5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Good
This is thoroughly exciting stuff. Back in 2001, I bought Melody A.M. and have subsequently got it out every summer and given it a good listen but after four years, it was time for a follow-up.
In a time where some claim the 'death' of dance music, and where indie bands are invading dance festivals all over, groups like Royksopp are needed to keep the reputation of...
Published on 7 Jun 2005 by kdonn2410

1.0 out of 5 stars Are you getting a real Audio CD?
Just bought a used copy of this on "CD". Buyer beware! Does it have the "CD Audio" logo on the case? Or, like my copy, is it "EMI copy controlled"? If it's the latter, you might find that your CD player doesn't play it properly, with the music skipping very slightly every so often. Presumably, new editions of this album are on proper CD, rather...
Published 5 months ago by David Ryman

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, 15 July 2005
This review is from: The Understanding [2CD] (Audio CD)
After the massive appeal and subsequent success of Melody a.m. I didn't think it possible for Royksopp to follow up with an album that was anything less than perfect, or at least intriguing. Wrong! The Understanding lacks most of the things that made the first album so wonderful. Royksopp seem to have lost their ethereal touch replacing it with music that sounds reminiscent of early eighties disco, and where have all the intricate rhythms and weaving melodies gone? Maybe the band have moved on? At any rate, this album has - since I bought it - moved OFF my shelf. Disappointed, sorry guys.

1.0 out of 5 stars What am I missing ??, 6 July 2005
This review is from: The Understanding (Audio CD)
I am a massive music fan with over 600 albums in my collection and I am sorry to say that this offering from Royksopp is just awful. The first album was brilliantly put together and it's an album I still listen to in it's entirety and will do for years to come. I was so excited about this - I bought it the day it came out. What a massive, massive let down. If you like synthisized, computerised, trancey vocals ( a la Cher !!) then by all means you'll love this drivel. Otherwise steer clear, seriously. I have only ever returned 3 albums in my life for lack of satisfaction and this is one of them. I am reading the excellent "buy it now" reviews here with puzzled bemusement - I really am.

1.0 out of 5 stars Instantly forgettable, 5 Dec 2005
This review is from: The Understanding (Audio CD)
I was really looking forward to this release after enjoying Melody AM so much. What a massive dissapointment - instantly forgettable tracks that really all sound the same even after a few listenings to the whole album. The instrumental tracks are really the only redeaming feature. For some reason, I find the "whispering" vocal style really gets on my nerves. This one is destined for the bargain bucket I'm afraid.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Big Disappointment, 9 July 2005
This review is from: The Understanding (Audio CD)
I agree with a couple of the reviews listed here. Firstly I was annoyed to have brought the single cd album when I find there is a two disc limited edition secondly I was just disappointed with the album in general. Melody AM was brilliant, simple more melodically based with greater emphasis on mood I felt. This album really does not sound anything like Royksopp and that I think is a shame. This does not feel like a progression, nor a step back, but a step somewhere else. There are some good tunes on here, Only This Moment and Dead to the World feel more like the Royksopp of old, but the rest of the album seems to bypass your ears without leaving its mark.
Advice to new buyers of Royksopp, see what you think. To people who own Melody AM, maybe borrow it from a friend, its not really what you're expecting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, not great!, 6 July 2005
This review is from: The Understanding (Audio CD)
Like everyone else, I was eagerly awaiting the a second Royksopp Album due to the fact that their debut was so gracefully simple yet brilliant. I'm afraid to say the second album disappoints. It contains one or two excellent tracks which fit snugly into the Royskopp niche but the other efforts are just plain boring. Royksopp's progression on this album is obvious but they appear to forgotten the formula which made 'Melody AM' so successful. Their ambient soundscapes and delicate drum programming have been lost amid dreary vocals and uninspiring synth chords. Where Melody AM was a gentle blend of chill out sounds and thumping feet stompers, the tracks on this album kind of make you feel stuck between wanting to get up and dance or falling asleep....strictly for dedicated Royskopp fans....

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 12 Aug 2005
M. Thompson "Xerxes" (Crumlin, Antrim Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Understanding [2CD] (Audio CD)
A truly disappointing effort. Not a patch on Melody AM. I hoped the CD would grow on me with listening but instead I now hate it more - it now resides in the car glove box. Only 2 listenable tracks number 7 and ... I forget the other one - yes its that good. Better listening to the much more inventive Boards of Canada.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little norwegian gem and classic, 8 July 2005
This review is from: The Understanding [2CD] (Audio CD)
i'm alan partridge and i think this is a wonderful little gem well worth listening to! it certainly beats listening to the electric light orchestra!everyone from radio norwich agrees that its a real belter of an album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up, 15 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Understanding (Audio CD)
The only reason 'The Understanding' didn't get 5 stars was because it has a couple of bad tracks on it, but the tracks that are good, they are realy good.
What impressed me the most were 'What else is there' and the single 'only this moment' which are two excellent tracks. I also like 'Alpha male' and 'dead to the world'.
But i would have to say I'm disappointed with '49 percent', it is too much like a garage track for me, but it may grow

The Understanding
The Understanding by Royksopp (Audio CD - 2005)