5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album...
I bought this album after only hearing Blue Orchid and The Nurse, and also because i am a huge White Stripes fan.
The whole album is not dissapointing in the least. There has been doubt previous to the release after Jack White stated that he didn't much use his guitar on the album, but none of these people had heard the album.
Many were put off by Blue Orchid,...
Published on 9 Jun 2005 by chanthacic

3.0 out of 5 stars Satan's works
I didn't like this anywhere near as much as 'Elephant', which I played to death in 2005. More disjointed and with fewer standout tracks; those that do make the grade are 'As Ugly as I Seem' and 'Passive Manipulation', whilst 'Nurse' and 'Blue Orchid' aren't too bad. Overall better than its appalling follow-up 'Icky Thump', where I suspect Jack and Meg are simply taking...
Published on 9 May 2009 by Captain Pugwash

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A glorious fifth outing of an impeccable career., 6 Jun 2005
This review is from: Get Behind Me Satan (Audio CD)
Fantastic album. A creative tour de force. A band at the peak of their powers, flexing their muscles and stretching their boundaries. Don't impose yours on them with narrow expectations.
Listeners inevitably baulk when a favourite artist steers their ship in an unexpected direction. Have Radiohead been forgiven for Kid A and Amnesia yet? But really "Get Behind Me Satan" is not so different from the preceding albums. Listen a little harder. It's just a little broader, a bit more imaginative, a more challenging palette. The addition of marimba and piano shouldn't really be so difficult to swallow surely?
Interesting that it's released the same week as a new "Coldplay" album. I'd be amazed if anyone is either surprised with that or disappointed by it. And that, music lovers, is the whole point ...
A glorious fifth outing of an impeccable career. Take up Jack and Meg's challenge, be disappointed if you must, then be enthralled and fall in love with the Stripes all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 9 Jun 2005
This review is from: Get Behind Me Satan (Audio CD)
The new White Stripes album is brilliant. Reviews have criticised Jack for seeming to desert his guitar for a lot of the album, and I admit, I do miss it a bit too. However, the presence of the piano does not take away from the fact that this is still an original, great album that all White Stripes fans should love. I love all the tracks particularly 'little ghost' which has a hotel yorba kind of feel about it.
Go out and buy it now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars White Stripes change again, 10 Aug 2005
This review is from: Get Behind Me Satan (Audio CD)
Yet another breakaway album from the Detroit duo, Get behind me Satan is a surprise but not an unwelcome one.
From the single preview "Blue orchid" I assume that this would be a heavier album but I could not be more wrong. The average track upon it sounds like nothing the white stripes have done before.
The big surprise was "Little ghost" which sounds as though it really should be played upon the banjo. The other tracks are not what you would expect however they all work perfectly and seem to fit with the white stripes style.
But I did discover yet another difference in "Red Ram" this like "Blue orchid" is heavier but more like the classic "Seven nation Army" however there are key differences to both, despite that it works perfectly and fits in with the rest of the album.
An overall great album and much better than most of the crap you will find.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 6 Jun 2005
This review is from: Get Behind Me Satan (Audio CD)
I've been waiting about 2 years for this. And on the way home from school I did! This is a classic return to form. And they have gone in a different direction. They've experimented alot more than they did with the previous minimalist ones. This one uses a variety of instruments and styles. For example they use the xylophone which comes of really well. Piano's are also featured heavily throughout. But these changes should definately be praised. It makes them alot more dynamic and just generally cooler. I'm glad to see Meg singing again, as I loved cold cold night on Elephant. You should buy this over coldplay or the Tears as i got them as well and this one is much better seconded to the Tears. Go for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, very good, 7 Jun 2005
This review is from: Get Behind Me Satan (Audio CD)
This, for me is not as good as elephant or de stijl, but is better then there other 2 efforts; white blood cells + white stripes. There has been a lot of talk about the lack of electric guitar on this album, but frankly, it doesn't make too much of a difference. When listening to G.B.M.S. i am reminded of the w.s's second album, de stijl. that was full of piano and acoustic guitar, but didn't stop it being brilliant. This is similar; not a lot of electric guitar thrashing but some very intimate moments and of course, great song-writing from jack. Highlights for me are 'forever for me' 'denial twist' and 'take take take', but they're all very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confounding expectations, 26 Jun 2005
katy_goga (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Behind Me Satan (Audio CD)
This record surprised me. I am a fan of the White Stripes, and awaited this new album with anticipation. I knew it was going to be something of a departure from their previous albums, but was still surprised not to love it straight away. Even Blue Orchid took a few plays for me to get into. But it's well worth the effort - this is a grower of an album. The standout tracks for me are My Doorbell (instantly hooked on this one - very catchy) and Passive Manipulation (charmingly sung by Meg), but I now love them all. It's refreshing to hear more piano-based songs and quiet ballads as well as a couple of tracks heavy on the electric guitar - on this album I actually prefer the former. And as far as comments from another reviewer about Meg being an "extremely untalented drummer" go - technical expertise is not the point! You need to have more than just a surface interest in music to appreciate this album. In conclusion: intriguing and ultimately beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marimba!, 21 Jun 2005
A. Busby "buzzers4" (Canterbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Behind Me Satan (Audio CD)
Get Behind Me Satan is a change of tack for the White Stripes. I was expecting it to follow the example of Blue Orchid, but it doesn't. It twists and turns, and each track gives you something new.
Blue Orchid, the opener and first single, is well known to everyone, and opens the album at a brilliant pace. All albums should have a first track as good as this!
The Nurse is an odd fish. It sounds like Jack is playing the Xylophone (turns out it's actually a Marimba) and Meg is beating him at random intervals with a hammer. I was very worried when I first heard this, it sounded extremely wierd, but I'm pleased to say it's a grower.
My Doorbell is classic Stripes. Fantastic, instant hit. I love this song!
Forever For Her is different again. Pianos galore and not too bad for it. A very strong track.
Little Ghost is again odd. You probably won't like this at first, with some odd vocal harmonising at the end. The lyrics are wierd, but it's grown on me so it's now one of my favourite tracks.
Most people say that the Denial Twist is the best track of the album, but even though it's quite good there are better tracks here.
White Moon starts off softly and grows towards the end of the track. It seems to carry on the ghost theme of the album. It's not brilliant.
Instinct Blues is BRILLIANT. Jack finds his guitar again, and the song is all the better for it. This song reminds me of the Black Keys.
Passive Manipulation is the Meg-led short track in the middle of the album. It's difficult not to like this track. Its a breath of fresh air, breaks up Instinct Blues and Take, Take, Take.
The lyrics on Take, Take, Take are quality. And musically, it's a pretty strong track too. Very good.
As Ugly as I Seem comes out of nowhere. Very quiet, after the previous track it's very easy to overlook this one, but don't. Listen to it on its own and you'll appreciate it a lot more.
For wierd use of instruments, look no further than Red Rain. It opens with a triangle, but then breaks into a bout of tourtured, angry guitar. Fairly good, not the best track, but not the worst either.
I'm Lonely is a fantastic closing track, but the lyrics could raise a few questions.
If you like the White Stripes, and you haven't bought this record, you really should. You can trust Jack and Meg to come up with something odd but not make a dog's dinner of it. This album succeeds. Trust them, they know what they're doing.
And if you've just skipped through the review (and let's face it, it was too long) I didn't like this album when I first heard it, but it grew on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly different, 7 July 2005
This review is from: Get Behind Me Satan (Audio CD)
When I opened this up as a birthday present i was excited. I fired up my CD player expecting another 'Elephant',what I got was significantly different. I can only say that on the first listen I was dissapointed, for the unexpecting ear it can be easy to dismiss the true excellence of this album. After 3 listens I was completely hooked. Jack White's vocals and guitar work (although less of this is seen in this album than previous outings) are excellent, while Meg White's drums remain... let's just say cymbally.
The album gets off to an excellent start with 'Blue Orchid'. Despite cming to a fairly abrupt end the two and a half minutes will have you singing along in an attempeted falsetto. The guitar riff in this can be counted as one of the stripes best, however - to the dismay of some - it is one of the few on the album.
In Get Behind me Satan Jack decides to lay his guitar down for the most part in favour of the piano. This in by no means makes them bad songs, some of the highlights of the album - 'My Doorbell', 'The Denial Twist' and 'Take, Take, Take' follow this vein. Most of the songs maintain a funky, bluesy feel to them, while some are plainly 'White Stripes Weird'.
'The Nurse'with its jangling marimba and seemingly random drum smashes, 'Little Ghost'inbred country folk barn-dance-esquething with both meg and jack singing in questionable harmony and 'Passive Manipulation' a (thank god) 30 second track of Meg singing cringeworthingly will put most non-Stripes fans (and some loyal fans) off straight away. However, trust me they will grow on you until you're humming them all day long.
The obvious standout song is 'instinct blues', this is 'Get Behind me Satans' Ball and Biscuit, simply a fantastic heavy blues jam session that shows that Jack's love of the guitar hasn't faded. You will have this track on repeat in a word it rocks.
For their fifth album The white stripes still manage to amintain a fresh, unusual sound that will have most people humming along with. While there are no obvious 'Seven Nation armys' or 'fell in love with a girls' the overall quality of this album is exceptional

