4.0 out of 5 stars An honest review!
Published on 12 July 2005 by L. W. Bowler

3.0 out of 5 stars A fair attempt.
OK lets face it Mel B does not have the greatest voice in the music industry- it is therefore a tribute to say that she has managed to produce this distinctly average pop album.
1.Today- A good first single one of the better songs on the album. 8/10
2.Stay In Bed Days- An excellent upbeat pop song, a personal fave of mine. 9/10
3.Beautiful Girl- A strong...
Published on 7 July 2007 by Sam

4.0 out of 5 stars An honest review!, 12 July 2005
L. W. Bowler "Lee" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LA State of Mind [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
What can I say about this CD? Should I follow the usual critics and have a go at Melanie's rumoured reluctance to join the spice re-union, blab on about her past glories and failures? No is the simple answer! Her previous album 'Hot' didn't feel quite right for me, so as I begun to play this album I was pleasantly surprised by its direction and overall feel. It's a journey, full of summer sunshine, hope and lyrics that have come from the heart.
Today
The first single from the album. A song about positivity, the dawning of a new day with a feeling of new beginnings and dreams. The music is catchy, makes you bop your head, lovely string arrangements and Mel's voice is in fine form. 8/10

Stay in bed days
We all have these days, pull the covers back over your head and ignore the world for a day. Musically, I'd compare it to Sheryl Crow's sound, upbeat, full of guitars and melodic, plus the hand claps sound great!! 7/10
Beautiful girl
A beautiful ballad about her daughter Pheonix. Usually I shy away from Pop mum's songs about their kids (usually over sentimental and sickly) but this simple song hits all the right emotions and can easily be directed to a loved one of your own. I would liken this song to the Spice Girls song 'Goodbye'. 9/10
Music of the night (perdido)
I'm a sucker for latino tinged pop songs and this one is no exception. Salsa overload and shimmering all over the place. Uplifting, melodic and fun. Perfect summer song and one of my favourites. 10/10
If I had my life again
A song about no regrets, mid tempo style, gentle strumming guitars and piano led. Picks up in middle of the song but the song is neither great nor bad. Nice enough but nothing special. 5/10
In too deep
This song has a beautiful chorus and I don't know what it is about this song, but I love it. Has a wonderful piano solo and the vocals are lovely. Another upbeat song, which sounds organic and natural. 8/10
Sweet pleasure
The song starts with a wonderful 80s retro beat, has interesting vocal effects and is sultry and sensual. Not sure about the spoken versuses, it is possible to love the sound of a song but not enjoy the content that much? Guess I would prefer an instrumental version of the song. 5/10
L.A. state of mind
A summery, roof down on the car and heading for the beach song. Another likening to the Sheryl Crow sound. Great holiday song but living in Northern England, with mostly rain and heading for create jungles, the song doesn't relate well to me, but I guess provides a little escapism and describes another way of life for some people. 6/10
Say say say
My favourite song on the album, simplistic but so beautiful and easily relatable to relationships with special friends and loved ones. To me, this song has the flavour of a stripped down version of 2 become 1. 10/10
Bad bad girl
An 80's electro synth rock track that's 'in your face' and sounds like nothing else on the album, but variety being the spice of life it's more than welcome. Not a great song but enjoyable. 6/10
Hold on
The 'torch' song of the album. A song about self belief and determination. This could easily be one of those great Spice Girl's ballads. Again, simplistic in its arrangement and sound but with a soaring chorus and wonderful vocal from Melanie. 9/10

3.0 out of 5 stars A fair attempt., 7 July 2007
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
1.Today- A good first single one of the better songs on the album. 8/10
2.Stay In Bed Days- An excellent upbeat pop song, a personal fave of mine. 9/10
3.Beautiful Girl- A strong ballad with a simple melodic piano. 8/10
4.Music Of The Night- Another uptempo song with latin flavours. 7/10
5.If I Had My Life Again- A truly dross-filled song. Rubbish. 3/10
6.In Too Deep- Not as bad as the previous effort, but then again what could be. 6/10
7.Sweet Pleasure- Melanie talks her way through this song. 6/10
8.L.A. State of Mind- Almost recreating some of the brilliance of the first few tracks, but the chorus hampers this promising effort. 6.5/10
9.Say Say Say- A good ballad. 7/10
10.Bad Bad Girl- Mel's screechy vocals ruin this already average song. 4/10
11.Hold On- A stripped down affair, again so so cheesy. 5/10

