5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the critics say!
Published on 25 Jan. 2011 by J. Booth

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music, sloppy package
Published on 6 Jan. 2006 by Tim Edmonds

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music, sloppy package, 6 Jan. 2006
Tim Edmonds "tim427" (Minehead) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Nine (Audio CD)
I have always regarded 'Nine' as being among the best Fairport albums, representing the brief flowering of the post Nicol/Thompson band before the return of Sandy Denny changed the musical direction again. The previous album 'Rosie' was something of a stopgap but had marked the arrival of Trevor Lucas and Jerry Donahue, both former members of Sandy's band Fotheringay, and on 'Nine' they make major contributions. Lucas's rich and resonant voice and Donahue's fluent lead guitar were completely different from their predecessors, Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson, but they gave a distinctive tone to a revitalised and cohesive musical unit built on the sure foundation of the three Daves. Dave Swarbrick's playing is superb throughout, and his vocals are pretty good too, while Dave Mattacks and Dave Pegg are on top form.
This album has been out on CD for many years, so what do the remaster and repackaging give us? Well the sound is certainly excellent, although I can't honestly say that I can pinpoint how and where the remastering has changed things. There are four bonus tracks. The Australian single release of "Fiddlestix" is here, complete with strings and banjo, and there are three 1973 live recordings made in London. Of these the most interesting is Bob Dylan's "George Jackson" of which, to my knowledge, no other Fairport recording has ever been released. The 'enhanced packaging' consists of a card slip-case and an insert booklet. The latter contains track details, photos, notes by Jerry Donahue and lyrics for the vocal tracks on the original album.
It is with the last of these that my criticisms lie because I would expect the lyrics provided to be the correct, definitive, versions - which, alas, they are not. Several of them seem to have been produced by someone listening to the songs, mishearing them, and then just writing down their interpretation without any kind of sanity check or review. I smelt a rat when I noticed that the lyric for "Polly on the Shore" contained the lines 'Farewell my family and my friends, likewise my barley too'. Come again? I thought the young lady's name was 'Polly' not 'barley'. I then saw that in "The Hexhamshire Lass" and "Bring 'em Down" some words have just been left out altogether and in both these songs there are whole phrases that don't make sense. For example, in the former the line 'Her breasts are deep but full, they'll fall when I get near her' has become 'Her breasts are deep and cool, they'll warm when I get near her', and in the latter 'Your hearts are full of hatred' has become 'Your hearts are full of paper'!
Admittedly some of the words ARE difficult to hear, but isn't that why we rely on having the right ones in the booklet? The worst case, for which there can be no excuse, is what the lyric-transcriber has done to the Richard Lovelace poem "To Althea, from Prison". Here 'my divine Althea' has, incredibly, been re-written as 'my divine now fear' and the lines 'When thirsty grief in wine we steep, When healths and draughts go free' have been transmogrified into 'When first decreeth in wine we steep, When healths and rafts run free'! Need I go on?
So, although the music is certainly four star, the slapdash treatment of the lyrics takes the shine off the package and reduces my rating to three stars. We, and Fairport, deserve better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the critics say!, 25 Jan. 2011
J. Booth (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nine (Remastered) (MP3 Download)
There have been many reviews of this album that have dismissed it as unworthy. I have never understood them. This has always been one of my favourite albums from the opening bounce of Hexhamshire lass to the rocking workout that is Possibly Parsons Green. There are some wonderful deep full crunchy guitar parts, particularly in Polly and Bring 'Em Down, some great inventive arrangements (Bring 'Em Down again, and the gorgeous To Althea From Prison, Swarb's best ever vocal), and some brilliant guitar work from Jerry Donahue.
The remaster has added some live tracks and a rare instrumental but there are no great changes to the sound, perhaps a little sharper in the detail - but unlike some remastering, at least it hasn't spoiled it!
My advice? Forgot the critics. Listen to this and make your own mind up. You may be surprised just how much you enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nine, Fairport Convention (2005 Island reissue) - Brilliancy, 15 Mar. 2010
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nine (Audio CD)
In this, the ninth album from `70's folk heroes Fairport Convention, Swarb and the lads serve up yet another helping of rollicking tunes. This is a record jam packed with foot taping, hummable tunes that get stuck in your head for ages after listening. Special highlights for me are the opener `Hexamshire Lass' and the classic `Pleasure and Pain'. This might not quite be the equal of the glory days of `Liege and Leaf' or `Full House', but the lads are all expert musicians (especially Dave Swarbrick on violin) and obviously enjoy working together. These two factors are essential to making a good record, and that is what has resulted here.

This reissue is particularly good. The sound is nicely remastered and restored. There are comprehensive liner notes and several bonus tracks, which add to the album. These include `Devil in the Kitchen', a single of the time and a fantastic tune. The rest are from a contemporary live recording.

An excellent release of an excellent album. Of definite interest to all folk rock fans and ex (or even still going) hippies...

4.0 out of 5 stars The Boys Convention, 7 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Nine (Audio CD)
Like Full House this was an album without a female vocalist. Sandy Denny had been seen to be the voice of Fairport Convention, she had been on the title track of the previous album Rosie, released earlier the same year, but here the show what a strong band they are, they have always been greater than the sum of their parts. I saw them at the Caird Hall in Dundee when they toured to support this album. and they were brilliant. My dad was a bit sniffy about the idea of a folk band playing in a concert hall (the place for folk music is in the home and in bars not in concert halls, he used to say). This was one of the first times I challenged my dad on in a grown up argument, I don't think I convinced him but it was a minor turning point for me. Trevor Lucas and Dave Swarbrick were reluctant lead vocalists, I think, but they pull it off excellently. The musicianship is rather brilliant and I agree with other reviewers here that this is a dreadfully undervalued Fairport Convention album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long time coming, 10 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Nine (Audio CD)
But worth the wait, I have had it on vinyl since it was released and I did achive the LP through Itunes to my computer,who promptly lost it,... now every time I try again It tells me It's allready on,.... but where???? so I bought the CD instead ,good choice.
especially Trevor Lucas's Superb vocals on "Polly on the Shore" a stunning CD and all the extra tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but goldie, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Nine (Audio CD)
We still have the vinyl version of "Nine", and the CD version is a good replica of an album which was never a top seller but is filled with gems all the same. Dave Swarbrick does some sterling work with his vocal talents as well as his fiddling, and together the band creates a masterful set that will be a delight to anyone who hasn't yet discovered it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Prefer some of their earlier work., 6 Oct. 2013
Bhillstead "Jillstead's say." (Lincolnshire. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nine (Audio CD)
Having bought several of their CD's, I find their earlier work more entertaining than this partiular CD.I prefer Richard Thompson's songs

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 Oct. 2014
Good item

Nine
Nine by Fairport Convention (Audio CD - 2005)