5.0 out of 5 stars The land of imagination
This is surely one of the greatest television shows ever created. In 1959, Rod Serling began The Twilight Zone and took millions of viewers on a journey into the land of imagination, and never has a television show excited the imagination like this.

Published on 4 Sep 2005 by B. KIRKHAM

3.0 out of 5 stars Great content, awful presentation
Published on 5 Aug 2006 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars The land of imagination, 4 Sep 2005
B. KIRKHAM "kirkham_ben" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twilight Zone - Complete Season One Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)

The first series is the show's finest and sees some superb and powerful episodes, such as the touching and emotional 'Walking Distance' in which a man returns to the days of his childhood, the humourous 'Escape Clause', in which a hypochondriac makes a deal with the devil, the gloomy and unnerving 'Judgment Night', and the masterpiece of encroaching fear that is 'And When The Sky Was Opened.'
The amazing thing about the Twilight Zone was its ability to play with mood and instill different emotions, such as the truly creepy 'The Hitch-Hiker', in which a woman travelling cross-country is confronted time and again by the same ominous figure on the roadside. 'Time Enough at Last' is a classically ironic episode showing Serling's writing at its best. Charles Beaumont's 'Perchance To Dream' is fabulous, as is Richard Matheson's intriguing 'The Last Flight'. The clever trickery of the stylish 'The Four of us Are Dying' shows just how far ahead of the times the show was.
Powerful episodes such as 'The Purple Testament' and 'The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street' are balanced with the fun 'A World of Difference' and 'The Fever', the truly terrifying 'Mirror Image' and 'The After Hours' are together with such sentimental episodes as 'A Stop At Willoughby' and 'A Passage For Trumpet'. Superb stuff.
At last The Twilight Zone comes to DVD properly - remastered and with Special Features, this sublime series finally gets the release it deserves. The Twilight Zone is timeless, clever, fun, evocative, thought-provoking, terrifying, funny, gloomy and touching. A true tribute to the genius of Rod Serling.

4.0 out of 5 stars sublime box set, 20 Mar 2006
First, let me say that Amazon did have the best value on offer for this DVD special box set, and that it's definately worth buying it.
I was already familiar with some of the best episodes of the series, when they were shown on the Sci-Fi Channel to celebrate its 40th anniversary. That's when I really got hooked!
This beautifully presented 6 DVD box set comes with a very comprehensive book detailing each of the episodes from the entire series (not just the first series). It is marvelously documented, illustrated and written.
The only thing that could have been done better is the sound quality of some of the commentaries added to the episodes, as well as the cursor highlighting when you're browsing through the episodes: the light blue color can't be seen very well over the white titles.
Apart from these minor issues, I give full marks for this beautiful collection. The episodes featured are absolutely breathtaking. I can't wait for the next series to come out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great content, awful presentation, 5 Aug 2006
A very entertaining series, but the producers of this DVD set really needed to try harder. The fuzzy video quality is just about acceptable - the awful sound (much worse than the black and white episodes from the 60s, and easily the worst I've heard on DVD) is not. Even with bad originals, I'm sure something could have been done to clarify the dialogue by tweaking the frequency ranges in the soundtracks. In the sleeve notes, carelessness is also evident. Titles are printed in black on a dark blue background: unreadable!

As I say, the quality of the stories and performance is generally great: it's just a pity the producers didn't take more care producing the DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent remake of Rod Serling's original classic, 19 Jun 2007
I really like this and think it is an excellent remake and although it is probably darker overall(not in a blood and guts kind of way), I don't think that it disrespects Rod Serling's original classic in anyway. I remember seeing a few episodes of this as a child in the 1980's but not that many, it was the first version that I saw and I think that it used to be on really late so that would propably explain it. I have been collecting the original version boxsets and really liking them so I couldn't resist buying the colour versions aswell as I really like anthology shows anyway plus it gives me a chance to see all the ones that I missed.

