5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD in my large collection
Published on 27 Feb 2006 by Mallai

1.0 out of 5 stars oh deary me
Crimson was simply fabulous - an album which grabs your attention instantly and one you'll fall in love with.
Therefore, when you see the special edition! WITH ACOUSTIC VERSIONS! You jump with excitement and gladly shell out the cash (i suppose u do have to really love alkaline trio as i do to do that though)
Soon enough, however, you know it was a big mistake...
Published on 9 Jan 2006 by VoodooChild

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD in my large collection, 27 Feb 2006
This review is from: Crimson (Audio CD)
I own all the Alkaline Trio CD's I can get my hands on. I've been to see them in concert many times, the latest was last night in Liverpool. And in my large collection, I can safely say that Crimson Special Edition is the best Album I own. It's a new sound, but you can still hear the old sound coming through. If you're a big fan, you'll love it. It's both new and classic, I would definately suggest buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Skiba Project' No More..?, 22 July 2005
G. Jones (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crimson (Audio CD)
'Crimson' shows The Alkaline Trio at their best to date. If you heard 'Good Mourning' and expect part two, you'll be in for a pleasent suprise. Those of you who know the band for songs off older albums like 'Cringe' 'Radio' 'Bleeder' and 'This Is Getting Over You' will hear flashes of their older genius in these new and musically challenging songs. 'Mercy Me' is likely to be the next single released and serves as a reminder of who the band is, before rocking your stereo with lyrical masterpieces such as 'Fall Victim' 'The Poison' 'Back To Hell' (another old school Alkaline Trio track) and my personal favourite, 'I Was A Prayer' where bassist Dan Andriano puts to bed any scathing criticism in the past of the band being 'the Matt Skiba project.' Thankfully, 'Sadie,' previously released on the BYO SPlit with the up-and-coming 'One Man Army' is on the album, bringing notable force to the album. The band have hit a new musical high, with Derek Grant (ex Vandals) lending vocals to strengthen the lyrics on tracks like 'Burn' and 'Mercy Me.' With a nation wide tour announced, be sure you know every word, because an album like this deserves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a good champagne..., 24 May 2005
This review is from: Crimson (Audio CD)
I'm a HUGE alkaline trio fan. I'm bias. But Good Mourning let me down and i was nervous about Crimson. However, just 10 seconds in i knew i was going to love it. The trio have grown up, the lyrics are much deeper and the sounds sharper. The piano and strings add to the texture to produce a much more mature, anthemic recording than ever before. As always, Matt and Dan have sung what theyve written themselves, giving an emotional, personal perspective on each song. I love their old stuff (particularly the self-titled album) but i love their new stuff equally as much because it's such a different sound. It's hard to change with a band you love so much but you can't help it with Crimson. It's a modern masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!!!, 2 July 2006
Wonderboy (Sutton, England) - See all my reviews
I'd never really heard alkaline trio before in my life, just a couple of tracks, but for some reason I brought this album it is actually amazing!!! the first disk surprised me at how brilliant it was, and then the second disk this blew me away the demo verions were great and the acoustic tracks are brilliant. This could be one of the greastest albums i have ever purchased.

YOU MUST BUY THIS ALBUM!

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but not necessarily disappointing, 4 April 2006
This album marks the poppiest point in Alkaline Trio's career to date. It's produced to the point of being over-produced and Derek Grant's influence on the band is seen very clearly. It is a much more mature record than anything they have previously released, but it does sometimes have a polished, un-edgy feel to it that leaves you less than enthralled. It's not as gut-wrenchingly heartfelt or straightforward as previous releases. This means that they will likely break further into the mainstream with this record, which some fans will love and others hate. I think the stand-out tracks are Time To Waste, the opening single with a piano introduction and an atmospheric, built up feel to it, and Burn, which really shows the Trio at their best. Sadie is a brilliant track, but is a remastered version of a song recorded by the Trio years ago, which I feel is something of a cop out. I love the song though and I'm glad more people will get to hear it by buying this album. It's just a pity they didn't come up with a brand new, original and amazing track in its place. The overuse of hi-hats in the percussion side of things can become irritating but overall this is a highly listenable CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acoustic, 27 Jan 2006
Crimson is a brilliant album and most definately worth owning if you thought anything of any previous trio releases. The 'acoustic versions' aren't meant to be polished to perfection. The whole point is that a lot of the songs are demos of the songs that actually Are recorded in a basement, still worth listening to as some of the songs sound Completely different and you can hear how the songs progressed to the album state. Don't expect a beautifully recorded acoustic bonus album, Do expect intersting alternative rough versions of the songs recorded prior to the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 15 April 2005
This review is from: Crimson (Audio CD)
I was sent all the tracks to this album a few days ago now. They are so good i almost cried. i have been waiting for a new alkaline trio album, and was wondering if it was going to stand up to good mourning, and it does. All of the tracks are brilliant. There are heavier riffs than their past albums, they use alot of effects and pianos, violins and there are good guitar solos (Track 7: Sadie). the lyrics are just as dark as all their other albums. Matt and dan have perfect vocals in this album, and i think its the first time they exchange verses and vocals in songs. This album is fantastic. I dont know if there are going to be extra bonus tracks put on the UK version, but i hope there are! This is a must for any alkaline trio fan or punk fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars skiba and co have done it again!, 16 Dec 2005
By A Customer
Crimson is alkaline trio's eagerly awaited new album released earlier this year. What can I say...it doesn't disappoint at all! They haven't released something commercial or totally out of form, but Crimson is yet another great collection of tracks that can be enjoyed by anyone. Favourite's for me are 'sadie', 'mercy me' and the awesomeness of 'poison'. It's worth buying the special edition, it's the same price but it's great to be able to hear how the tracks evolved from being Matt's basement projects through to big hits such as 'time to waste.' It all fits together really well, every track has the same alkaline trio sound we all know and love, but it's not just a repeat of every other album. This is in my top five albums of 2005, Crimson really is a must-own!

