X&y

5.0 out of 5 stars Not immediately appealing but grows on you
Published on 19 Jan. 2006 by Bill Morris

2.0 out of 5 stars More of the same from the ultimate in bland dad-rock
Coldplay can sometimes seem very good when you listen to one of their singles in isolation: several of the songs that they've recorded over the years are quite inventive in their melodies, use of instruments etc and have decent enough lyrics. But don't be deceived! Buying an album because of one track is usually a mistake - and so it proves here.

As with their...
Published on 22 Sept. 2012 by A long term FM fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Not immediately appealing but grows on you, 19 Jan. 2006
Bill Morris "Jazz Dragon" (St. Albans, Herts England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
This is not the kind of CD where you listen to it first time and are blown away. This is the kind of CD that you listen to again and again, and gradually more and more of the tracks appeal to you, until you just think, "Hey, this is actually a really good album." Almost all of the tracks have at least one part which you remember even after it has stopped playing, and that is where Coldplay display their subtle mastery. In fact, if I had to pick one word to describe X&Y, it would be the world subtle. The tracks have so many threads that you can concentrate on one part of the song each time you listen (if that floats your boat) or you can just familiarize yourself with the feel of the song.
I didn't like this album when I first listened to it, all except for one track - White Shadows. This one did grab me, possibly because it is upbeat right from the beginning. It's a really nice composition, despite the fact that the words make no sense.
I then heard Talk in a Gap store and was humming the tune all day. When I got back I listened to it more often, and also gave Fix You a go too. Fix You is a very soulful song, with a simple tune that is nevertheless sweet.
I think more thoughtful people will enjoy this album, although those other oh-so-shallow Coldplay fans can come too. I really hope you'll like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My hands-down favourite Coldplay album!, 15 May 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
'X&Y' is one of those few albums that I'm able to play it is entirety from start to finish, I still regard it as Coldplay's best album. If ever I require music to relax me - I always turn to this one.

It only took me one listen to become absorbed in this album, with brilliant songs, beautiful lyrics and excellent electric guitar work which became more prominent in this, their third album.

With so many positive (and surprisingly quite a few one star) reviews already for this album, I can probably only mirror what others have said, but I would strongly encourage anyone to buy 'X&Y'. My personal favourite tracks though are 'White Shadows', 'The Hardest Part', 'Talk', the latter was rightly released as a single as was the middle, strangely enough though, it failed to chart. After almost ten years, this is still a stunning album from a great band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alright, so it's not quite OK Computer....., 7 Jun. 2005
Peter Wilson (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
Those of you who haven't listened to this album just yet are in for a real treat!
As others have hinted, on first hearing perhaps only 2 or 3 songs will catch your ear - For me it was "Square One" and "Fix you". At first I grew concerned that this might be an album just to cherry-pick tracks off - but then the thought that a Coldplay album wouldn't have any longevity began to plague me and I went back and did what the Chris and the lads wanted us to do - Listen to the WHOLE album. So I did.... and did again.....and again. What started out as a labour of love on my part soon blossomed into a love affair and then an infatuation that is not likely to dissolve easily.
So, don't pay too much attention to the serial knockers who have plainly been saving up their unwarranted bile for the last 2 or 3 years to serve up cold and not very convincingly. This is an easy album to turn ones nose up at if you've got a very dull or rusty axe to grind. But you don't have to buy into that "Fair Trade" thing or start sponsoring animal welfare charities, or whatever to enjoy this music. My ears don't tell me lies - they convince me time and time again that Coldplay are one of the few current active song-writing groups who make music that I could live with 24/7. It may be glib to say so but their music is truly becoming the soundtrack to many of our lives....
So go on, take that step of faith and invest in what was thought to be their "difficult 3rd album". You may have tired of "Yellow" by now - I have a feeling that you won't be tiring of this slow burning beauty for many years to come.

2.0 out of 5 stars More of the same from the ultimate in bland dad-rock, 22 Sept. 2012
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)

As with their other albums, it lacks variety. Within the space of a few tracks - many of which seem almost indistinguishable - my opinion of this one had gone from "pretty good" to "sort of ok" to "getting rather dull now" to "i'm never going to try listening to the whole album in one go again".

