5.0 out of 5 stars excellent
This movie is excellent and I loved it very much. I am difficult to please when it comes to movies but this is one film that I liked from the start very much I want to see again and again. It's witty and clever comedy that there is a lot of good tasty laughs right through it

Published on 22 Jan. 2006 by mpujeh

3.0 out of 5 stars could have been better
Published on 18 Aug. 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 22 Jan. 2006
mpujeh (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The film is very organised and Terry Perry portrays it in a realistic way and it's very believeable.
Charles McCarter played by Steve Harris is a successful Atlanta defense attorney who lives a good life. His cute and gorgeous wife, Helen, played by the brilliant, Kimberly Elise is ejected out of their opulent home by Charles for another woman.
The handsome Orlando played by Shemar Moore comes into Helen's life at this moment and he is the van driver that Charles has hired to help get Helen to the other side of town where she goes to live with her aunt, Madea played by Tyler Perry in drag. Perry plays the part very well but his voice belies him.
Madea is a hot-headed, gun-toting lunatic who is a good laugh right through the movie. Tyler also plays Helen's cousin, Brian who has a wife with a drug problem.
The film is narrated by Helen as her own experiences and she is brilliant acting. This is not a religious film and it does not imply or advocate christian values. Perry has written a believable, good story line which a lot of ordinary people can identify with. In addition, Perry does a good work of portraying his characters as ordinary people with ordinary prejudices and vices. This film is NOT about forgiveness, romance or only-christian-values can save y'all.
I have watched Diary of A Mad Black Woman many times and I never tire of watching it. Kimberly Elise is fabulous and brilliant and Perry is a good laugh.
Tyler Perry has been writing plays since he was 18 and has grossed over $75 millions in tickets and DVD sales and this is the best play he has written up to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Movie!, 14 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Diary Of A Mad Black Woman [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
This movie is not for a "Johnathon Ross" (UK Film reviewer) type critique/review. If you are from an Afro American/Carribean background you will appreciate and understand where this movie is coming from. It manages a good mix of humour yet effectively touches on tough issues that affect the black community and outlines the value of God, love, forgiveness and a strong sense of character in the face of adversity. Definitely hits the spot, my brothers and sisters. Excellent effort and in my opinion, a worthy addition to any DVD collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 2 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Diary Of A Mad Black Woman [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
I thought that this movie was absolutly brilliant, it's got everything you need. From laughter and drama to tears. For entertainment its value for money, but if your looking for something more meaningful and or artistic then this may not be for you, go and watch sideways. I am a big movie buff and love watching movies from all genres and this is deffinatly on my must buy list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Entertainment, 9 Feb. 2011
mel (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diary Of A Mad Black Woman [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
The movie whilst low budget had an excellent plot and was very watchable. While there were strong threads of comedy it also had a serious side giving much food for thought about what could happen when a relationship broke down. The only negative thing I have to saay about this film is that occasionally one could not hear (catch) what Madea and Grandpa were saying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Start, 1 July 2010
Diary of a Mad Black Woman (2pc) (Ws Spec Dub) [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]This was the very first film that I ever watched regarding Tyler Perry's work - and both my wife and I became instant fans and great admirers of his work since then. I think this film will remain remarkable and the story is timeless. From the heart-wrenching scene of the wife being forcefully thrown out of her mansion for the mistress of her husband to change in this woman's life to triumph - an exceptional feat. This film was to go on to lead the rest of the world to the inspiring works of Tyler Perry. This is a really great film to start your Tyler Perry collection and is actually a collector's item.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good movie, 11 Sept. 2008
J. Thomas (london uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diary Of A Mad Black Woman [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
i found this very touching and true to form.this movie made you look at life and these thing really do happen all my friends and family have watched this and said it is brilliant.i have watched this movie over and over.it is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this movie, 17 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Diary Of A Mad Black Woman [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
This movie is brilliant. Yes, it is a comedy but all so true of the type of man featured. Every real sista should have a copy of this film. I couldn't believe how factual this movie was, never before have I seen anything so close to the living truth regarding feckless Black men.
This film really does expose 'the myth' about black women, especially here in the UK where the Black man is so confused and seriously messed up. Why was this movie not on general release, truly would it have been shown, I doubt it! I cannot wait to see the reaction of the sad Black men over here in the UK, when or should I say if this is ever televised at a decent hour....Not likely!
I thoroughly enjoyed this film and I have recommended it to all my friends and relations, and for those who haven't purchased it, I will personally buy it for them. Thank you Amazon for bringing this film to the forefront, providing access to material like this for us in the UK is such a delight!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, 13 April 2006
This review is from: Diary Of A Mad Black Woman [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
This is a most see film. I have only realised that Tyler Perry has a series of these such films. It is just fantastic. I highly recommend this film plus the new one Family reunion which I have just seen and I swear it has been a long time that I have seen a film that has touched me like that. Marvelous!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars could have been better, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Diary Of A Mad Black Woman [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
I think this movie could have been so much better if it waren't for the main leads. The opening scenes of the movie are quite terrible and soap-operish. Kimberly Elise is really weak as the female protagonist. Instead of coming across as the sympathetic victim she comes across as almost inviting the ill treatment. If I were her husband, I probably would have treated her the way he did too. She's pathetic and a completely one dimensional character. I wasn't convinced by her sudden bursts of anger and rage later on in the movie either- the acting wasn't great. The same applies to the man who plays her husband. He gives a very flat and one dimensional portrayal of his character. I felt bored just watching him.

That said, the saving grace of the movie is Madea (she's a scene-stealer) and the other characters- including Shemar Moore, who unlike Kimberly Elise is convincing as his character. I LOVE the romance between these two. Tyler Perry really knows how to get into a woman's head and create a feel-good movie. The story line was also interesting and with better leads, the movie could have made a stronger statement. Madea's Family Reunion, which was made after this one is definately an improvement.

1.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't watch it!, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Diary Of A Mad Black Woman [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
I received this DVD years ago with another DVD but could not watch them because it was an American DVD. This was not specified, so I was really disappointed!

Diary Of A Mad Black Woman [DVD] [NTSC]
Diary Of A Mad Black Woman [DVD] [NTSC] by Darren Grant (DVD - 2010)