This season one colour boxset has twenty four episodes but it actually has about fifty nine stories, some episodes have two stories and some have three, some longer than others, roughly between ten and thirty minutes long, although don't be put off by the ten minute ones as they are short but effective. Like the original this is a good mix of everything from scary to weird. I know this might upset some fans of the original but I have to say that I think that the music and opening title of this version is better than then original, I find it very and I mean very creepy, it samples the original theme tune but adds all kinds of weird noises and images plus there is that one second glimpse of Rod Serling himself which I find very haunting.

The only thing that disappoints me about this boxset is like other people have mentioned, that the quality of the sound and picture should have been better, it is as if the sound wasn't mixed very well in the first place, although I already knew this from reading other peoples comments, it wasn't enough of a problem for me to not buy it and so I would say don't let this put you off plus life is too short to wait around to see if any proper remasters are ever released but it is still frustrating considering dvds were made in the first place for the best possible picture and sound quality. One more thing I would like to say about this version is to not be put off by the 1980's fashion as this would be unfair considering that this decade was colourful anyway and so you can't really blame it for this, if you do then you will be really missing out if you like this type of show.

So then, if like me you love the original, are open minded and like anthology shows, then you would have to be an extreme snob to ignore this, so if you can afford to buy or borrow it, then give it a chance and make your own verdict.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality., 20 Mar 2006
Christoph Peterson (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
The sound quality on these episodes is so poor that quite often i have to stop and replay the scene to understand some of the dialogue. It is in MONO, I'm disappointed that no-one made the effort to improve the audio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight memories, 25 Oct 2005
The first thing i remember about the 80's version was me staying up late to watch it on late night tv (usually after 1am!) during the 1990's, and this disk has most of my favorites!
The first episode has Bruce Willis in an episode where he is fighting against his better side for control of his soul. My all time fav is Dealers choice about the devil sitting in on a poker game waiting to collect someone. All classics!
Unlike the new series thats now being made, the 80's show did over do the special effects, and in the parts where there is some, it just adds to the magic.
If you're a fan of the show, this DVD is a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars A series of delights, here in The Twilight Zone, 27 Dec 2009
I am a huge fan of anothologies horror and sci fi so when I bought this set and watched it I became hooked. I am ashamed to say that I had only ever seen the John Landis's The Twilight Zone movie. This series is revamped from the Rod Serling original series which I believe ran for 5 series. It was again revamped for a short run in 2002. For those expecting the kind of stories told by the excellent Tales from the crypt will probably not enjoy this too much as it has more light hearted stories than rip your gutts out stuff. Its more sci fi and fantasy than horror but believe me when I say its fun stuff to watch often smart and funny and the Christmas story is very heartwarming even for stone hearted folk. The transfer is what you would expect for its time so its a miracle at the quality they have managed. Watch out for well knowns like Bruce Willis, Elliot Gould, Helen Mirren and more. Wes Craven has a part in the first disc of stories and there is a story by Stephen King in there too that as I write this I havent yet seen as I am only on disc 4. So far its a joy to own, cancelled after only 3 series due to then poor ratings (in the 80's I guess this wasnt what people wanted, Dynesty anyone?) it is a worty buy and a bargain. My only issue is that I would have loved this set to include a retrospective on The Twilight Zone, that would have been awesome I suppose there is time enough for that yet...here...now...somewhere in The Twilight Zone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bargained DVD and book!, 13 April 2014
Everything was in great condition. The book, you could see, had never been used. Not even opened. And the DVD were also of first class quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars dvd, 19 Mar 2014
The product i have purchased is everything i expected it to be and compliant with the advertisement relating to the goods being sold.

4.0 out of 5 stars In keeping with the original series, 22 Jun 2012
The atmosphere is quite similar to the atmosphere in the first series dating back from 1959. Fairly slow-paced and eerie at times, with a deep voice-over telling us about the characters.
Each episode is divided into 2 or 3 shorter stories. Some are surprisingly didactic, with a clear safety message like 'Don't drink and drive' or 'Look after your children, don't entrust them to TV programmes'.

The Twilight Zone - Complete Season One Limited Edition [DVD]