it or anything blowing around. I wouldn't consider not having one personally.

Maybe expensive but you do get what you pay for, when you consider the cost of your lens it isn't that much. It's just a shame Canon don't supply them as standard with the lens itself (unless you get an L glass lens)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but Canon should provide it free with lenses., 27 Jun 2014
L. Jones "lj" (Spain) - See all my reviews
Excellent, as you'd expect from Canon. However, it's a pity you can't put stars for the product and, seperately, stars for the product maker, because if I could for them I'd take off a few stars for the extortionate price for what is, effectively, a bit of plastic. Come on Canon, it's about time you included hoods with your lenses, like Nikon etc. do! I haven't taken off a star though, because I don't want it to reflect on the product, which is very high quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 26 Jun 2014
Does the job perfectly with the felt lining inside being a nice feature to catch any fluff from getting on the lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hood for 50mm f1.4, 16 May 2014
Demetris Christodoulides "DeC" (Thessaloniki, GREECE) - See all my reviews
Great hood, excellent fitting instantly, no hassles, excellent finishing on the inside (makes the Chinese ebay knock-offs really laughable in comparison) and great quality / price overall. Only hope Canon would make the L-hoods more reasonably-priced as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›