And I may be in a minority here but, after a couple of tracks, Chris Martin's whiny vocals REALLY start to annoy me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coldplay pull it off again, 2 Feb. 2006
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
Coldplay had a great challenge presented to them when they began working on this, their third album. They had great expectations after their stunning debut 'Parachutes' and their subsequent smash hit 'A Rush of Blood to the Head'. The moment the first notes of 'Square One' sound in the air you begin to realise that Coldplay have once again created a great album, along with a unique new 'sci-fi' sound. Although all of this album is marvelous the high points include 'White Shadows', 'Talk', 'The Hardest Part' and the hidden track 'Till Kingdom Come'. This album is a must have for any coldplay fan and anybody else with any degree of musical appreciation should also give it a listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars X&Y, 27 Jun. 2005
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
The best songs on Parachutes and A Rush of Blood To The Head were the simple ones and the recognisable ones. Yellow. The Scientist. Amsterdam is one of my favourite songs ever. Trouble. Clocks. Everything's Not Lost. Green Eyes. Pretty much every song on Parachutes then. The two I hate most on a ARoBttH, the two i skip past most, are the ones that go against that winning Coldplay formula and use synths, Daylight and A Whisper. For their third album, X&Y, Coldplay have decided to use those synths more expansively. And it does work a lot better than A Whisper. The title track for example, can only be described as beautiful, reminiscent of the title track on ARoBttH, both choruses soar. But in my opinion White Shadows is a very forced song, redeeming itself near the end. And I think those are two important points on this album, there are three songs i only listen to for one particular moment; A Message (and i love you please come home), otherwise an overemotional soppy song, Twisted Logic (you'll go backwards etc.) and White Shadows (answer now it's what I need etc.), and that's not a good basis to listen to a song. The other point is the lyrics. The Scientist's lyrics especially sounded effortless and natural, on moments you'll find that here, but for the most part they sound a bit forced. And why shouldn't they? The member's of Coldplay have enjoyed so much success there's nothing particularly heartbreaking to write. In fact the best song is about Gwyneth Paltrow getting over her dad's death or something, proving that Coldplay still need inspiration to write an outstanding song. There are only two songs on here that I love, and they are Fix You and the "hidden track" Till Kingdom Come, and they wouldn't be out of place in ARoBttH. As I said before, the best songs are simple. And that's what those two are. A lot of negative things have been said in this review, but this is still an absolutely outstanding album, if this hadn't been Coldplay's third album it would have been a masterpiece. I think this is Coldplay experimenting with music, getting comfortable with it. I'm wrong of course, because Chris Martin says he never hopes to top this. But whatever, I think next album their talents will come together and that will be their true masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars x&y, 1 Jun. 2005
Mr. M. Walsh - See all my reviews
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
coldplay gave a commendable grainy debut album when they emerged in 2000 as young ballad hopefuls. then the world started blowing up and the follow-up 'a rush of blood to the head' a couple of years later improved the overall sound of coldplay as their vitality stakes meant they were ' a band for the people'.
so the pressure in 05 for third lp 'x&y' is gargantuan. from the artwork alone (and title) it seemed the band wanted to do a radiohead and rely on electronics to experiment with their sound. on the other hand, more of the same could surely be a good idea... as keane continue to offer more pedestrian output.
neither of these is the case. coldplay are still epic-sounding as chris martin doubles up his voice as he sings ''lights will guide your home and ignite your bones'' in the tearful, gorgeous and exquisite track 'fix you'.
opener 'square one' and the layered production of 'twisted logic' show the band dabbling with soundscapes to propel their effect twofold. media talks of comparisons with kraftwerk and even the beatles are tiresome, as coldplay have once again proved to be unique and in a league of their own.
and on music fan chatrooms all over the web, people criticize coldplay as boring, these people cannot be blamed as coldplay cannot be dinner party music anymore, if it packs a punch then you'll know about it. if not, then you're simply missing out.
''i could write a song 100 miles long. that's where i belong and you belong with me'' sings chris martin on the superb and dreamy 'swallowed in the sea'. need a better invitation to get this? thought not.
one last thing...please do not be the band's last...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but no way a classic, 30 Jun. 2005
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, I like Coldplay. A Rush Of Blood To The Head is a wonderful album with some magical moments but unfortunetly the magical moments are few & far between on X & Y. It's almost as if they're trying to hard, where as we all know it's the simple songs which work best for Coldplay. I've heard much praise thrown at this album by various critics but have they forgotten real classics such as OK Computer, Achtung Baby, Morning Glory, Nevermind? These are albums which have stood the test of time. Yes X & Y will sell lots of copies but you can't help feeling that in a couple of years time, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

4.0 out of 5 stars hauntingly beautiful, surprisingly uplifting, 1 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
Now I'm a full-time Mum and "don't get out much", I find myself in an '80's void, tending to buy only the albums I missed out on buying in my late teens and twenties. Sad, but true.
However, this all changed when I saw the Coldplay set on Live8 a few weeks back. I had of course heard of the band (and sadly knew more about the fact that the lead singer had a baby with Gwyneth Paltrow, and they had named the baby 'Apple'...). I found I was moved by the lyrics, and felt I must buy the album. I am so glad that I did.
I'm not very good at all the jargon that goes with album reviews I read in newspapers. This is a beautiful album, and surprisingly uplifting. I play it when relaxing, when the kids are screaming and driving me mad, when I need a lift as well as when I'm slowing down. It's great, buy it. I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars it's no Ok Computer though, 6 Jun. 2005
jimmy (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
Admittedly, its no Ok Computer. Despite its faults however, its a step forward for a band so usually slated by critcs for being popular.
I thouroughly enjoyed what seems to be a heavy reliance upon electronics and sampling, it most certainly shows signs of development. Chris Martins voice sounds incredible, although parts of the album do become slightly tiresome. Much of the guitar work is very similar, and truly great piano-led songs like "Trouble" and "The Scientist" have disappeared from this album.
Best song? Most probably the opener, "Square One", with its proggy guitar sound and dance-like rhythms.
To be honest, "Fix You" isnt a bad song, its just nothing outstanding, and very, very average coldplay. it presses all the right buttons with its build-up and explosive ending (which is very reminiscient of "Amsterdam") It almost doesnt fit on the album.
Its not a bad album. I think the music press and Chris Martin have built it up to much, with their talk of writng so many songs and scrapping so many songs. go and buy it, see for yourself.

X&y
X&y by Coldplay (Audio CD - 2006)