on 1 March 2011
I'm a great fan of these old creature features,but was a bit disappointed with this one. The film itself is great,and I was surprised to see that it's in colour as I expected it to be B+W,but the film's picture quality is not so good. There appear to be several issues of this film,and on the one I have there's far too much contrast on the picture. In nightime scenes you can't see anything at all,and it's often difficult to see what's going on even in the daylight scenes due to the pronounced shadows. Altogether a typical and entertaining film of the genre,but spoilt quite a bit by the poor picture resolution.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The title's a bit ambiguous, isn't it? I mean, is this a giant invasion of spiders, or is it an invasion by a single giant spider? As it turns out, it's a little bit of both. It's also a pretty lousy B-movie ripe for heckling, as the boys at MST3K certainly proved - in retrospect, this one was almost too easy. When you start the dialogue with Alan "Skipper" Hale greeting a visitor to his sheriff's office with the words "little buddy," you know this isn't going to be an exercise in mental acuity. If you've never seen any of the Gilligan's Island gang in their post-Gilligan movie careers, consider yourself lucky because it isn't pretty (although nothing can approach the ignominy of Jim Backus in Angels' Revenge - a film that also featured Alan Hale).
This film takes place in the ultra-exciting surroundings of the Wisconsin countryside. Apparently, the big invasion either got off-course or the invaders were looking for easy pickings (or perhaps they just really, really like cheese). The invaders have a fairly explosive arrival, but no one seems to care very much - except the sheriff, who quickly gets annoyed with all the reports of cars and electrical gizmos suddenly not working that night. The next day, the biggest rube in Wisconsin finally meanders out into his field to find some mutilated cows and mysterious rocks. These rocks start turning up everywhere, and - amazingly - no one seems to notice the fact that really hairy spiders crawl out of the things when they finally burst. A local scientist does care about all of the unusual scientific readings she is suddenly getting in the area, and her reports encourage NASA to send out a greasy scientist to see what's what. The two of them come up with a cockamamie story about a black hole hitting the earth spewing out alien spiders. I guess that's one way to explain the sudden spider infestation and, eventually, the appearance of the mother of all spiders to terrorize the local yokels.
Nothing much really happens until the gigantic spider finally turns up. Sure, it's obviously just a VW bug in disguise, but I think it does look fairly impressive making its way just over yon hill toward town. In at least one respect, it does have a deadly aspect to it, as several crew members were almost killed during filming. Perhaps the scariest character in the film, however, is the fiery preacher who pops up from time to time, mainly as a vehicle for the sheriff's constantly bad jokes.
If you enjoy old B-movie monster movies, you might actually get a kick out of Giant Spider Invasion - well, probably not, but at least you'll pretty much know what to expect (which is not much). How can you resist a campy giant spider movie, though?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 February 2014
If in doubt about my veracity in giving 1 star, do check some of my other reviews and you will see I don't give 1 star...Except here. Make no mistake - this is a genuinely bad film. Hopeless direction, script, photography (the climax is so dark it's almost impossible to follow), and sadly, with what seemed a good cast (Brodie/Hale, Alan and Barbara), this is a disaster from start to finish. Please take this seriously. IT'S A BAD FILM! Not recomended to anyone. I got it for £2 at a Film Fair, but the price here on Amazon is monstrous. I think I have made my point clear.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've recently been collecting b-movies and decided to buy this one as it appeared in the recommendations.

Usually with these movies I like the fact they're so bad they're actually good, but this is just bad!

Not really a plot to follow, terrible effects and acting and I was glad when the movie had finished!

I don't think I'll be watching this again!