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rock Album Since Physical Grafitti, 21 Jun 2005
This review is from: Get Behind Me Satan (Audio CD)
This is awesome. Every song is a classic. The first time I listened to it, the middle half a dozen songs didn't really click. But trust me, they all grow on you to the point where at least one of them is constantly being sung in my head.
The Nurse is totally unique. I have never heard anything like it. As Ugly As I seem is beautiful. All totally original - JW has turned into one of the greatest songwriters of the last 40 years.
Do yourselves a favour, take yer Coldplay CD back to Woolies, get a tenner back from the cashier and buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic Experimental/concept album!!!!, 7 Jun 2005
dodd (england is where i'm from, if you really care that much!!!!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Behind Me Satan (Audio CD)
the best album by the stripey pair by far, each song takes you another fantastical adventure of the mind of jack and meg.
Little ghost is the new hyme of the world (or should be)
take, take, take is a brilliant brilliant brilliant song you need the album for just this track it so clever and use very clever thing, listening is believeing
the denial twist is so funky i'm doing a dance to it as i write this, oh yea it rocks very hard
the nurse is a very brave attempt by the pair a very modern jazz/rock fusion, the song is like marmite (you hate it or love it)
and what can i say finally about blue orchid the track which sets the scene for the whole album, it so good, listen to it now i comand you go............stop reading go listening
I know i haven't commented on every track on get behind me satan but the truth is too tried and rocked up to do so.. so bye and go bye it now from this site and pay for i 1st class because it worth it trust me!!!!
sorry if the spelling is a bit rubbish i can't spell to save me life.
bye see you whenever hope you enjoyed it
dodd:)
you've gotta die of something so it might as well be this!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Get Behind Me Satan
Get Behind Me Satan by The White Stripes (Audio CD - 2005)