Average Score- 6.3= 3stars. Overall this is not a bad album, but Mel really should not have included a couple of the songs on this album, as they really weaken it. Certainly not a classic, but then again it should not have sold as appallingly as it did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic,catchy,fun, 27 Jun. 2005
Beefer28 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: LA State of Mind (Audio CD)
Im so glad Mel B has released a 2nd independant album its long overdue, and the result is great. No more RnB that diddnt always work for her instead 11 catchy summery tinged tunes that are all easy on the ear.
Today is summery and catchy upbeat pop, Stay in bed days slightly rocky and upbeat (one of my faves) Beautifull girl is a catchy ballad,music of the night is fun salsary pop,the title track is a very catchy out and out pop tune whilst bad bad girl is fantstic 80's electronica on which mel sounds excellent. The others are all fun tracks well worth catching out. I recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars AN HONEST REVIEW, 4 Aug. 2007
This review is from: LA State of Mind (Audio CD)
PLEASE REMEMBER MELANIE DID NOT EANT TO PROMOTE THIS ALBUM SO IT WASN'T CONSIDERED AS A FLOP LIKE THE PERSON WHO DID THE REVIEW BELOW. IT DONE WELL WITH NO PROMOTION, AND BOY DIDN'T IT DESERVE IT?

Alot of people seem to dis a Spice Girl at a solo attempt, and to be honest you really shouldnt. This album is an absolulte gem and I personally love it. I'm not really into pop music, I'm quite a Punk / Acoustic fan, which this album is quite Acoustic.

Here is an honest review of the tracks.

TODAY: A proper feel good song, chilled out and relaxing. Simple beats. Melanie at her best. The downside is that this song only last for about 3 minutes, and I feel it's too good a song to end. 9 / 10.

STAY IN BED DAYS: An uptempo windows down and drive song... Another amazing song by Melanie. Her vocals have always been fantastic and on this song and all the rest you'll realise what a stunning singer she is. 8 / 10

BEAUTIFUL GIRL: A song for Phoneix, its a beautiful ballad and shows a different side to Melanie. Stunning. 10 / 10

MUSIC OF THE NIGHT (PERIDO): I personally ain't that keen on this track, it is a latin song but on the otherside it shows off Melanie's beautiful voice. People who like Latin songs will defintley love this, it is a happy song though and it is a grower (for me personally) 7 / 10

IF I HAD MY LIFE AGAIN: A song you would NOT expect for Melanie Brown! It's a beautiful ballad and you can really play this song whatever mood you in. It helps you put things into perspective. 10 / 10

IN TOO DEEP: An amazing summery mid tempo ballad. It is a gem, and a personal favourite. 9 / 10.

SWEET PLEASURE: I listened to this song once and I didnt like it. But the third time I loved it. Like Feel Me Now from Hot she does another talking song with a sung chours, quite 80's! 7 / 10

L.A STATE OF MIND: This is quite a rock and roll ballad but with again the Feel Good Factor. It is a grower, and you can see how happy Melanie was at that stage in her life. 8 / 10.

SAY, SAY, SAY: A beautiful ballad. A chilled out song. A perfect song for anyone who is a fan of the Spice Girl ballads. 10 / 10

BAD, BAD, GIRL: Go Melanie! Rock and Roll! This is like an 80's song again. And after hearing the other tracks on the album you will not expect this. But then again it fits perfectly! 8 / 10

HOLD ON: Where can I start, a beautiful ballad. Melanie Brown is the best singer out the Spice Girls. Melanie C is of course, but with Mel B she's soulful and dosen't scream out like Mel C (I'm knocking Mel C tho becuase her music is of a diffrent genre) But this is one of the best ballads by a Spice Girl ever. 10 / 10

5.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Review, 4 Aug. 2007
This review is from: LA State of Mind [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)

Here is an honest review of the tracks.

