4.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, shame about record company, 30 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Then & Now (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Nik since day one, and have bought all his albums from the hits to the later years. The quality of his music and songwriting gets better and better. I understand that this record was a chance to get back onto a main record label and I know he appologies to fans like me who will have bought half of this material many times over but this was the only way for him to do it. (Check out his website [...])
The new tracks and the songs from his last 2 albums "15 minutes" and "To Be Frank" are the best and well worth buying just for them. What I am surprised by is the poor quality of the editing by the record company. Many of the early hits have been slightly edited for time, fading out 10 to 20 seconds early, with the exception of Nobody Knows (an excellent track) which has been butchered by nearly one and a half minutes!!!!
It would have been good to have had more sleeve notes on the music as well. This would have been a great opportunity to do the job well but sadly they were a bit slap dash. This goes for the DVD as well, which isn't the same full track listing or the original hits, but a 10 track copy of the European release which was call "The Universal Masters". It would have been great to finally have a DVD of all his videos as they are quite hard to find.
It's great to see Nik back and I hope he gets to record a new full album of material on the back of this.
This CD is great as a introduction to someone new to his music as it covers all periods, and a must for old fans who want the new material. If you really want the old stuff, suggest you choose one of the many cheaper compilations available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something old, something wonderfully new!, 22 Jun 2005
This review is from: Then & Now (Audio CD)
Nik Kershaw is the only musician that gives me immediate goosebumps when I hear his new stuff, it is always that good. The later 15 minutes and To Be Frank albums were filled with such songs and I am amazed this guy has not received the support he deserves.
Then and Now is a collection of Nik's Hits that you love and some fresh music as well. I understand this CD is an attempt to get this deserving musician back into the limelight. I am sure he could again be a superstar, even if this is not what he wants for himself and I am also well aware that this guy nearly threw it all in out of frustration many times in recent years - thank goodness he didn't.
If you steer away from Nik's music as it immediately conjures up memories of 1980's synthesisers and drum machines, then do yourself a favour and get "15 minutes", "To Be Frank" and this new cd, "Then and Now". His latest style is quality Pop Rock along with his incredible, sometimes haunting melodies. Along with the quality musicians he utilises, his latest cd's are, indeed, winners - although they do not get the airplay they deserve. Perhaps the pundits have his 1980's big-hair image implanted firmly in their brains??
I am listening to "Cloud Nine" as I write and I believe Nik has another hit on his hands (is that Paul Young singing in there somewhere??), as with "Times Like These" (which takes a little time to get used to the verse but the chorus is fabulous) and "What it Is" has hints of "Wouldn't It Be Good" which can't be a bad thing, can it? "Dangerous Eyes" reminds me of the previous hit "Wounded" although with a different feel.
Buy and Enjoy - something old and something wonderfully new from a very talented Nik Kershaw!
"...it's times like these I wish I could get on my knees and somehow put my arms around around the world." Beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nik deserves more recognition..., 27 Jun 2005
M. Matthews "mikematt101" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Then & Now (Audio CD)
This is a difficult CD for me to review because, as a big fan of Nicholas David Kershaw, I already have copies of most of these tracks on CD, and the 'oldies' that I don't possess (One Step Ahead and Elizabeth's Eyes), aren't really in the same league as either his very old or his most recent work. So basically I bought it for the new tracks, of which there are only four.
Times Like These failed to grab my attention when I first listened to it - maybe it will grow on me. Dangerous Eyes, Cloud Nine and What It Is are all great though, and reminiscent of 15 Minutes and To Be Frank.
If you don't already own Nik's early albums or one of the countless compilation CDs, then this is a 5-star must buy. But if, like me, you already have copies of over half the tracks, Then & Now represents dubious value-for-money. On the other hand, if you love Nik's music, then you will want the new tracks. Personally I think it's a shame that Nik didn't record new versions of his oldies.
I somehow doubt that Then & Now will revive Nik's career, which is a great shame as he remains one of the most original and talented singer/songwriters in the business...

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for all nk fans!, 22 Oct 2006
P. E. Arthur "nk raver" (bournemouth, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Then & Now (Audio CD)
this was only the 2nd nik album i was able to find that i did not possess in some other format, seeing as it only came out last year. as a member of the official forum for nk, it was not long before i'd heard about this and was discussing it with my fellow fans, among other things.

it made me so happy to think that nik was still going strong and his music has definately inproved in places on how it was in the 80s and 90s (those 90s tracks are few and far between to find).

this album sits in my computer music library and is always played in full, at maximum volume, while i sit and reminisce with my online pals about everything nik.

it is a must for any self-respecting fan of the great, fantabby nik kershaw!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Jun 2014
super cd..

5.0 out of 5 stars Nik Kershaw love you., 24 July 2013
This review is from: Then & Now (Audio CD)
Good service from Amazon as always and love Nik was nice to hear some of his golden oldies and some new material I had not heard before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Then & Now (Audio CD)
If you want a taste of the old and new Nik Kershaw, get this CD! It seems to be remastered too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Then & Now, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Then & Now (Audio CD)
Excellent stuff from the 80s especially his timeless classics such as Wouldn't It Be Good Don Quixote and The Riddle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nik Kershaw, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Then & Now (Audio CD)
Brilliant as ever so good to hear little Nik Kershaw again I do prefer the old stuff but the new is not bad at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars nik kershaw then and now, 24 Jun 2005
Mr. Colin Green (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Then & Now (Audio CD)
what a excellent album about time he done some new tracks?not many but at least you know he is still going,my favourite track is human racing followed by i wont let the sun go down on me.
so people if you are going to buy a nik album make sure its this one.
enjoy the album

Then & Now
Then & Now by Nik Kershaw (Audio CD - 2005)