5.0 out of 5 stars God Bless Catastrophe, 5 Jun 2005
This review is from: Crimson (Audio CD)
When Alkaline Trio reaches the success of My Chemical Romance is uncertain but with this record they could do just that.
Crimson showcases a much darker, brooding sound. The humour is very much dried up here, but they never step away from their background. Of course on that note there is nothing here that could match songs like Private Eye or Radio, in fact the first single 'Time to Waste' is one of their most haunting tunes ever.
This album is definately better than Good Mourning, in fact with songs like 'The Poison' and 'I was a Prayer' Dan Andriano's talents outshine some of Matt Skiba's songs from previous records. If you enjoyed 'Old Skool Reasons' on Good Mourning you'll be pleased to hear there is more tunes with Dan and Matt swapping vocal duties like on the fantastic 'Mercy Me' or the devilish 'Settle for Satin'.
My favourite songs have to be Back to Hell as it is a good fashioned punk song with great lyrics and Sadie is a fantastically moving ballad, with an epic chorus, a great opening and a lovely ending making it the album's centrepiece.
I hope this helps, i've found it hard trying to write this review, but most importantly i hope this encourages you to buy this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking comeback :D, 24 May 2005
Sarah Barker "Sarah B" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crimson (Audio CD)
I was so excited about this new album. I've been a fan for ages and each album has been brilliant and with all the hype surrounding this one I was literally bursting to get it! So was I disappointed? Only the teeniest tiniest bit...
Don't get me wrong, there are some absolutely outstanding songs (and I mean Outstanding with a capital 'O')...'Time To Waste', 'The Poison', 'Burn', 'Mercy Me' & 'Dethbed' with 'The poison' being one of THE best Dan songs ever! But I keep remembering the Alkaline Trio of old, which is part of the reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5.
I can't help thinking when listening to this album that the songs are quite slow and mid tempo, when I'm hankering for the speed of old songs such as 'As You Were', 'Cop', 'Madame Me', 'Mr. Chainsaw' and the untouchable 'Sundials'. However saying that 'Back To Hell' off Crimson could give them all a run for their money.
Other songs are growers, just as 'Emma' and 'I'm Dying Tomorrow' were on past albums. 'Prevent This Tragedy', 'Fall Victim' and 'Your Neck' are good enough songs, they just take a while before they start to work their charm. However 'I Was A Prayer' unfortunately doesn't quite reach that charm.
Also included on this album is a reworked version of 'Sadie' that first appeared on the split CD the Trio did with One Man Army. I'm so glad they did this because it's such a beautiful song and now everyone gets to hear it :)
I'm also glad that Matt and Dan have started to share vocals in songs now instead of one song being written by Matt and another by Dan. Derek has also got more into his role. Whilst still being a cracking drummer he even supplies backing vocals to some songs ('Burn...').
I'd also want to highlight the few bum songs on the album. I don't know what Dan was thinking when he wrote 'Smoke' but it's just so cheesy and there's barely any guitars on it, just wobbly synthesised keyboards and a very wrong choice of songs to end an album on. It's along the same sorts of rubbishness lines as 'You've Got So Far To Go' from 'Maybe I'll Catch Fire'. And while isn't nearly as bad as 'Smoke' I just can't seem to get into 'Settle For satin', although others have disagreed.
There's also a brilliant enhanced bit on the CD showing parts of the recording process which is quite enlightening, insightful and humerous.
Maybe the fact that they're changing the way they write songs or the sound they're producing is all for the better, but I would still recommend that after purchasing this CD go and buy their first album 'Goddamnit' and listen to the difference. It's badly produced and a lot darker but it's brilliant!
But overall: A damned good listen!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa587f390)

Crimson
Crimson by Alkaline Trio (Audio CD - 2010)