OVERALL THIS ALBUM IS WORTH A BUY. A CHILL OUT ALBUM WITH THE FEEL GOOD FACTOR. A FAN FOR FANS OF MELANIE, THE SPICE GIRLS, AND PEOPLE WHO LOVE FEEL FACTOR MUSIC. THE DVD IS 30 MINUTES LONG AND MELANIE DISCUSSES HOW SHE MOVED TO L.A AND WHAT HAS BEEN HAPENING.

IT'S DEFINTLEY WORTH A BUY AND AN ALBUM YOU CAN PLAY AGAIN, AND AGAIN!

The best album from a Spice Girl... PERIOD!

4.0 out of 5 stars melanie hits all the right notes!!!, 29 Jun. 2005
Mr. Nathan Armstrong - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LA State of Mind [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
after the rather disappointing "hot" album this is a true return to form for the former scary spice. Unfortunately in the current antispice climate it probably will go overlooked. The album opens with "today" the first single which flopped...but then did you ever hear or see it. Its a shimmery summer single and deserved to do a lot better than it did.
Other standout tracks are "music of the night" a spanish summer classic that could have been a single, "sweet pleasure" sexy vocals and all a la madonna, "bad bad girl" a return to the feisty scary we know and love, "la state of mind" think of putting the car roof down and letting summer in but in my mind "in too deep" is the classic from the album and if it was a spice girl song would go straight to no.1!!!! theres a few ballads some good the worst just ok but on the whole a fantastic album that deserves, on merit, to do well. Add it to collection if only to play while the sun shines!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Uplifting State of Mind, 7 May 2008
This review is from: LA State of Mind [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I finally got a hold of this. And to make it better, it's the CD+DVD edition that I bought, for a low price.

The most disappointing solo album from the Spice Girls in terms of sales; it does not mean it is the worst solo album from a former Spice Girl. With very little to zero promotion, the album performed poorly when it was released. Such a shame as the album is not bad at all.

Gone are the r'n'b uptempo songs that filled her first solo album "Hot". Acoustic tracks and ballads are very much present in "L.A. State of Mind". With the shift of dance tracks to slow tempo songs, a shift in topic and message of the songs come along as well.

Most of the songs have uplifting lyrics and music that will truly put a smile on your face (i.e., Today, In Too Deep, Hold On, L.A. State of Mind). Soft ballads If I Had My Life Again and Say, Say, Say really chugs your heart.

Finally, Lullaby and Feel Me Now (from her first album) are reborn in Beautiful Girl and Sweet Pleasure respectively.

L.A. State of Mind (the album) is like a rare gem. Only few have it, and those who do are very fortunate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melanie Brown is HOT, 17 Jun. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: LA State of Mind (Audio CD)
This album is much better than the first offering we had from Mel.
Here is the track listing.
1. Today
8. L.A. State Of Mind
9. Say Say Say
10. Bad Bad Girl
11. Hold On

Melanie's voice sounds fantastic on this album. My favourite song has to be Beautiful Girl.
A must for any spice fan

5.0 out of 5 stars a nice comeback, 21 July 2005
This review is from: LA State of Mind (Audio CD)
I don't know why this album isn't doing any better, I think it's a great album. It's nothing at all like mel's first one and I think that's refreshing, she's trying something new. All of the songs are good. Today, In Too Deep . LA State of Mind, and Say Say Say are all awesome songs. I do hope this album will pick up pace eventually, I just don't think people are gonna give it a try. It's a shame, it's a great album not to be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Today's the day that something great is going to happen..., 6 July 2005
Canuckfcuk (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LA State of Mind (Audio CD)
MelB finally releases her second solo album -- and it's about time! Gone, thank God, are the ridiculous attempts at American R&B that littered her first solo album 'Hot' and in their place we have some great pop/light-rock tunes to pass away the Summer.
Mel's vocals sound great and the production -- although a little poor -- somehow fit the mood and feel of the album.
The lyrics sometimes sound like the poetry of some suburban Grade 9 teenage girl, and Melanie's attempts at seduction ('Sweet, Sweet Pleasure') are embarrassing.
Other than that it's a great summer-pop album that is devoid of the super-cheese that is found in most summer-pop albums.
Hightlights: Today, In too Deep, Live My Life Again and Music of the Night.

LA State of Mind [CD + DVD]
LA State of Mind [CD + DVD] by Melanie B (Audio CD - 2009)