2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 10 Feb 2006
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Charlie & The Chocolate Factory - Wonka's Magical Chocolate Factory (Toy)
I've never seen a toy take so many AA batteries (8, thankfully supplied), and like a previous reviewer I was concerned that you have to use a screwdriver to dismantle the unit to clean it.

That aside, it takes nearly 10 minutes to heat up the unit, then another 3 to melt an amount of chocolate that will only fill 1.5 of the moulds... cue waiting another 3 minutes for next batch, and so on ad infinitum, or until you have eaten too many chocolate chips while waiting and feel sick. The children on the box look beatific, surrounded by mounds of chocolates... we managed to make 10 in about an hour.

I was left to clean up, which wasn't fun in the slightest and I had to use a toothbrush to clean out the inside of the melting chamber. The chocolate moulds are very good but next time I think I will heat chocolate in a pan and let my son spoon it directly into the moulds, thereby bypassing over an hour of tedium.

3.0 out of 5 stars Child's Delight, Parent's Nightmare, 3 Jan 2006
By A Customer
If only I had stopped to think about this properly before I bought it, instead of listening to the unsubtle hints of my daughter, then I might never have succumbed to buying this.
The idea is great. Melted chocolate can be poured into moulds to make all sorts of little chocolate shapes. However, what the blurb doesn't explain clearly until it is too late and Christmas Day has arrived and the shops are shut, is that YOU have to provide the chocolate chips that are needed. You cannot use ordinary chunks of your favourite chocolate.
The other thing that isn't made clear is that to clean the thing, you need to open it up with a screwdriver, removing four screws to clean out the inside. I don't believe any childs toy should require a screwdriver to take it apart for cleaning - this is a big NO-NO as far as I am concerned.
The other No-No is not to let your sister put chunks of your favourite chocolate into the machine. It doesn't melt. It jams up the inside, and then you spend two hours cleaning it.
So, nice idea but shame about the lack of supplies with the factory and shame about the dreadful cleaning!

3.0 out of 5 stars Never-ending Gobstopper, 9 Oct 2005
Perhaps the manufacturer meant to write "Everlasting Gobstopper"? (Ignore my stars.)