5.0 out of 5 stars 50mg morning and night, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Nature's Way 5-HTP 60 Tablets (Personal Care)
This little tablet is pretty amazing. I started taking it to help with mood slumps as a result of hormonal imbalance.
I never expected it to work as well as it has. (I'm not sure if its working even better because I take Potassium as well, because Potassium helps you to feel a lot calmer too.)

I've tried taking anti-depressants in the past and they were rubbish. Stuff aimed only at your brain normally wears off quite quickly.

These tablets however target the stomach and intestines area, where you normally make 95% of the feel-good neurotransmitter called Serotonin, and help you to make more. So you get an all over improvement in wellbeing, as Serotonin improves performance of a lot of the functions of the body e.g. peristalsis.

I actually take this tablet morning and night, and at lunch time I take Rhodiola Rosea. 5-HTP helps you to manufacture Serotonin, whereas Rhodiola slows down its destruction, once its made.
So the two go well together.

First thing I noticed is I smile a lot more, laugh more easily, feel generally calmer and happier. I sleep like a log and have much better concentration. This is a very noticeable change in me and it really helps me to deal with stress and people better.

Its marketed in a lot of places as 'The happy pill' and quite a few people take it when they're coming down from mind-benders.

I'm going to keep taking them because I'm in a much better place now...

Update 16 Jan 2014:
My dosage for this product dropped to once a day, one hour before going to sleep. I recently had an adrenal crash that was effectively sorted out with 500mg dose of Pantothenic Acid twice a day. Pantothenic Acid nourishes the adrenals and helps them to make the rate-limiting neurotransmitters e.g. adrenaline, norepinephrine and dopamine. As I was having to cope with considerable stress, my husband suggested I take 5-htp twice a day again. I did that and all I can say is that I ended up having aggressive outbursts. This was really strange and I finally worked out it was because B5 and this stuff, are just not meant to be bed-fellows. The other thing the combination of the two did was give me the most awful insomnia. Phew, never again. (Should mention I also take Tyrosine).

Update 17 Jan 2014:
I've found out that 5-HTP actually requires B5 for its first phase of its conversion into serotonin. However, long term use of 5-htp can reduce dopamine levels. Well there you have it, somewhere between those two my problem possibly resides. Since I stopped taking 5-htp with the B5, my mood has improved. The problem only surfaced once I took 1000mg dose of B5, for migraine and adrenal exhaustion. Half the dose, in the mornings did not seem to conflict with 5-htp in the evenings.

Update 28 Feb 2014:
Ooh, have to report serious contra-indication on taking 5-HTP long term: it turns out that it actually promotes Candida Albicans overgrowth! Which is what I am suffering from now. I had stepped up my 5-HTP consumption to every day, due to my very stressful occurrences last year and now it looks like I'm paying for it? I was going over and over how this happened, what on earth did I to cause this pretty horrible problem, and it turns out 5-HTP is in there. However, this doesn't mean I'm not going to take it anymore, as I think it is much better than anything Big Pharma hands out. But it does mean that in furture I will only take it after gastrointestinal problems e.g. big clear outs, etc. The other thing is that 5-HTP can also make stressed-out adrenals pump out more cortisol and norepinephrine than really they feel able to. Conclusion: too much of a good thing is usually bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems too good to be true, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: Nature's Way 5-HTP 60 Tablets (Personal Care)
I started taking this (and something called GABA, plus a lot of vitamins esp calcium and magnesium, and a change to a high protein diet) after reading a book by Julia Ross, The Mood Cure. Started reading the book because I was all stressed out at work, couldn't sleep, and had a massive panic attack. Honestly thought I was having a heart attack, it was so sudden and painful. To cut a long story short, she recommended this stuff. I cannot believe the difference it's made, in a positive way, to my life. Sleeping better, not biting the heads off my work colleagues, enjoying life. It's as if a light bulb switched on and I'm myself again. Work still stinks, but I'm much better able to cope with it. Note: There's a warning in the book on 5-HTP, don't take it if you have low blood pressure, but otherwise it seems to work like prozac without the side effects. Read the book!

The Mood Cure: Take Charge of Your Emotions in 24 Hours Using Food and Supplements

5.0 out of 5 stars IS what it is and works, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Nature's Way 5-HTP 60 Tablets (Personal Care)
I have read a lot of reviews on HTP and a lot say " works really well i woke up laughing!" etc. etc. Well these people probably were just having a bad week and not really really depressed. I have been using these tablets now for two months and i would say they do work but they need time to work. They are not a miracle cure but a slow gradual change to the chemical balance in the brain. So you wont be laughing uncontrollably nor will you have bags of energy but over the months you will find that these tablets work and chill you out.

ARRAY(0xa65bc06c)